Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Torsion bar
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Torsion bar Reply with quote

Where the bar comes through the plate it looks off center, see image at about 10 o'clock position compared to 4 o'clock. Would that be where squeaking comes from?
Is the bushing wore out?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar Reply with quote

Yes, there are two bushings on either side that you need to replace. Search for rear spring plate bushing replacement steps or something along those lines to see what is involved. Prob some vids on the internet as well.

http://www.vw-resource.com/rearaxle.html
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar Reply with quote

When you remove the cap with that much wear you will also need to replace the cap it more than likely worn out also check for a lot of rust in the cap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar Reply with quote

citroen wrote:
When you remove the cap with that much wear you will also need to replace the cap it more than likely worn out also check for a lot of rust in the cap.

You can also transpose the caps side to side if they have minor/medium wear.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
helowrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar Reply with quote

ldj1002,
Yes,
It is time for trailing arm bushings.
If I am going that far in, I change the diagonal arm bushing, rear soft brake lines, clean/inspect the rear bearings, clean/inspect rear brakes, and clean/inspect the cv joints.
None of these are expensive, or very complicated, and once you are done, its good for a long time.

I would recommend buying/borrowing a Torque Tool for the rear axle nut.
It makes the process much easier to get the drum off.
73 914 1.7
12 Passat 2.5 Highway cruiser
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar Reply with quote

helowrench wrote:
ldj1002,
Yes,
It is time for trailing arm bushings.
If I am going that far in, I change the diagonal arm bushing, rear soft brake lines, clean/inspect the rear bearings, clean/inspect rear brakes, and clean/inspect the cv joints.
None of these are expensive, or very complicated, and once you are done, its good for a long time.

I would recommend buying/borrowing a Torque Tool for the rear axle nut.
It makes the process much easier to get the drum off.

Thanks very much. I have already done the brakes when bringing it back to life. However from what I have read I don't want to tackle the bushings. Hoping to locate someone in Waco that can and will do it for me.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Torsion bar Reply with quote

Since you are re doing the whole rear end replace the body to suspension pads as well if needed...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672129
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: