Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your ghia this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Almost done with the headlight clip body work.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Blasted the old heat exchangers, primed, and painted with high heat resistant paint. Also finished painting all the engine tin.

chipster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got headliner flattening put, A & B pillars pasted. Running some 3rd brake wires up to rear top before gluing those, though. Progress is slow, but something! Happy about the color comparison with the paint, TMI tan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DomG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Purchased New Tie Rods and Tie Rod ends, New Ball joints, A steering Damper, steering coupler, and trailing arm bushings for my 69 Ghia...no garage to do the work and just waiting for a weekend with no rain to get started! The death shimmy is killing me!
jdotConnor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Came home to parents AZ house from MA. Prepped the Ghia for shipping
Installed drop spindles, new taillights to replace broken one, bled brakes, removed rear reflectors as they were both broken (found original paint! Totally different shade. DOH!)

Also found a number of suspect issues
Random fuse holder

Vacuum line from drivers side intake runner plugged

Some hose descending on passenger side that seems plugged

Lone wire near disconnected altitude aduster(?) someone explained it to me but I forgot name/purpose

Sacrifices to the VW gods....
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The hose under the engine is correct. Its the road draft tube. The over spray on the altitude adjuster confirms your repaint. Looks like originally Irish Green.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

The fuse holder and wire near the altitude adjuster are probably for the rear window demister. There's about a 1:1000 change it is working, but might be worth checking!

The vacuum port on the inlet manifold probably connects to the altitude adjuster itself, then another vacuum line goes to a throttle Positioner on the carb (if you have it!) The assembly slows the throttle closing time, and mine was fixable, but you might not think it worth the effort!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
thruhiker74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

jdotConnor wrote:

Overall, nice looking car! Fun to see another AZ Ghia, although sounds like it won't be for long. Funny--your AZ Historic Plate starts with WX, as does mine here in Tucson.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

You do have the throttle positioner, so it's probably fixable. I've pinched the picture from your gallery... super nice original engine bay! That would clean up beautifully, and it looks like almost all of the components are original. Love the stencilling on the fan shroud. Don't throw any of it away in haste! Very Happy

Shady Cove Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

rear Seat up or down??
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Got it ready for driving. It was sounding odd the last time I drove it, and turns out the support bracket for the quietpack muffler broke for the third time. I was fresh out of the header gasket, so the FLAPS let me rummage around in their gasket section and I found a gasket for an Austin Healy that fit with a slight adjustment of the three bolt holes. When I pulled the quietpack off, I also discovered it had cracked in the middle, all the way around it's circumference. I put the bullet style muffler on and it was quieter than the broken quietpack. Rejetted the carb and cleaned the idle jet, but did not drive the car today because we had 70mph winds. I've driven it before in those kind of winds, and it was surprisingly competent, but I did not want the car sandblasted by blowing grit.

I had to make a hard decision in response to a letter from the insurance company:
1. Have the car re-registered as historic and never drive it normally again.
2. Keep it registered as is and pay six times the insurance.

My state allows driving to and from parades and car shows, and limited local use like testing, but the police in our area are now targeting vehicles with historic/antique plates, even if they are being used accordingly. Cars n Coffee and similar events are not allowed, and neither are the long country rides that our handicapped son loves so much. Rather than have the car dry up and get stiff and fussy due to lack of use, I went ahead and insured it for normal use.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Poor grasshopper... he was probably just trying to measure endplay!

J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Removed front and rear bumpers that apparently served its purpose. Boy that backside is looking gnarly. Will derust, add metal, shape, and clean up as best as a poor man can.

I'm kind of liking the straight blade look instead of the towel bars and bumper guards so may do that for the time being so that the Ghia doesn't look so naked and like it should be floating in the Pacific.

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to make a hard decision in response to a letter from the insurance company:

My state allows driving to and from parades and car shows, and limited local use like testing, but the police in our area are now targeting vehicles with historic/antique plates, even if they are being used accordingly. Cars n Coffee and similar events are not allowed, and neither are the long country rides that our handicapped son loves so much. Rather than have the car dry up and get stiff and fussy due to lack of use, I went ahead and insured it for normal use.

Make some more calls. I got that same type response from 2 or 3 insurers. Then I called AAA, Agreed value, keep it in a locked garage, must have a real daily driver, Up to 5000 miles/year no problem. I drive maybe 1500 mi/yr.
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Quote:

Make some more calls. I got that same type response from 2 or 3 insurers. Then I called AAA, Agreed value, keep it in a locked garage, must have a real daily driver, Up to 5000 miles/year no problem. I drive maybe 1500 mi/yr.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check around. 5,000 per year would be plenty since I'm not as active in the parades anymore. I found three years worth of parade participation ribbons in the glovebox when I was looking for my carb jets, lol.
digdug18
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Worked on wiring, my father bought a 1968 Ghia, and the headlights and turn signals don't work. But the emergency flashers seem to feedback through the ground possibly and flash the headlights.

Pulled the drivers side light to test the non working headlight, and odd blinker mechanism. Found that the previous owner thought that twisting bare wires together and covering with tape was the correct repair method. So I corrected everything.

Bought a new dimmer relay to install, and a new flasher relay. Some of the wiring for each is not there, or needs to be modified. Modified as in, put back to stock, using better components.

I used heat shrink, 3M electric tape, male and female connectors, spiral wrap tubing, etc. I cleaned all the connectors that are in the turn signal housing, and added a ground line. I'll be continuing to correct the wiring in the next couple of weeks.

Oddly enough I enjoy wiring, and re wiring.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

digdug18 wrote:
Worked on wiring

I used heat shrink, 3M electric tape, male and female connectors, spiral wrap tubing, etc. I cleaned all the connectors that are in the turn signal housing, and added a ground line. I'll be continuing to correct the wiring in the next couple of weeks.

Go on, go on digdug, show us some pics!
I love to see wiring solutions for the traditional Ghia 'nest'. I've got a further tidy-up of our wiring on my to-do list! Very Happy

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Quote:
I found three years worth of parade participation ribbons in the glovebox when I was looking for my carb jets, lol.

Damn!, I hate it when Im looking for my jets and all I can find is Parade Ribbons! Wink
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

digdug18 wrote:

You would have loved our '70 coupe then... the wiring was so mixed up that the headlight switch turned the engine off, and not because of a short either!
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your ghia this week? Reply with quote

Doing a bit of freshening. Cleaning up the engine room. Got a new set of "match ported manifolds from CB.

Going to refinish the tins AGAIN!

Ghia always seemed to run hotter that I liked at highway speed. In the 210-220 range. Finally procured a "Hoover Bit" Hope it helps cool things down.

I have a few others areas I want to address. I'll keep you all updated on the progress Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 113, 114, 115 ... 165, 166, 167  Next
Jump to:
Page 114 of 167

Jump to: