Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Winner-Winner...Chicken Dinner! I really like this unit. It is self contained and simply requires A/C plumbing and 12 volts and a ground. It will reside quire nicely on the floor behind the passenger seat, up against the battery box. It will take up very little floor space.

Opinions?

http://nostalgicac.com/evaporator-units/roof-floor...-unit.html

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Remove the refrigerator and pop this unit in it's place.
You just gained some floor space.
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Remove the refrigerator and pop this unit in it's place.
You just gained some floor space.

Haha! I think I would gain some storage space too!

Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

That looks very nice. Place in between the front seats and plumb in.

VWinVT wrote:
Winner-Winner...Chicken Dinner! I really like this unit. It is self contained and simply requires A/C plumbing and 12 volts and a ground. It will reside quire nicely on the floor behind the passenger seat, up against the battery box. It will take up very little floor space.

Opinions?

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Atadloco wrote:
That looks very nice. Place in between the front seats and plumb in.

VWinVT wrote:

Opinions?

Ya, I'm psyched I found this unit. In between the seats is the other option. My only concern with that is losing the walk through ability. We have two small kids 4 1/2 and 3. Things get dropped on the floor and we, should I say my wife, goes back to tend to them. Stepping up and over this unit would be cumbersome for us.

AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Is it wrong to think this could be mounted under the bench and ducted to four circular vents? I'm not sure what's required to make that happen power wise. I'll be following this closely. Popcorn

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Interesting,
I put the specs into Google and received this conversion:

8116 Kilocalorie/Hour Square Meter = 2992.11805 BTU/Hour Square Foot. Not quite the 5K Terry is suggesting but it's better than nothing.

So you get a compressor, additional crank pulley, mounting bracket and belt and a condenser, plumb it all up to this unit and stay cool? Or is there a 12 volt compressor available as well?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Gizmoman wrote:
Interesting,
I put the specs into Google and received this conversion:

8116 Kilocalorie/Hour Square Meter = 2992.11805 BTU/Hour Square Foot. Not quite the 5K Terry is suggesting but it's better than nothing.

So you get a compressor, additional crank pulley, mounting bracket and belt and a condenser, plumb it all up to this unit and stay cool? Or is there a 12 volt compressor available as well?

The nostalgic air floor unit that I am leaning towards is rated at 17,000 btu. This should be more than enough to cool the van.

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

AZ Landshaper wrote:
Is it wrong to think this could be mounted under the bench and ducted to four circular vents? I'm not sure what's required to make that happen power wise. I'll be following this closely. Popcorn

I hadn't thought of this but it a good idea. The unit is 20 inches high, so I don't think it will fit. I kinda like the idea that this unit is completely self contained and stand alone. I really don't like drilling and cutting into the interior, if I can avoid it.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Ahoy,

So, I am not sure what the front intake on the AC Vanagons does compared with water cooled, but do you have a plan to deal with minimizing air infiltration, or internal air recirc in the front? I'd guess that if you have any air coming in while underway, and especially if that is infiltrating at the front, I wonder if you have managed to control that? There are a few great threads at managing the supply air external vs internal on this forum. Seems like there are a few DIY threads, and they are very informative. I think djkeev may have one of the best visually informative ones with lots of pictures that I have poured over many times in contemplating how to handle airflow. I also think there is a good front nearly drop-in solution that couples an evap unit into the front air box right with the heater core. I'm sure I could find those threads again, if you can't. Also, you might not have heard of TenCent's kit. I'm still trying to budget it in, as I see it as a total no-brainer -- it clearly needs to be installed on my rig. You might want to take a look at his recirc ideas in the information on his interpretation of what needs modification in the front end at vanistan.com in "other accessories". Opened my eyes, for sure. Sure like how you move forward, its inspiring! Good luck!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

I'll see if I can locate photos but someone made an overhead evaporator system that mounted inside over the driver and passenger cab area. The piping came up the left "B" pillar if I recall.
It Had vents blowing to the rear and vents blowing to the front. Very rarely seen.

Dave

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

The SmallCar in dash unit is more $$$$ than I have to spend. Thanks for the tip on the Vanistan Fresh air kit, nice solution. I am just about to install a front heater core and refresh the front airbox with new flap seals, so I should be good,with controlling fresh air flow.

Wow! That ceiling unit is nice! Looks to be beyond my current abilities, however. Also, I don't know,if it would work in a Westy. Can the front roof support something like that in a Westy?

VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

On my drive to school (aka third grade happy place!! Rolling Eyes ) i was thinking that the Nostalgic air floor unit I am focused on now may just fit on the floor of the front passenger seat. Of course this is just a passing thought and I have not measured anything. But the idea has merit as the vents can be ducted into the airbox and use the stock vents. more thinking to come!! Rolling Eyes Wink

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

Here is a good DIY a/c article started by Howesight you might get a lot of ideas and info out of. You'll still be needing lots of the bits he shows, no matter where the evap unit goes.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...highlight=
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

<<I'll see if I can locate photos but someone made an overhead evaporator system >>

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]

This sure looks like a pre 86 AC set up.
The Somebody was VW.

I had one of these in my 85 GL.
Worked great, being that it cooled the inhabitants up front where they usually were, not the entire back end of the van first.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

the 83.5-85 front over head unit can be installed in a westy, least I've seen it done. it requires some creativity with the roof latch. as the AC unit goes afew inches more towards the rear..
you might also have to work out a new fabric headliner. the westy board won't work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

In my "ON" and "OFF" process of designing/finding and A/C setup for the van; I have found this small unit that provides heat and A/C. It is quite compact, yet provides 17,000 BTU's for A/C. It almost fits under the dash. It would fit very nicely behind the dash in place of the stock air box.

http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/universal-air-conditioning-heater-kit

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

You're getting better! Not a cheap unit and I do wonder about the (as I understand it) always on feature. You haven't any control of the flow and add heat to regulate temperatures?

574 british pounds is what? $730 US? Plus shipping.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You're getting better! Not a cheap unit and I do wonder about the (as I understand it) always on feature. You haven't any control of the flow and add heat to regulate temperatures?

574 british pounds is what? $730 US? Plus shipping.

Dave

Ya, it is a bit spendy, but it is a complete kit. There is a cable operated heater valve to turn heat on and of and in between. I'm not sure what the always on feature means, I will have to ask them about this.

It is cheaper than the Small car unit however.

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking input on A/C idea for my Westy Reply with quote

I was seriously looking into the Vintage Air units last year. Still may after life's latest challenge subsides.

Contemplated the space above the transmission after seeing what a samba poster (think it was Libby) had done to create a storage space in that spot. Ducting out under the bench seat next to my propex vents. Little bit more spendy but you can get complete kits or as much as you need, and customer support during the build.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: