Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

This is going to be a VERY slow project thread..... like I'm going for the record of slowest build.... you are going to wonder if I died at times. Very Happy I'll reply quickly but I have a few irons in the fire and I can't spend a lot of time on this bus right now.
A little history: I have a 1958 bug I bought when I was 13. I'm 42 now. I told my wife when we got married that I wanted to buy a bus for fun trips with the kids when we have some. Well, bus prices have went crazy and I didn't pick one up when I should have. Anyway, I saw one on craigslist a while back and ended up taking it home. Here's a picture with it and the kids on the way home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, it's a project. It's pretty solid though. My plan is to clean it up, fix all the mechanical, and have a few fun trips with it. I am going to keep it stock mechanically, I'm on the fence for suspension. Every day seems to bring a new idea for suspension. Some days it's lowered, others it's stock, and sometimes it's even lifted. Smile Not sure where that will end up.
Anyway, what prompted me to start this thread is that I'm trying to piece an engine together and need guidance. The bus didn't come with one. I asked a local VW shop if they had a core I could build one from and their reply was "Yes, we can probably scrape one together." I'm getting a CB code 1.7 piece by piece and never messing with a bay, I'm not sure what is correct. The guys at the shop are very helpful, but I'd appreciate a little more guidance along the way. First up is the exhaust.

This is what they gave me. Is this correct for a 1973? If it's not correct, will it fit? Again, I'm building a CB code 1.7. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

No, I don't think so. Looks more like 1976-1978 model for 2.0 Type 4
Engine. Catalytic converter bolts to the J tube thingy, with an impossible to find correctly fitting donut clamp to the muffler.

1.7 liter heater boxes bolt directly to the muffler; one flange on each end of the muffler for each heater box. Non-catalyst.

Regardless, you're looking at a few hundred dollars in parts right there.

Really like your Ford! 1975? 302 CID? Bet it's 4WD, too! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

It looked too new to me also. However, doesn't the 2.0 have different shaped ports? I haven't tried yet but it looked like this would fit my 1.7 heads.

Thanks for noticing the Ford. It's a good VW hauler. Very Happy It's a 1979. 460 and yes, 4WD.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Only the 79 2.0 has odd ports, that will fit your 1.7 but you'll need all the 75-78 lower tin and heat plumbing to make it work. It's also got a crapload of joints and parts, the 1.7/1.8 72-74 exhaust is simple (3 parts) and makes better heat in the cab.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Anything VW & "slowburn" really isn't a good combination of words. Shocked
Good luck & "break a leg". Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

screw the bus....

more pic's of the truck Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
screw the bus....

Arrow Right!

Granny gear, too?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
screw the bus....

Arrow Right!

Granny gear, too?

x3! lol

Im currently working on my 1.7 CB engine. I may be able to sell you parts if I end up ditching it for the right engine for my bus. I'll know when I get into it.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

You can easily and cheaply build a 1.7L engine up to a 1.8L engine.

You can also easily use the heat exchangers you have with an aftermarket header system. Don't cheap out the the headers though as the cheap ones have a very short life.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Here is what a 72-74 exhaust is supposed to look like sans the muffler:

Notice how yours is different with a whole bunch of joints that could possibly (and probably will) leak?

79 bus exhaust looks just like 72-74 above except the ports are a different shape. Those are typically called 'square port' exhaust. Yours would be 'oval port'.

Here's square port:

If you are gonna rebuild the engine with new heads (I would) get square port heads as they seal up much better. Do not reuse old square port heads though, as that extra bit of aluminum used to make the square port on the heads has a tendency to crack and that crack leads right up to the exhaust valve and then bad things happen. Of course if you do switch to square ports, you'll have to get different exhaust, which I would do anyway because 75-78 exhaust is just bad and leaks a lot and has poor heat output as Busdaddy said.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Also consider which transmission you're going to need with whatever engine you choose.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments.

Pictures of the correct exhaust helps a lot. I'll go looking for them in their piles of stuff.

I've modified everything I've ever owned. I'm trying really hard to go stock with this one, right down to the 1.7 with correct heads.... If I can find everything.

For those that asked, here is another picture of the Ford.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Sweet! ^^^ Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
Thanks for all the comments.

Pictures of the correct exhaust helps a lot. I'll go looking for them in their piles of stuff.

I've modified everything I've ever owned. I'm trying really hard to go stock with this one, right down to the 1.7 with correct heads.... If I can find everything.

For those that asked, here is another picture of the Ford.

People from other areas don't realize how long vehicles in the PNW last with even minimal care. For years at least there was no road salt being used and the rain water is pour enough to not cause rust.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

Well, I think I found the correct heater boxes. They are just attached to an engine. Smile This engine was in a car though. Are they the same heater boxes as a bus? I'm guessing that the boxes are and the exhaust is not. Is that correct?

Also, This is the only fan housing they had (also car version). it is missing the hole/tube for dipstick. Can I drill and add a tube for the dipstick? Or is it better to find another one? Thanks again everyone!

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

That's a 411/412 engine, the heater boxes will bolt up if you get all the tin to go with them, but they make terrible heat, the 411/412 had a gas powered heat booster between the engine and cabin and the exhaust heat exchangers were just preheaters for that.
The bus fan shroud isn't hard to find, I wouldn't want to try drilling a dipstick hole myself, it's a really odd angle with no reference points for where to take a stab at it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

That's a really cool pick-up you towed the bus with.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

FINALLY spent a little time on this again. I started scrubbing back down to the original paint. I still have a LONG way to go but it's coming out good.

rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

I decoded the mplate for fun. I mainly wanted to know which middle seat is was supposed to have.

According to this tool, it should be a 3/4 seat. I don't know where that information actually comes from though. Any other way to tell?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Deluxe Sunroof - Slow Burn - Engine Questions Reply with quote

there is a page of codes in technical
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: