Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

It looks absolutely amazing.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Damn Nancy!

That DC and engine compartment looks beautiful! I'd challenge you to a DC race, but your engine is bigger than my 36hp engine! You'd slaughter me.

I'll bet you're enjoying the drives in it. So fun to drive a bone-stock fully restored DC. Post more photos and videos when you can. We're all watching! Mine is tucked away in the garage for the winter, although I'll start it up and move it around on the driveway every few weeks until the Spring.

I haven't changed the transaxle/RGB gear oil yet, but I'm thinking about doing it this Spring. I have changed the engine oil three times already (after the initial 20 minute run-in at over 2,000 rpm, at 100 miles and 500 miles). I currently have almost 1,000 miles on the '59 DC, and plan to change oil in the Spring, and also flush the brake fluid too.

Enjoy that gorgeous old DC, and hope to get our two together someday!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gunther67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Great work, with a lot of useful information. You're streets ahead of me, but I'll be painting by July.
Tony.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Congrats on making progress. Paint is a huge step forward!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

This is the 2017 Minneapolis Auto show held annually at the MPLS Convention Center. The past two years they have had a display of 25 classic cars on the second floor. We've had the pleasure of being invited both years to display our cars.

This year we brought the DC and our 1949 split window.

Because it's on the second floor we get to ride a giant 28 foot freight elevator to the second floor, and drive down the carpeted hallways to the display area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They like us because we can get both of our cars on the elevator together for a single trip. Laughing

The other cars are mostly gigantic and a few are 100pt restorations, others are mild street rods or kit cars.

Everyone seems to like and relate to the volkswagens.

I'll admit I do get a little nervous having them out of my sight down at the convention center, but they put ropes around them and have a pretty good guard on them 24 hours.

http://twincitiesautoshow.com/

Last edited by nlorntson on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Wow.. those are both gorgeous VW's. They look showroom fresh. Very Happy

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Very cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

What ^^^^ they said +. How do the hosts have you deal with the gas and batteries in the vehicles?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
How do the hosts have you deal with the gas and batteries in the vehicles?

They ask us to have no more than a quarter tank of gas, and to tape up the gas tank lid if exposed. For the battery they ask us to disconnect it.

Around here all these classic cars are in storage with a full tank of gas I this time of year and normally wouldn't see the light of day for another 2 months.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Getting excited to have Schultz and the 1949 at Kelley Park this weekend.

I hope to meet some of you fine folks there!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Hi Nancy,

I'll be there, I go almost every year and I'm a staff volunteer, and I'm helping in the Transporter section where I'll be guiding you to a parking position at K.P. You're bringing both those old VWs all the way to K.P.??? Awesome!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Ya, that's so cool you're bringing them.
Looking forward to seeing you at The Red Barn.
(Don't forget the linoleum... wink, wink)
I think I might have a present or two for Schultz. Smile
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi Nancy,

I'll be there, I go almost every year and I'm a staff volunteer, and I'm helping in the Transporter section where I'll be guiding you to a parking position at K.P. You're bringing both those old VWs all the way to K.P.??? Awesome!

Bill Bowman

I'd like to drive them but 3600 miles in a 25hp split beetle with a crashbox is more time than I have to take off work so they'll get a ride most of the way. Very Happy

I'm still dialing in a few things on Schultz but he came to work with me today to get a few more miles on before a fresh dose of oil tomorrow night.

We'll see you soon!
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

The invitation alone of your vws to be displayed in that momentous occasion is in itself is overwhelming, for sure the guests good comments are more rewarding! Congrats!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
glideking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Winners of the working class busses at Kelly Park. Schultz 1963 double cab first place, Funky Truck 1959 single cab second place.

You have to see this double cab in person to appreciate the level of craftsmanship this team has applied. Every effort has been made to make this as correct to stock 1963 as possible. Every fastener, clamp and grommet is in it's place. I had heard rumors that Schultz was coming out to the West Coast but I was not prepared for my first glimpse. I was waiting in line for the gates to open for the show when I saw the shine of pearl white glowing over the horizon as the sun came up. It is one thing to see such a clean bright bus in a show but quite another to have my first sight be it driving up to me as alive as can be. The owners are as friendly as I have ever met. I hope you get to meet them too.
Kurt
1965 21 Window Restoration Thread (From old photos)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
1963 Panelvan build "Tyvanosaurus Wrecks"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8351639#8351639
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Oh, jeeze Kurt... Embarassed Embarassed you are too kind.

Funky is as gorgeous as he looks in the pictures. I'm so impressed with the truck and the owner.

We were very fortunate to win first in the commercial division at Kelley Park 2017.

Here's the hubby with the award.

Funky and Schultz nose to nose

Last edited by nlorntson on Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Congratulations! I had the pleasure of seeing your truck up close at KP- and loved taking pictures as inspiration for my own '65 DC. Bradford

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

It was great to finally see "Schultz" up close, and I had the pleasure of getting to hang out with Nancy and Dick ("hubby") all throughout the weekend at most of the events. They are delightful folks, and this duo are excellent ambassadors of the great State of Minnesota! Their '49 Split-window Beetle was also a stunner and it also won an award at Kelley Park Vintage Meet. Now all we have to do is get my '59 DC and "Schultz" together at the upcoming BNNTA event for a play-date session.

I will add one more sincere thank you to Nancy and Dick for generously offering to haul my recently finished Okrasa engine home in their tow-rig back to Minnesota, getting it to within a long one day drive from my home near St. Louis. From what I understand, they were going to pad the bed and tie my vintage speed engine down in the bed of "Schultz" and it would ride back in their nice enclosed trailer. I am very grateful, and hope that they had a fun and safe journey to their home.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

We were fortunate to win Best in Show with Schultz for the judged class at the 2017 MN Twin Cities VW Club annual "Bug-In" beating out some really beautiful cars.

This coming weekend we will participate in the 2017 Walleye 1000 Vintage Rally with Schultz proving that you can drive and enjoy perfectly restored cars Smile

http://www.walleye1000.com/
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet Schultz the 1963 Double Cab Reply with quote

Congratulations to "Shultz" and his talented owners on this win! You guys better get used to stepping up to the podium at shows, you'll be doing it a lot!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: