Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Window Beetle Crashbox
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

I have a question about a crashbox. I bought a 1951 crashbox opened it up to see how everything was on the inside. I then put everything into a tub to get cleaned and inspected at a local machine shop. When I got there I noticed a piece that I did not take out of the crashbox when I dissembled it. I have included a pic of the piece I found. I can't find this part in my 1952 service manual. I am thinking it was in the tub before I put all my crashbox parts in there. I put the quarter in the pic to show the scale. Is it a part of the crashbox and if so where does it go because I can't find a place it would go.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlware1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Ferdinand53 wrote:
I have a question about a crashbox. I bought a 1951 crashbox opened it up to see how everything was on the inside. I then put everything into a tub to get cleaned and inspected at a local machine shop. When I got there I noticed a piece that I did not take out of the crashbox when I dissembled it. I have included a pic of the piece I found. I can't find this part in my 1952 service manual. I am thinking it was in the tub before I put all my crashbox parts in there. I put the quarter in the pic to show the scale. Is it a part of the crashbox and if so where does it go because I can't find a place it would go.

It's a "lock plate - reverse sliding gear shaft", shown in the September 1950 Spare Parts List. It fits in a slot at the end of the reverse shaft, just before you put the nose cone back on the tranny, I believe. It can easily slip out of place if you're not careful. Hope this helps.
Doyle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Hello and thank you, I found the area you were talking about and yes it does fit but what keeps it from falling out after I put everything back together? It seems like after the transaxel starts to vibrate it will fall out. Does it just sit up in there?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Maybe one metric dorp of axle grease to hold it in place?
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

It is in place but when the transmission is installed and the vehicle is running what stops it from falling out?
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Here is the only place I could see it fit. problem is it just sets in there and it seems like it is missing something.
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Nosecone holds it in place Very Happy
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

That would sound logical but no, the nose cone doesn't even touch. It seems like it should have some kind of a clip. I can install the piece, reinstall the nose cone, tighten everything up, turn the axles and hit the nose cone with my fist a few times and then I hear the clink, open the nose cone and it is setting in the nose cone. Does someone have a pic of a 1951 crashbox of how it is installed?
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Later crashbox should has a circlip, not this piece.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWKDF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Ferdinand53 wrote:
Here is the only place I could see it fit. problem is it just sets in there and it seems like it is missing something.

Can that bolt it is placed into be reinstalled turned around 180 degrees, then the nose cone would hold it in place between the bump outs for those bolts.

At work or I'd examine my Bentley's or very old Clymer's for clues.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

VWKDF wrote:
Ferdinand53 wrote:

Can that bolt it is placed into be reinstalled turned around 180 degrees, then the nose cone would hold it in place between the bump outs for those bolts.

At work or I'd examine my Bentley's or very old Clymer's for clues.

I am rebuilding mine right now and that is exactly right but the main shaft shouldn't be able to turn over if the reverse shaft is facing that way.
Just making sure this is a full Crashbox?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

If you turn it 180 degrees the nose cone will not close. Yes it is a 1951 full crashbox
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Can you send pics of your crashbox and the nose cone?
usedom31
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

From the Repair Manual 1951/52.
Hope it helps.
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Is this what your nose cone looks like

Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

Sind Sie Deutscher?
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

This is for the later circlip:

Ferdinand53 wrote:
Is this what your nose cone looks like

and this is for the earlier block part:

German Krew wrote:

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferdinand53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Window Beetle Crashbox Reply with quote

That explains why my nose cone would not work. It looks almost identical except for the slot cut out for the lock plate.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: