Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turn signal woes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

I am having some electrical gremlins on my 69. When the brake pedal is pressed, the front turn signal lights come on solid. The signal indicators are always on when the bus is running, but go off when the brake pedal is pressed. I checked the grounds for the signal lights, and all looks clean and happy. I plan to get a new harness, but there are some other parts I need before that, like correct switches, etc. Somebody replaced every bad original switch with a toggle or push-button as they went along. Once I get all good switches and parts together, I will install it all with a new harness and be good to go. But has anyone ever had this particular issue with the signals? I'd like to remedy this until the harness swap. Turn signals function normally when the brake is not pressed, but will come on solid when the brake is pressed regardless of turn signal switch position.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

I'm not sure anyone else has experienced your particular issue, one can never assume two PO's will hack in the exact same manner.

How about telling us how many terminals are on your emergency flasher switch, there's 2 different systems in 69 and we can't help until we identify which one it is/was.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
FlatfourFrenchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

I would bet that something is backfeeding due to a bad ground or a couple of wire reversed. The og wiring harness is hard enough to read in schematics let alone a new harness. Bad turn signal switches make for stupid fun as well.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

I'd hold off on the harness replacement until you get the switch and controls hackery straightened out. Swapping in a new harness is likely to add even more 'unknowns' to the situation. I have found it generally much easier labor-wise to repair a harness than to replace it.

In this case, it sounds like the turn switch has serious issues - either shorted wires or mis-wiring. I'd do serious inspection of it, looking for anomalies.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzmonaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), the turn signal switch has been replaced with a 3-position toggle. So the switch always has power, but moving the switch in either direction will turn on a blinker. It does not appear that any wires are loose on it. However, if either signal is on, it works until the brake is depressed, and then both signals come on solid.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

The 3 way switch for the signals won't work properly,the signal circuit contains several circuits,you have left and right signals,front and rear signals and brake lights,as well as 4 way flashers,the little magic man inside the signal switch sorts it all out,you need that little man in place and working.get your switchs and repair the circuit 1 at a time,even it it involves twisting and patching the harness,when all is working then replace the harness if you feel the need,by that time you will fully understand the systems and the swap will be much easier.
check the tech section above the a diagram
for a quick and dirty fix you could mount separate brake lights on the bumper and run a wire from the pressure switch to the lights,by passing the signal light circuits.
good luck nelson
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

The rear brake light and turn signal is in one fixture with three connectors on the back. (I have a 71). This may be where the problem is. I would suggest you say a lot of trouble by replacing both taillight fixtures. They make inexpensive plastic bodied units which should serve well enough. Of course, a short could be somewhere else. Or the connectors behind the dash may be connected to the wrong terminals ( like brake warning to turn signal?) I feel your pain in dealing with someone else's crude repairs.
Trashman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Turn signal woes Reply with quote

If you are still having this problem, one thing to check just to be sure would be if the brake light bulbs are the correct 1157 ones. I had a very similar issue where the turn signals would all light up with applying the brakes and it ended up that someone put a reverse light bulb where the brake light should have been on one side.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: