Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

I have a 1973 Thing. I would like to replace the exhaust I have now, which was made for a bug, with one that exits thru the bumpers. I like the type that have two separate mufflers that mount up out of sight. I see that The Thing Shop has a stainless steel type they have developed, and that also there are ones made in Denmark, in primer, that are available through Thing Parts. Of course the stainless is more money. Not sure what else is available, but I am not especially keen on the single mufflers that are visible below the bumper. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions regarding the two types with separate mufflers? Looked at the stickies but didn't find much that helped. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Vintage Speed make real nice exhausts (stainless that Thing Shop carries). Overkill for a stock motor. I have a VS on my avatar <---

The EMPI one piece is actually not a horrible unit, paint doesn't stick, so get a high temp coating.

Stock exhaust system for a 73 Thing would be my vote.

Don't forget the heat shield sleds if you are not running heater boxes.
73 Thing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8111202#8111202
70 BusClick to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

I purchased my Thing with the EMPI Tri Mil style exhaust installed by the previous owner. It's the silver ceramic version and the coating shows no signs of wear. It looks good, exits through the exhaust and seems to do the job but it is not very quiet.
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Heat shield sleds? What are those?
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

yes what are they? I was just thinking that...
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

I'm thinking they are probably those tins that cover the bottoms of the cylinders. They are kind of sled shaped. And I assume the 73 separate mufflers mount where the 74 heat exchangers would go.
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Ray Syverson wrote:
I'm thinking they are probably those tins that cover the bottoms of the cylinders. They are kind of sled shaped. And I assume the 73 separate mufflers mount where the 74 heat exchangers would go.

Correct, I purchased a set of the heat shields from Awesome Powdercoat, I presently have a Tri Mil header using the J pipes . . .http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Industrial_Shields.html

The shields will ensure correct air flow if using J pipes, as well as the stock type exhaust for the 1973 VW Thing.
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

ente_kaefer wrote:
Ray Syverson wrote:

Correct, I purchased a set of the heat shields from Awesome Powdercoat, I presently have a Tri Mil header using the J pipes . . .http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/Industrial_Shields.html

The shields will ensure correct air flow if using J pipes, as well as the stock type exhaust for the 1973 VW Thing.

Yes, those. Heater boxes have an external box that isolates the heat of the j tubes. VW ra the sleds on non heater box motors
EDragnDean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
I purchased my Thing with the EMPI Tri Mil style exhaust installed by the previous owner. It's the silver ceramic version and the coating shows no signs of wear. It looks good, exits through the exhaust and seems to do the job but it is not very quiet.

Thanks. The non coated ones rust quickly.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

VW stock exhausts tend to rust rather quickly, so if you wish a VERY well-designed, nicely engineered & constructed and permanent 'exhaust system option', consider the stainless steel exhausts offered by CARRERA SPEED in Taiwan. They offer a beautifully executed and ideal system for the VW Thing (and a perfect fit for the '73 Type 181). Their exhaust system comes in two types:1) a performance version designed for modified (upgraded) engines and 2) a standard version for stock engines. Each of these two is available with or without heat-riser tube fittings, so be sure to specify whether or not you want heat-riser tube compatibility. The quality of these units is excellent and you'll never need another 'Thing' exhaust for your Type 181. The cost is reasonable, considering the quality and engineering expertise incorporated. This is the same exhaust system offered by EISparts.com and prices are roughly congruent, although I found it actually cheaper to order the system directly from Carrera in Taiwan, since their price plus $100 shipping is actually cheaper than the EIS offering (although the same system). Don't forget to order the stainless steel 'J-tubes' while you're at it, since they are not included in the basic system. The Carrera site may be found at: http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.4302/.f
My '73 Thing is quite happy with the Carrera SS system and there's even a slight increase in dyno power output with a stock engine!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Just doing a quick comparison of the exhaust system sold by The Thing Shop and the system sold by Vintage Speed.
The Thing Shop's system looks very nice, but I see two downsides:
1. A split exhaust system loses some hp over a merged header system.

2. the mufflers have to be lowered/removed to to a valve adjustment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Vintage Speed system is nice because it doesn't block the valve covers. I'm not sure it offers the same hp benefits that a merged header would, but I imagine the difference isn't great.

I plan on upgrading my stock Beetle exhaust system that is on my newly acquired Thing and when I do I'll go with the Vintage Speed system.
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Interesting that you noted these comparative considerations. I also did a similar evaluation and came to the same conclusions. It's a fairly considerable irritation having to lower the exhaust muffler units in order to get enough clearance to do a valve adjust without extraordinary difficulty, and given the importance of that particular (valve adjust) maintenance procedure for air suckers, I too opted for the Vintage Speed system.

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Did you take off the rear bumper to install yours?
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
Did you take off the rear bumper to install yours?

Actually, I haven't installed it yet. It's sitting in a box waiting for a favorably 'calm' (i.e. no wind storm) day. Yesterday we had steady winds at 30 mph (Gaak!). [Even my squirrel was nearly blown out of his tree; he turned to me and said (I speak fluent squirrel), "Hold onto your nuts, baby, there's a big blow heading our way!" Or words to that effect and profuse apologies to anyone who finds that offensive.] d'oh!

Last edited by Windisch on Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

I went cheap and modified an old monza exhaust
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:
I went cheap and modified an old monza exhaust

Hey, that's cool. Quite innovative and it looks good also! Neat idea!

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

I built my own:

Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
I built my own:

Have to admit I wish I had skills in that area, but welding techniques and metal fabrication beyond a certain modest limit have always eluded me. That said, I've always liked the earlier style (bus-type) taillights (on Things), even though from a safety standpoint they are not quite as prominently viewable as the later type. AND...I'm a big fan of orange paint on Things (that probably stems from my USAF days in Arctic search/rescue/survival concerns, wherein high-viz was always regarded as being very important; with the safety factors of Things considered, being seen is a plus factor when you have a Thing on a roadway with bigger vehicles. Crying or Very sad

air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Exhaust System for 1973 Things- Suggestions, Opinions Wanted Reply with quote

the empi trimill copy fits well but makes a stock engine sound like an old 8N Ford tractor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: