Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Turbo 70 single cab project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
Seems to me that top or bottom feed really won't make any difference, in terms of fire protection. With top feed, if the fuel hose goes below the fuel level in the tank (e.g., down to the engine / FI fuel pump), fuel will siphon out of the tank.

In this case the fuel pump is IN the tank. If it's like most FI fuel pumps, it will not flow fuel through it when it is off. I will have to inquire with Aeromotive if that is the case. I'm probably still gonna get this anyway just because it's cool. Wink
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

Got some more work done.

Rebuilt the calipers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Welded on nuts and attached the proportioning valve.

I also installed new german wheel cylinders, cleaned up the adjusters for the self adjusting brakes and installed new shocks. I'm getting there.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

I'm still working on it! My pace has slowed a little since I started building my mom a tin top westy to go camping in in her golden years. Yesterday my friend and I tackled the ball joints. The torsion arms came out but the ball joints were another story.

The two little tabs that are supposed to resist the several tons of force required to press out rusted in ball joints are a joke. Under that kind of pressure they would just fold over. So we machined the lip off the edge of the ball joint to have something to support the arm while pressing out the joint.

My friend took this picture for posterity after getting the first one out:

[/img]
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

Got the beam finished and bolted up. The truck now has the 5x112 bolt pattern all around, disc brakes up front, and vanagon backing plates in rear. I also flushed all the lines and with new hydraulics I put in DOT-5 silicone fluid so I wont have to flush the fluid for many years to come.

And I got it home!

Those wheels and tires will be replaced. Now I've got work to do on the engine, trans, and fuel system.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

Glad to see this back. Very Happy
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

Got a new part in. Ended up getting the Aeromotive phantom fuel pump kit. Got to modify the tank now. It's getting real Twisted Evil

Next up are the extensive modifications I have to make to the engine tin to get it to fit well. I'll be posting pics of that soon.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

cool build, man.
ambitious.
will love to see it go.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
cool build, man.
ambitious.
will love to see it go.

Thanks! This has pretty much been a lifelong dream car of mine. I can't believe I'm getting to build it so early in life, thought I'd be much older. I currently am building a megasquirted 2.1 type 4 engine for my mom's bus that is being restored into a camper. When that's done this project will really take off. I will post a thread up of it when I get it a bit further along.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

Got to welding on the engine tin.

Yeah, my welding sucks. I've done a ton of mig welding and am pretty good at it. I just got a tig welder and am still getting the hand movements down.

I also picked up my first stuff for the interior:

Yep the truck is gonna have a brown dash! My buddy was parting out a dangerously rusted champagne edition and I managed to snag these interior bits. I will have to change out the steering column to get the steering wheel to fit.

And yes I polished the horn button on the steering wheel. It looked horrible when I got it. I used a headlight lens restoration kit to fix it up.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Turbo 70 single cab project Reply with quote

Installed the fuel pump. To install it you cut a hole with a 3 1/4" hole saw, then lay an aluminum jig in the hole they provide and drill all the holes through the sheet metal using the jig as a guide.

Then you cut the provided foam baffle to fit the depth of the tank as well as the bracket that holds the pump. Next you put the ring that has all the studs in it in the tank, place the jig back on (which is beveled to allow the foam to slide in) and stuff the foam in. Then you just put the fuel pump assembly on, add plastic washers and lock nuts and tighten it down.

I now have a top feed, high flow fuel pump capable of supporting 1000hp! Lol, I don't think it'll make that much. Next up I've gotta put the tank back in and starting plumbing the fuel lines. I'm going with stainless hard lines that I'll be custom bending.
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: