Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia upper bed question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nessus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this site. This is my first post here ever Very Happy

I have always loved VW buses, and decided to own a bay window bus (one day). To be particular, I am looking for a westfalia with upper bed.

As I am still learning everything about these lovely buses, I came across something that puzzles me quite a bit, Google or any other searches didn't help much.

I noticed that there are two common pop tops with different pop up orientations and locations
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and

So far my local craigslist search only shows a few ones with the first type. I am not sure if they have upper bed? What are the differences between the two styles?

For reference, I live in Vancouver, Canada. Here is a really nice one that just showed up today:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/6039873570.html
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

1968 to 73 have the poptop as in your CL ad. 74 to 79 lift from the back. The early westfalia's had a fold out cot in the bunk that fits up to 160lbs. The later have a proper 2 person bed. Buy a 79- best engine,transmission and camping equipment. Oh and then there are VW conversions by other co.'s as well.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

The first (earlier) style just has a child's cot upstairs. The later rear-hinged style has a full bed in the penthouse and started in 74.

I'd be looking very closely at the undercarriage of that bus you posted before dropping 23k. Why did it need a new front beam unless it was rusted out? Looks like the heater tube was replaced with some insulated flexible duct, probably after it too rusted out. And what up with the fuel filler door, or lack thereof? VW didn't delete that until 74. And where's the jacking points?? Maybe the pics aren't clear enough but looks like they're missing as well.
It also needs tires. Those are passenger car tires not rated for the weight of a heavy camper van.
The power inlet location is wrong for a 73 as well. And those are later style hinges on the deck lid. Something not right.. Rolling Eyes
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

The ones with the luggage rack in the back are more desirable Wink
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
The ones with the luggage rack in the back are more desirable Wink

Hurump! You think so huh? If you plan to actually sleep up top and not have everyone crammed down below then the later - 74-79 is the ticket Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

Here is a luxury appointed 1977 Westfalia. Its like one if the best ones on the planet Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
1968 to 73 have the poptop as in your CL ad. 74 to 79 lift from the back. The early westfalia's had a fold out cot in the bunk that fits up to 160lbs. The later have a proper 2 person bed. Buy a 79- best engine,transmission and camping equipment. Oh and then there are VW conversions by other co.'s as well.

What does a 79 have to do with it? Lots of 1 year only parts in regards to the engine. Westfalia's were essentially unchanged from 76-79. The big difference being a deluxe or weekender. Fridge and stove for the deluxe, icebox and sink only for the weekenders.

79 had square port heads and the Cali versions was even more complicated. A Canadian Delivery bus had a gas heater available too

The later style bunk upstairs is great! Party bed for sure.

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
The first (earlier) style just has a child's cot upstairs. The later rear-hinged style has a full bed in the penthouse and started in 74.

I'd be looking very closely at the undercarriage of that bus you posted before dropping 23k. Why did it need a new front beam unless it was rusted out? Looks like the heater tube was replaced with some insulated flexible duct, probably after it too rusted out. And what up with the fuel filler door, or lack thereof? VW didn't delete that until 74. And where's the jacking points?? Maybe the pics aren't clear enough but looks like they're missing as well.
It also needs tires. Those are passenger car tires not rated for the weight of a heavy camper van.
The power inlet location is wrong for a 73 as well. And those are later style hinges on the deck lid. Something not right.. Rolling Eyes

It's a Euro model (or at least it once was).
But for that kind of asking money a few hundred bucks more for a detailed pre purchase inspection would be money well spent, I might know a guy......... Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

1974+ has a much larger opening (front to back) for standing room when the top is popped. Basically I can stand up fully (with plenty of extra room) on the entire floor on the bus, so I like them a lot more than pre-74.

I've never slept up on my top bunk, but when it's folded/stowed, it makes a very nice and large cargo shelf while at the campsite!
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

Sprink1es wrote:
1974+ has a much larger opening (front to back) for standing room when the top is popped. Basically I can stand up fully (with plenty of extra room) on the entire floor on the bus, so I like them a lot more than pre-74.

I've never slept up on my top bunk, but when it's folded/stowed, it makes a very nice and large cargo shelf while at the campsite!

See, the thing I like about the top bunk is that you can sleep up there, which means then you don't have to unfold the back seat to go to bed. It can stay in "couch" mode and you can store stuff in the back area behind it.

Edit to add: in the daytime I'll flip the upper bunk back with the sheets attached, and just let it kind of sit there on top of the sheets/blankets so I can have the headroom during the day.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

go sportsmobile!! not as spendy.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

Look in the stickys up top, in the Bay Window Faaahhh-Quuues...down in there, is a group of threads under "Buying / Selling." You can read the Bay Window Buyers / Spotters Guide...pretty handy.
John Revolver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

You deff want to go for any model 76 and above.

Best interior. Best Top bunk.

I've seen that 23k bus posted many times on Vancouver Cragislist over the years. Proceed with caution.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

If looks don't matter, go with a 74-79.
nessus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

Thank you for all the feedbacks. Now I know exactly what I want: later model, be able to sleep up top.
I will continue the hunt. I figured if I am going to spend all this money, time, efforts and possibly emotions, it must be the right one to begin with.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia upper bed question Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
But for that kind of asking money a few hundred bucks more for a detailed pre purchase inspection would be money well spent, I might know a guy......... Wink

And if you are considering that bus. Then take BD up on the offer. Would be silly not to for that kind of money. You really need to drive a bunch of buses and get a feel for what you like and want. I've done 1000 plus mile trips in both early and late camper layouts. Actually prefer the early layout. But you can't go wrong with the late style. Like buying a house. You know when it's the right one. Just get it looked over when you got the budget you do.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: