Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using VW wheels on a trailer
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HunterTheBusHunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Ok, I ordered the steel to build the frame for a teardrop trailer I will be building. (Ill post a build log) The dilemma Im running into is the wheels. I dont want to use the cheesy 12in wheels, I want to use OG VW 4-lug wheels so it will match my car. (Im also gonna use bug rear fenders) The issue with this is I cant find a hub with the 4x130 bolt pattern and I cant find a adapter to that will adapt to the common trailer hub bolt patterns. Someone said that since Im thinking about using trailer brakes I should use a stock VW front drum. Thats the other thing, should I use trailer brakes or upgrade the brakes on the car? The trailer is gonna weigh around 750lbs. I know my 71 bug is rated at towing 880lbs but its not about pulling, its stopping. But I dont think the bearings are the same size as the spindles on the axle. The axle Im looking at getting has removable spindles, but the ones it includes requires a 1 1/16" bearing. Im not sure how they measure bearings so I couldnt find out if its the same as a VW bearing. If you have any ideas please let me know. Ive seen people do it with 5 lug wheels but not 4.
Also sorry if this is in the wrong section. I wasnt sure where to put it.
Thanks Hunter
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Looks pretty easy to get a 4 bolt spindle and drill 4 more holes to accommodate the different pattern.

Considering all the effort you put into building this trailer, and the beloved bug towing it, it seems cheap insurance to add brakes.
HunterTheBusHunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Looks pretty easy to get a 4 bolt spindle and drill 4 more holes to accommodate the different pattern.

Considering all the effort you put into building this trailer, and the beloved bug towing it, it seems cheap insurance to add brakes.

I was thinking about drilling but it would be near impossible to get the holes in the correct places. The studs wouldnt line up right once you got them all drilled.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

A machine shop can drill them. I would use a drill press and can drill accurately enough with that.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Have you thought about using or incorporating a late type 3 sub-frame without the trans and axles (they're IRS)? You could have the rear drums (4x130) with the brake set up. You'd just have to figure out how to get the brakes set up for your needs. Just a thought.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
HunterTheBusHunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

MonT3 wrote:
Have you thought about using or incorporating a late type 3 sub-frame without the trans and axles (they're IRS)? You could have the rear drums (4x130) with the brake set up. You'd just have to figure out how to get the brakes set up for your needs. Just a thought.

That would be WAYY to heavy. The trailer is 4'x10'. the steel for the frame im building weighs 80lbs plus welds, jack, trailer supports, tongue, wiring, axle, hubs, and wheels. total it will weigh about 150-170 before I even put a single piece of wood. Im shooting for a weight of under 800 loaded, all gear and 5 gallons of water. I think the transaxle alone from a typ 3 would weigh more than my entire frame with everything built on.
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Adapter Kings. I had a set of adapters made for my trailer, nice product. I am running 5 X 130 pattern on the trailer to match the car. This also allows me to carry 1 spare tire on the trailer for the car & trailer.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Late Type 3 rear drums have the separate hub and drum, and the small hub is threaded to fit the wheel. You may need a spacer or special lug nuts to accommodate the lack of the thickness of the drum, and you may be able to use the stub axles and bearings, too.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Will 4 bolt Bug rims fit on a early Rabbit/Jetta/Caddy rear drum?

If it would, you could get a rear axle setup from one in your local junkyard probably pretty cheap. Toss the struts and incorporate leaf springs or short coils for suspension. Plus you would have brakes.

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
KalgoorlieGreg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

Just get a set of common trailer hubs and get a machining shop to redrill them to your desired PCD. This will keep the weight down and give you common bearings and a choice of cable or hydraulic brakes.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Using VW wheels on a trailer Reply with quote

HunterTheBusHunter wrote:
MonT3 wrote:

That would be WAYY to heavy. The trailer is 4'x10'. the steel for the frame im building weighs 80lbs plus welds, jack, trailer supports, tongue, wiring, axle, hubs, and wheels. total it will weigh about 150-170 before I even put a single piece of wood. Im shooting for a weight of under 800 loaded, all gear and 5 gallons of water. I think the transaxle alone from a typ 3 would weigh more than my entire frame with everything built on.

You don't need the transaxle, or the CV axles. The type 3 subframe unbolts from the pan and is a separate piece. It will have the springs (torsion bar) axles, brakes, and wheels you want. No need to buy another axle.

This one is slightly modified, but it will give you the basic idea.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: