Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HELP to cover my van
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

I have a Vanagon in SoCal which I regularly put in storage for six months at a time. I wanted to protect the interior and window rubber from the bright sun and heat. I bought a Just Kampers cover. The van has a two inch lift, big tires and a poptop and the edge of the poptop is the height of outstretched fingertips. I'm struggling to get the cover on.

Does anyone have tips, suggestions or experience with covering their van? Fold it up and use a ladder to put it on the poptop then unroll it?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

Roll it on like a condom
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

If you put it "IN" storage, why do you need a cover?

I'm guessing that term "IN" isn't a literal inside.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
If you put it "IN" storage, why do you need a cover?

I'm guessing that term "IN" isn't a literal inside.........

Dave

Yes the Vanagon is outside when it is in storage. The '69 camper is inside when it is in storage. Both get stored.

Aloha
tp

Last edited by Tom Powell on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

I have the same cover and really like it. It did very well in heat and rain of a Miami summer. You will need a step ladder. I roll mine. Put it on the roof and unroll it. Make sure you know the front from the back. When I take it off I undo the ends flip them up on the roof and then flip up the sides then roll it. See what works for you. Also you are going to find that water puddles where the luggage rack is in the front if yours is a Westy. I inflate a beach ball and put it in the luggage rack so it won't sag. The photo was taken before I used the beach ball. I think a better solution would be to cut a piece of StarBoard or Marine board and place it on the luggage rack tie down loops so it forms a raised flat surface. Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

You just hook one corner on something and work it around to the other side and pull it over. I catch a cover of mine over the back part of my awning, but you can use front mirror too.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

Tarp clips along the center bottom allows you to secure it from being raised by the wind.
https://www.amazon.com/vivian-Outdoor-Camping-Secure-Awning/dp/B01H6DYBFI

I used them with a Westy Cover to pull up the excess on a Syncro when we had a hurricane coming.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The excess of using a Westy Cover on a normal Vanagon gave it enough extra to go over the rear mounted tire.
I was able to roll it on by myself without a ladder by standing on the tires.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

Start the square end first (just start it). Then start the round end (maybe you can finish it?) Then finish the square end. Etc.

EDIT: oops it's a vanagon so that should be beveled end.
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

Mw and the wife start at the front standing on the fornt wheels.Once the front is done go to the back tires and slide her over to the end and cover. Get heavy clips 2 front and back as the cover cables suck and move in the wind and can scrape your cap up. I also put 2 big outdoor pillows so the luggage rack wounldnt hold water or snow.
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

I do my Just Kampers cover just like Westified said except for the westy luggage rack I put three plastic jerry cans up there on their sides, side by side, and that helps with any water pooling.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: HELP to cover my van Reply with quote

I got it sorted out. It was a bit of a problem taking it out of the box and putting it on the roof the first time. I used a ladder and threw it over the side. I had it front to back the first try, but got it turned around and made a hole and grommet for the aerial. Taking it off the roof, it was throwing the sides up on top and then rolling it up from the back. The next installation was a snap using a step stool and unrolling it back to front. It's covered for the next few months in SoCal while I head back home to Kaneohe. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Aloha
tp
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: