Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Maybe you can consider "buying" it back from the person who won it. You'd save face, respect and continue on with your adventure.

Maybe some day but for now the new owner has plans with it

---------

Thanks for that post Robbie
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
williamM wrote:
If you are going oil bath air cleaner- drop by and us my sawzall - the rest is going to the scraper.

[img]

Bottom right is the bracket it sits on. (pie pan thing.)

Bill, even if Ben doesn't take you up on it, I think that would be a worthy piece to cut off and save. I think the "dusty conditions" filter uses a different mount anyway.

Robbie
your right--

The dusty conditions oil bath is basically a 181 oil bath with a 2 strap bracket. This is a mimic of a lot of "small tractor" air cleaner.

But back to original equipment- I think the original T2 pre 71/72 air cleaner is as good, but hasn't the snorkel for getting cleaner air up higher the 181 has. Or the thermostatic controls on the intake for warm air the 181 has.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

จนกระทั่ง Australia?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Hi

Some guys mentioned it before, but we drove our bus through some pretty remote areas, including Asia. If you're interested you can look through our prep threads to see what we changed on our bus. I added the links at the end of this post.

On our trip from Amsterdam to Being the only thing we had failing was the fuel pump relay I think, for which we carried a spare.

I think for overlanding, these would be the most important things:
- Make sure everything is in good shape when you start out, no worn bearings, brakes, engine etc.
- Get a LSD, it makes a huge difference when offroading
- Get new tyres from a good brand with the right size and thread.
- Install a transmission and sump guard as specified in the difficult conditions manual.
- Install CHT, oil temp and pressure gauges.
- Have jerrycans or similar for 50L of extra gas to extend range
- Get adjustable steering rods on both sides (easier to fix those when they get bent)

Send me a PM and I can send you a list of the spares we carried. All our spare parts fit under the rear bench, so you really don't need that much.

In about 70.000 kilometers of overlanding we really didn't have that many failures. What we've seen failing was: shocks (yes, even Koni's), bearings, CV's, front torsion leaves, front sway bar, windscreen (cracks), double relay, clutch cable, steering rod and our Coleman gas stove (we had spares for that one too, so fixed it Laughing)

Amsterdam - Beijing http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=241979
Amsterdam - Cape Town http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370281
Amsterdam - Euro 2012 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=448292 (Ended up using another vehicle)
New York - Rio http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=538190
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Quote:
Get a LSD, it makes a huge difference when offroading

Helped me through many a bad moment, as long as the newspaper taxis don't catch you on the Bay Shore
momdoer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

I have a Toyota 3.4 liter V6 in my 78 bay. Super strong and reliable.
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

If you go with a type 4 engine, use all stock components inside, except the cam and lifters. Get a web-cam and lifters. I say that because I have seen two sets of 'oem' (whatever that means) cam and lifters grind themselves flat in 250 miles on rebuilt engines recently. Someone has messed up the manufacturing process on those parts.

If you go type 1, use an aluminum case. Magnesium (especially used) cases just don't have what it takes to push a bus around the world. The metal is too weak for all the leverage required to move a heavy vehicle like a bus. This is why the mexican air-cooled bus never went above 50ps, because more horsepower in a mag case in a bus destroys the engine.

For either engine, have you thought about modern fuel injection, say megasquirt? You can buy a whole kit from this guy and he can tune it for you:

http://www.thedubshop.net/

Can you imagine not having to worry about a distributor? Megasquirt systems use GM components which are widely available worldwide.

Lastly you're gonna want a strong transaxle. Seen this?

https://weddleindustries.com/transaxles/vw-transaxles/ultimate-091-bus-transaxle-0

You can even get it with a locking differential, which you'll need.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
HastaAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

MadMax78 wrote:
Hi

Some guys mentioned it before, but we drove our bus through some pretty remote areas, including Asia. If you're interested you can look through our prep threads

Thanks very much for posting here and all you have added to TS already. Very useful for people like me. Cheers!

That list of failures seems pretty acceptable to me. I'm planning to have a similar list when I finish this next trip - better preparation is the key I think.

tootype2crazy wrote:

If you go type 1, use an aluminum case. Magnesium (especially used) cases just don't have what it takes to push a bus around the world.

I would be inclined to agree with that.

I wonder if Mega squirt would pass emissions

Thanks for the advice guys

Keep it coming, reading with interest and we're still hunting for the bus
World Overland Series - https://kombilife.com/world-overland-travel-series/
Latest Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/@kombilife
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

tootype2crazy wrote:

If you go type 1, use an aluminum case. Magnesium (especially used) cases just don't have what it takes to push a bus around the world.

I would not agree. A new mag case as the basis for a properly built lower rpm engine (driven and maintained by someone that knows VW's) is more than adequate. Mag cases also run much cooler and are about 15lbs lighter. I would never consider a used case for this application. The problem with VW's isn't the way they were engineered, it's the way they've been abused and repaired over the decades.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man. Wink
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

tootype2crazy wrote:

I would not agree. A new mag case as the basis for a properly built lower rpm engine (driven and maintained by someone that knows VW's) is more than adequate. Mag cases also run much cooler and are about 15lbs lighter. I would never consider a used case for this application. The problem with VW's isn't the way they were engineered, it's the way they've been abused and repaired over the decades.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man. Wink

Where's the hard data that a mag case runs cooler?? Has someone taken the guts out of a mag case and thrown them in an aluminum case and run both around a track at the exact same temperature outside?? That is a huge myth. I worked on hundreds and hundreds of ACVWs at the shop I worked at here in St. Louis for over 10 years and saw countless buses with mag cases that had spread bearing journals and other irreparable damage to the case. If it's a 1600 sure that's ok, if you don't over-rev it. Anything bigger and you're asking for trouble IF you plan on daily driving it, which he is gonna. Type 4 cases are aluminum and never, ever have a problem with the cases unless someone seriously abuses them with no oil and overheating. Porsche was involved with the development of the type 4 engine. Originally VW made the type 4 cases out of mag but then switched to aluminum because the porsche engineers didn't want the weakness of the type 1 engine going in their cars. It's a fact that aluminum is a better material for an engine block, or else all cars today would be made with magnesium engine blocks. The only drawback that an aluminum case has over mag is the weight, but the durability of them is worth that sacrifice.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:

Megasquirt if fully adjustable, as long as you tune it right, it'll pass emissions no problem.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
HastaAlaska wrote:

Megasquirt if fully adjustable, as long as you tune it right, it'll pass emissions no problem.

Unless you live in a state where you have to show all of the original equipment, no matter how practical it may be to do so. (Looking at you, California.)

I have no problem in theory of emissions requirements. It is obvious that they have gone a very long way toward cleaning up the air. And I like air.

However, it has always astounded me that in some locales, the emissions requirements don't necessarily care as much about the numbers as they do about the equipment.

I would have to imagine that a modern fuel management system such as Mega Squirt would probably allow for a much more efficient engine, but would not be legal in California because it isn't original to the vehicle/engine.

Or, if it can manage to meet the required numbers but doesn't have all the equipment, it'll fail too. Just doesn't make sense to me.

That nonsense did work out in my favor one time, though. Years ago I bought the 72-74 exhaust system off a guy who moved to California. He couldn't register the bus there because it didn't have the exact exhaust system from his '78 anymore. Even though it met the actual exhaust numbers requirement. (He had moved from a different state that only had a tailpipe requirement.)

Tailpipe requirements seem much more reasonable. Who cares what is bolted to the engine if the engine is meeting the tailpipe requirement?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

tootype2crazy wrote:
Can you imagine not having to worry about a distributor?

Is this a joke? This has to be a joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Overlanding a VW Bus Around The World?! Reply with quote

In my earlier post I mentioned I could share the spare parts list we used. So I created a quick shared Google doc. You can view it here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fOOftxpHJcytmTHv4McMa9dMfw6iKQ06Pxu9cuJggL8/edit?usp=sharing

Please note this list is specific to our setup, so go ahead and cherry-pick what you think is useful but it should be a good starting point.

I also noticed a few people talking about Megasquirt here. I would say it definitely has its upsides for overlanding. Two main advantages for us are that it has full automatic baro adjustment so it adjusts for changes in altitude. (Try running an L-jet car from sea level to 4000 meters without adjustment) And it makes any troubleshooting a whole lot easier, plug in your laptop and immediately see if all your sensors are giving you sensible data. And as a bonus you can make mixture and spark changes as required for driving conditions.

We choose to set it up in parallel to the original L-jet and dizzy setup so in case of issues I can switch back to stock ignition and or fuel within a minute. Basically giving us a redundant spark and fuel system.