Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp deflector tin
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

I have two sizes. Which one goes on a 1200 40hp? The smaller is 2 3/4 wide the larger is 3 3/8 wide.
Thanks!
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

the larger one is 40-1600 the small one is 36hp.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

Thanks!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

I saw this a few days ago and was going to reply but was short on time. I just remembered so now here you go.

What was said above, that the 40HP (known everywhere else in the world as the 34bhp engine) was the same deflector as the 1300-1500-1600? That is NOT correct. 34bhp/40HP cylinders are noticeably shorter than the ones used on the 1300 to 1600 engines - yeah the stroke only increased 2.5mm per side, but VW also made the connecting rods longer - I think the intent was to provide more potential cooling by having more fins on longer cylinders. And the late deflectors are too wide to even properly fit on a 34bhp engine!

By 1971, VW was listing 3 part numbers for deflectors:

And right out of some some old VW service manuals, you can see they are not the same - also, the 36HP has a notch in it.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
creideahm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

Thank you very much. So I took a 1600 cylinder and 1200 cylinder and compared. Sure enough what you posted is spot in. Learn something everyday here!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp deflector tin Reply with quote

You are welcome. Sorry I didn't have the time to reply the other day, but I'm on a 7-days-in-a-row work schedule, 12 hours shifts, leaving me not much time to do anything else until I get to Days Off! Cool

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: