Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

that motor will be glad you cleaned the strainer up!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
Tom Powell wrote:
You're missing a 3/8" torque wrench for the CV bolts, a 6 ft pipe to extend your cheater bar and a BFH.

Aloha
tp

I have that poor mans torque wrench on the left ... I have a BFH off screen, already owned one so I just posted what I got in the mail.

I prefer the beam type torque wrench like you have. It doesn't need to be recalibrated every year. When you do your CV joints you'll need either a long 6 point hex socket or a long triple square hex socket. The triple square bolts are less likely to get rounded out. You'll also need new Schnorr washers.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

that black shit in the strainer looked (by volume) to be from the case parting line goop. some sort of RTV- which hates hot oil and alcohol.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Let's see a pic of your CVs all clean and shiny from a good gas bath!

Thou shall anoint thee - and blessed be thy who hath be thus baptized.

Upon departure of thine journey unto bushood, a bath of gas, and CV cleaning trials, shall impart upon the pilgrim the soundness of spirit, and show all in the village that the pilgrim has indeed fullness of heart, and drive, to follow the journey through the tribulations that the blessed shall encounter..

Abscate wrote:

..and thou shalt not be awakened to the click clack clonk of the AntiChrist making havoc upon thy CV joints..

williamM wrote:

Hallelujah brother Arrow let the snapping of the rubber glove and application of the sacred black grease followed by the click of the torque wrench usher in a period of tranquillity rolling down the road in search of the next VW crusade.

Sorry- I feel the spirit upon me occasionally-

You guys are fucking great.

We'll be here all week ladies and gents. Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn Anxious

Don't step in any!
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Saw that one of the engine tin sheets was screwed into one of my heat exchangers. Really not please about that, Common sense tells me that's really not an ok thing to do.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

___

also found this floating around behind the shroud, I wondow how long it's been tumbling in there?

____

No other updates asides from me learning where the valve cover is and taking it off. Slow week.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Don't worry about the engine tin screw going into the heat exchanger, its absolutely fine and as VW intended. You'll find one on the other side too!

Here you can see us mocking the lower under tin up

- 180W Solar System

Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
Don't worry about the engine tin screw going into the heat exchanger, its absolutely fine and as VW intended. You'll find one on the other side too!

Here you can see us mocking the lower under tin up

That's very reasuuring! However I have pretty big concerns about the amount of fuel that is coming out of this hole now, along with the whole area having a good fresh coat of oil since i changed the oil. Valve cover gasket was not the issue, I'll have to do more investigating.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

which side is covered in oil?

sounds to me like your pushrod tube seals need replacing, get a torch and have a look see if you can see any signs of leakage.

Another possibility is the oil cooler seals, they are two round rubber squash type seals rather than o ring type ones.
- 180W Solar System

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

broken injector Question Question

what is your oil level

Don't step in any!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:

sounds to me like your pushrod tube seals need replacing, get a torch and have a look see if you can see any signs of leakage.

Another possibility is the oil cooler seals, they are two round rubber squash type seals rather than o ring type ones.

you do know ---English- for flash light is torch-- no flames involved.

After re-reading your post- and seeing that old belt wedged behind the fan- that rear seal comes to mind.

As to that heater box- it's basically big tin bowl. So that oil coolers as explained can put oil down there- as well as the push rod tubes- look under the valve cover and see if any green o rings are squishing out. Also see if the spring wire is sitting on top of the push rod tubes and not down in them.

Try and follow that oil path down the exhaust manifold and see where that is coming from?

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:

So far I have only seen the right side, I was familerizing myself with setting valve points, which i didn't even get around too. I'll go take a look tomorrow, right now im at work and I work untill midnight.

Hopfully its the pushrod seals, because i bought a bunch just for this scenario.

Last edited by Angelus343 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

He might have seen that im over in cambridgeshire and called it a torch for my sake. Hopfully it's that because I have no flamey torch. Sad
Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
broken injector Question Question

what is your oil level

Sadley this bus got it's FI gutted, Im working with dual carbs now. I'll check and report back with the oil level tomorrow as well.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

lol not a flamey type torch, an iPhone lighty uppy type torch Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
williamM wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

Embarassed shush- some times you gotta explain it to the kids.

Don't step in any!
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:
williamM wrote:
MorkC68 wrote:

Embarassed shush- some times you gotta explain it to the kids.

Wink Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

Angelus343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

It's been a while since my last update but I've discovered the frustration of running into little issue that bring things to a complete halt.

My most recent problem are my tappet adjusting nuts being rounded off for the most part, I've ordered a new set from JK but they sent me 17mm instead of 14mm. The inner threading is still 10mm so is there a reason I can't use these 17mm nuts?
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
er Westfalia
Type 4
GD 2.0
53,352 miles
duel Dellorto's 34FRD

_____

I have no idea what this random hose is doing there.

_____

That hose hanging down is likely the vacuum hose from the carb/manifold system for the brake vacuum. It should connect to a metal tube up behind one of the top hat cross members that then connects to the brake booster. Looks like it really needs to be replaced. I have FRD 34's and love them, easy to adjust, but no chokes, so first couple of minutes running is a bit rough, but then wonderful. Somewhere there should be a tap off of the manifolds for brake vacuum, so you need to find that and make sure there are no vacuum leaks to the brake system. It will improve braking immensely! Little known fact, a Bus can stop very fast, but the brake system must be set up correctly!
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

Angelus343 wrote:
It's been a while since my last update but I've discovered the frustration of running into little issue that bring things to a complete halt.

My most recent problem are my tappet adjusting nuts being rounded off for the most part, I've ordered a new set from JK but they sent me 17mm instead of 14mm. The inner threading is still 10mm so is there a reason I can't use these 17mm nuts?

They'll probably work, but why add extra weight to the valve train? The extra weight is not good. And no Bus engine was ever made with "extra" weight in the valve train. Return them! Better to run the originals.
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My first Bus experience! Smoke, zip ties and idiot lights... Reply with quote

[/quote]
That hose hanging down is likely the vacuum hose from the carb/manifold system for the brake vacuum. It should connect to a metal tube up behind one of the top hat cross members that then connects to the brake booster. Looks like it really needs to be replaced. I have FRD 34's and love them, easy to adjust, but no chokes, so first couple of minutes running is a bit rough, but then wonderful. Somewhere there should be a tap off of the manifolds for brake vacuum, so you need to find that and make sure there are no vacuum leaks to the brake system. It will improve braking immensely! Little known fact, a Bus can stop very fast, but the brake system must be set up correctly![/quote]

That would probably explain the "rock hard brake pedal" he said it had in the original post.

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: