Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

I have a "weekender" thus no kitchen or storage drawers.
I use the jump seat as kitchen storage.
The silverware, bottle/can openers, cutlery, condiments, etc have been floating around in ZipLok baggies...... Not ideal at all.

I discovered Husky waterproof storage containers at Home Depot in the tool box aisle.
They have two sizes, the larger ones are great! Can be divided inside, latch securely, have a padded bottom to eliminate rattles and sliding about.
About $15 each, not cheap but is quality.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ready for camping! .........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

In preparation for our upcoming Baja trip, I took every single item out of the van and asked myself whether it was necessary for this trip or not, backpacker style. I've been able to gain a lot of space.

One thing I found (and this might be common sense) is that if I take my spare filters, CV joint, fuel pump, electrical connectors, wire, zip ties, etc. out of their original boxes and put them in zip lock bags, I save a ton of space. I was able to fit all of that stuff in the battery box under the drivers seat (batteries are in the back now.)

I also decided to splurge on some lightweight sleeping bags that compress to a far smaller size than our regular cold weather mountain bags.

Our trip is still a couple of weeks out, but as I enter old fart-hood, I'm finding that the sooner I start planning space, the better things turn out. This method is in contrast to my old way, which was throwing everything into (or on top of) the van the night before. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

roll your clothes, that way they pack tight, and wrinkles is minimized. I can squeeze two rifles and two hand guns in a midium sized rifle case, but I wrap the guns in soft towels to prevent them from being marred by the other(s). Of course the ammo must be stored sperate per california law, no ammo in the gun case allowed, even that forgotten .22 round that rolled under the foam padding can get you in trouble, so make sure the case is neat and clean no stray shells.

my insurance forms and registration are kept togther in a zip lock bag, easy to find them in the glove box all nice and neat.

I loop a head lamp head band around the shifter stick, always handy to have the light near by, and it wont roll off when looped over the shifter stick.

spare oil, funnel towels are in a plastic milk crate on the floor behind driver seat, also location for fire extingusher, use care to not bury the extingusher under luggage, when you need it, you need it fast.

for my get out of dodge quick kit, I have a back pack with gas mask, exposure suit, water, survival food, light, radio, knife, all together, ready to toss into the van at moment notice. also keep about six gallons of drinking water in van for emergency use.
I dont premix my spare antifreeze, I carry seperate full strength antifreeze and water. I will mix the two as needed for the cooling system, this way I have the option of drinking the water if need be.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

Does anybody use this space under the rear cabinet for anything useful? I have put my jumper cables back there.

also - to free up space in the cabin - has anybody moved the starting battery to the engine compartment with a stock 2.1? I've looked at it, but never really that long. Don't know if it could lay on it's side behind the rear light in that big vacant spot.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.

Last edited by designer on Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Does anybody use this space under the rear cabinet for anything useful? I have put my jumper cables back there.

thanks sDeluca for the image

I've managed to fit 2-3 quarts of oil, a funnel, rags, mini air compressor and a pair of work gloves in that space. There's also a long space on top of that cabinet too.
VWagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:

Our trip is still a couple of weeks out, but as I enter old fart-hood, I'm finding that the sooner I start planning space, the better things turn out. This method is in contrast to my old way, which was throwing everything into (or on top of) the van the night before...One thing I found (and this might be common sense) is that if I take my spare filters, CV joint, fuel pump, electrical connectors, wire, zip ties, etc. out of their original boxes and put them in zip lock bags, I save a ton of space. I was able to fit all of that stuff in the battery box under the drivers seat (batteries are in the back now.) Very Happy

"Old fart-hood"…I represent that statement; looking at 68 coming round the mountain but still raring to go. Like your idea about emergency repair part storage. Love to see how you've got your batteries set-up as I'm looking to add a spare battery soon. Hope you have a great trip!
Tom
87 Syncro GL
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

designer wrote:

I keep a frisbee and rear hatch bug screen in there. I've seen a great post from someone who fit his Propex in there.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you pack to reduce clutter? (packing accessories) Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:

I loop a head lamp head band around the shifter stick, always handy to have the light near by, and it wont roll off when looped over the shifter stick.

That's a great idea.

VWagabond wrote:
Hope you have a great trip!
Tom

Thanks Tom! It's going to be good to be afield. Very Happy

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: