Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Curious question; Does your VW Thing Type 181 have stock 15" rims?

I believe I recently stumbled across a 15" VW Thing Rim and am not sure if 1) it's German, or if it's Mexican.

I'm looking to resell, but want to post, to share and give as much valid info as possible on this topic on Thesamba as well as sharing the knowledge amounst us VW heads here.

I'll start off with this diagram showing the tie between an Early Bus Rim ('50-'63) to a VW Thing rim.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is a couple things that are similar; both are 15", both share a wide 5 bolt pattern, and both share 4 slots. See photo below; Bus = Rusty, Thing = Black. They do look "different" and not sure exactly why at first glance perhaps you can point something out that I have overlooked.

Now the fun part, what makes it different?

I want to denote specifically Bus/Thing Rim differences.

First thing is the width of the rim, though only "just off" there is a noticible difference between them. See below, please note in below photo Bus = Black Thing = Rusty.

Another thing to point out is the location of the valave stem; the Bus always lines up with a lug hole where as a Thing is across from a hubcap clip.

The 1 thing I'm not aware of and would like to find out; is this a German Thing Rim or a Mexico Thing Rim? Please note markings I've found on the VW Thing Rim; 4JX15 & KH 72

If you happen to have these on your Thing please let me know If it is German built or Mexican built type 181, it would be greatly appriciated!
Instagram: Magiceddielive
Drive alive
Enthusiast-would be an understatement.
...Air-cooled by SummerFroze by Winter...
www.arcticaircooledvws.com
Wild Bill wrote:
"Life In the FAST LANE". What the Hell does that feel like?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Does you Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

It must be an optical illusion. To me the black Thing rim looks smaller in diameter. Are they really the same diameter? My Thing has 14 inch rims.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Does you Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Ray Syverson wrote:
It must be an optical illusion. To me the black Thing rim looks smaller in diameter. Are they really the same diameter? My Thing has 14 inch rims.

They are both a 15", I just went and layed them on top of each other the Bus rim lip looks like it may be just a MM bigger all the way around.

But as you can see they are very similar. Is you VW Thing German built or Mexican built?

-Eddie
Drive alive
Wild Bill wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Does you Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

If it was a Thing 15" rim it would have the markings of 4.5K x 15 not 4J x 15.
Look at the page with the rim pictured. The 15" thing rims have a bus part number also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Does you Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

In answer to your question, mine is Mexican made. I am at that point where I want to get new tires and am having no joy in finding much available. I am wondering if I want to go to the extra expense of getting 15 in. rims and tires that are slightly bigger in diam. My Thing looks like it needs bigger wheels.The top of the tires are just 24.3 inches high from the floor. As for the "optical illusion", I see now it was because of the camera angle.
magiceddie88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Does you Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Okay, after digging I'm going to leave this here to my understanding this is a repoduction VW rim made by Kelsey Hayes. I believe it was intended to replace stock Bus & Thing rims as noted above. I think this is also why its appearance is simular yet different over all, knowledge is power and now we know.

-Eddie
Drive alive
Wild Bill wrote:

Last edited by magiceddie88 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ray Syverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Does you Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Eddie, That is really interesting that your rim was made by Kelsey-Hayes. I have a 1913 Model T Ford in addition to my Thing, and I know that Kelsey -Hayes made wheels for the Ford cars at that time. Nice to know that there was a distant connection of some kind between my two old cars! Smile
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

from 1970-1973 VW Type 181's were made with 15" wheels. it was a 4.5x15" wheel with a 165 R15 tires. They were the same four slotted wheels as on a Type 2. From March 1973 forward, all Things (Type 181's) came with unique 14" wheels with 185 R14 tires. The should have a 181 part number. The 14" Type 181 specific wheels are un-slotted.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

The '73 Thing I had was a German military Personnkraftwagen, Type 183 (maybe 182) made in Germany...it had 14" rims on it. Hard to say if they were the ones that came on the vehicle as the shop had many and could have just swapped them from a later model.
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

[quote="Eric Goodman"]from 1970-1973 VW Type 181's were made with 15" wheels. it was a 4.5x15" wheel with a 165 R15 tires. They were the same four slotted wheels as on a Type 2.

4,5x15 wheel till serial number 1812617370 about march/ april 1971 Cool
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Here's the 4JKx15's I'm running on "Hermann". They came with the car, I don't know if they are original Thing rims.

Mike
Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Also see this thread I started, since it deals not just with tires but with wheels: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672337

My Mexican '73 came with 4.5J X 14 stock steel wheels, but I replaced them recently with 5.0J X 15 steel wheels made in China and offered by a number of sources. They are copies of a German VW original and of a very high quality, made with powder-coated dull silver paint. Important to note is that the ET offset is EXACTLY the same as the stock 14" steel wheel, so no problems with rubbing, range of steering, etc. The above thread details most of the applicable particulars as regards both wheel and tire solutions.

My selection of the 5.0J X 15 steel wheel paired with a 195/65R15 tire resulted in almost a perfect match to the original rolling specs, but with a slight lowering of engine RPMs at highways speeds (a perfect solution to lowering engine 'work' without going to Type 181 compatible tranny final drive ratios). I now do about 3400 PRM at 65 mph, vice the former 3400 at 55 mph. Bottom line torque drops off only slightly, but with a 'stock' Thing, being able to keep up with the semi truck & trailer rigs on the freeway FAR outweighs the need to out-accelerate other vehicles.

Never forget, however, that 'Things'...like actor Rodney Dangerfield...get 'no respect' from other, faster traffic on the freeways (unless they're 'clued-in' VW savvy folks), LoL. Confused A 'Thing' always remains in imminent danger of getting an unexpected Mack Truck enema, even under the most optimal conditions!

[The only irrefutable evidence we have that intelligent life truly exists elsewhere in the Universe is the fact that so far it has NOT contacted humanity...]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

YDBD wrote:
The '73 Thing I had was a German military Personnkraftwagen, Type 183 (maybe 182) made in Germany.

Type 183 was an Iltis (1978-81, plus small production runs here and there through 1988 not including Bombardier).

I thought a Type 182 was a RHD Type 181, but I wouldn't bet more than $5 on that. Confused
Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Type 181 = Kurierwagen (Germany), Thing (US), Safari (South America)

Type 182 = Trekker (RHD-UK)

Type 183 = Iltis

Mark
Shaven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

[quote="oasis"]
YDBD wrote:
I thought a Type 182 was a RHD Type 181, but I wouldn't bet more than $5 on that. Confused

Correct Wink
hunza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

I recently rescued a type 182 which most of you would know is a RHD type 181. Oddly enuff it comes with 15 inch wheels. I was not sure if these were original and I posted a query on another thread but I know now these are original.
I can confirm that my Type 182 is Made in Germany so the wheels too are most likely German as well.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Does your Thing have 15" stock Rims? Reply with quote

Eric Goodman wrote:
from 1970-1973 VW Type 181's were made with 15" wheels. it was a 4.5x15" wheel with a 165 R15 tires. They were the same four slotted wheels as on a Type 2. From March 1973 forward, all Things (Type 181's) came with unique 14" wheels with 185 R14 tires. The should have a 181 part number. The 14" Type 181 specific wheels are un-slotted.

I'm sorry, but the date of the wheel change over is wrong. The 15 inch type 2 wheel with 165R15 tire is only listed in the parts book for vehicles up to chassis number 181 2617 369, which is February of 1971. Chassis number 181 2617 370 and later got the 181 specific 14 inch rim with 185R14 tire.

Lets also be careful not to misinterpret chassis numbers. All 181/182/183 chassis numbers will begin with 18. The third digit is the model year regardless of whether the car is RHD, LHD, or an Iltis. For example, my 1973 Thing chassis number begins with 183, which means that it is a 1973 model year, not an Iltis. The specific vehicle type is stamped in the upper left of the aluminum vin tag in the trunk (or engine compartment of an Iltis). Fun tidbit: a 1980 181 will have a vin number starting in 18A and so will a 1980 183 Iltis.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: