Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FI Intake Plenum/Throttle Body Question/More FI Problems
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: FI Intake Plenum/Throttle Body Question/More FI Problems Reply with quote

So I recently made a thread about the rubber isolators on my MPS/MAP mount failing. While I was trying to get the car driveable to get home, I had to adjust my idle a few times and while setting it I noticed that while trying to close the throttle valve fully, it will hit the stop but then start opening the other way.

I dont know if this is something to be worried about since I doubt the throttle spring has enough force to open the throttle the opposite way but I know that it never did that before, so my question is, is my plenum/throttle body worn out and in need of replacement? Maybe I just need a new butterfly?

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Intake Plenum/Throttle Body Question/More FI Problems Reply with quote

,splain a little more please. Bear with me while I map this out in my mind.

So you are standing behind the car looking forward at the engine and plenum.

So when the throttle plate opens.....the cable pulls toward the front of the car....and the bottom of the throttle plate at 6:00...tilts forward toward the front of the car...while the top of the plate at,12:00 tips rearward toward you......so we all have orientation.

So you are saying that when you close the throttle.....it keeps rotating ......the top of the plate at,12:00....keeps moving toward the front of the car?

STOP. Check to make sure that the two screws holding the plate to the throttle shaft are not only tight....but that they are made up tight against the plate.

In rare situations they can come loose and fall out. There is a small amount of tooerance around the screw holes in the plate. Whenever you have the plate out you must be careful to get it exactly flat on the cutout on the shaft and dead centered in the bore before tightening. And....if you get it flipped over it will sometimes not fit right.....and hwen you tighten the screws the plate is not dead level on the shaft cut out......so once it moves around it loosens up and the screws back off.

If the screws are loose...it allows the plate to move around a little and take advantahe of that small amount of screw hole slack.....and it can then over rotate because it does not have a positive stop spot in the bore. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: FI Intake Plenum/Throttle Body Question/More FI Problems Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
,splain a little more please. Bear with me while I map this out in my mind.

So you are standing behind the car looking forward at the engine and plenum.

So when the throttle plate opens.....the cable pulls toward the front of the car....and the bottom of the throttle plate at 6:00...tilts forward toward the front of the car...while the top of the plate at,12:00 tips rearward toward you......so we all have orientation.

So you are saying that when you close the throttle.....it keeps rotating ......the top of the plate at,12:00....keeps moving toward the front of the car?

Yes. If I try to manually close the throttle, it will do that if I put a little bit extra oomph on it.

raygreenwood wrote:
STOP. Check to make sure that the two screws holding the plate to the throttle shaft are not only tight....but that they are made up tight against the plate.

In rare situations they can come loose and fall out. There is a small amount of tooerance around the screw holes in the plate. Whenever you have the plate out you must be careful to get it exactly flat on the cutout on the shaft and dead centered in the bore before tightening. And....if you get it flipped over it will sometimes not fit right.....and hwen you tighten the screws the plate is not dead level on the shaft cut out......so once it moves around it loosens up and the screws back off.

If the screws are loose...it allows the plate to move around a little and take advantahe of that small amount of screw hole slack.....and it can then over rotate because it does not have a positive stop spot in the bore. Ray

I will check that and report back.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: