Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quitting smoking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I don't rag on folks for smoking, shit man I smoked for over 20 years myself. I think the vape is a transitional thing that some can use before saying goodbye to the oral fixation 100%. What helped me stop back around 2000 was a trip to the ER with chest pains and Doc telling me "I'll see you again" fuck that. I had also read a book about the history of cigs in the U.S. and the deceptive practices and marketing, that pissed me off. Then I became aware of a political aspect to it as well, that cinched it. The info is out there if anyone cares to look, if you are cool to keep subsidizing these assholes ok, but i couldn't and Then theres the folks I know that haves died. I feel sorry for the ones left that are unable to kick this drug, its bad shit. What can we do?
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

So outside my wife's business is a bus stop. Everyday like clockwork, a nurse (or woman wearing hospital scrubs) would light up while waiting for the bus. My wife is highly allergic to smoke (anaphylaxis) so I politely asked her to turn it off and/or move away from the door. I also posted signs that read "NO SMOKING WITHIN 25 FEET OF STORE ENTRANCE" She replied" this is a public street and I can do whatever I want." After a few friendly ignored reminders, I walked up to her and told her, "look Lady, obviously you work in the Medical Field and you know the law and the consequences of smoking, if you do not stop smoking in front of my store, I will report you to your place of employment!" and Voila! she stopped lighting in front of the store, and heck, last time I greeted her she stated she completely quit smoking! Maybe all she needed was a little push to come to her senses.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

10 days, smoked over 20 years I’m feeling good. Very Happy

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Stay strong you can beat it.
BG Brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Funny I looked back through this and saw I had posted in 2013.I think that time I lasted about 3 months.I started doing the vape thing until I had the damn thing in my mouth constantly and my chest hurt so I went back to smoking.Today I'm glad to say its been one year without smoking. I guess I was finally ready cuz it's actually been easier this time.
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Smoked my first cigarette in 1969 while hitch hiking my way from Virginia to California at a tender age of 16. When I turned thirty I quit, just put them down, then picked them back up when I turned 45, fifteen years later at 60 I quit again. I am really looking forward to turning 75, may even pull a 14 year wait and pick up a carton at 74.

I have always enjoyed the smell of tobacco, burning or not, enjoy the taste of tobacco like someone that enjoys coffee or wine.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

Keep it up, you'll feel even better! I have just over 7 months of being a non-smoker after smoking a pack a day for 24 years. Heart attack at 42 made it easy to quit. I have also made a bunch of other dietary changes and started riding mt. bike.

I don't know if the urge ever goes away but the patch did help me through the first week.

Oh, and over $1,700 saved in that seven months Shocked
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

My dad, who smoked 4 packs of Camel unfiltereds each day, found sure fire way to stop his smoking habit. He died. Of emphysema.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
My dad, who smoked 4 packs of Camel unfiltereds each day, found sure fire way to stop his smoking habit. He died. Of emphysema.

Sadly, I've lost many family members to cancer from their decades of smoking. They grew up in the "smoking" generations of the 50's and 60's. While they all quit smoking by age 55, cancer claimed most of them in one form or another. None made it past 76 years old.

There's no doubt that quitting smoking is the best thing you can do to extend your time on the planet. It also relieves a tremendous burden on your wallet with the high cost of cigarettes these days.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

cold turkey is the only way .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

My wife has quit many times, yet something will set her off and she'll light one up. Her brother just died last year (56) and that really changed her way of thinking, until she started again last week. Most everyone in her family smokes. After a visit a couple years ago to Texas, she came home smoking again.
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

It's been 101 days still going strong. I should of quit years ago before i ran into problems.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

It's been 101 days still going strong. I should of quit years ago before i ran into problems.

Good job, buddy! Keep going! Very Happy
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

February 9th 2009 - cold turkey and haven’t looked back. I remember standing on the back porch lighting up trying to stay out of site of my 5 and 2 year old kids. I felt like a pos hiding out there freezing cold and then something clicked. Hope this encourages some folks if they are having a hard time.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

After I quit smoking a good friend of mine kept right on and from time to time blew smoke on me while he laughed. Then one day I got a phone call saying he’d had a stroke. He didn’t die but it would have been better if he did, he spent the next 12 years paralyzed on his left side, shitting his diaper and unable to speak a word. The sad part was he could understand what we were saying but he was locked into this broken body 24-7 for 12 agonizing years until he finally got pneumonia and died. He had smoked all his life until the stroke. Cigs are about 7-8 dollars a pack here maybe cheaper if you roll your own. Thats insane.
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I just moved back to Virginia from Massachusetts after a few years, and I noticed the prices.

Virginia price per pack: $4.85
Mass price per pack: $11 Shocked

Thankfully I don't smoke.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

I'm sorry for your loss, buddy.

I think it was Dr. James Dobson that said that the most alone a man ever feels in his life, is when his father passes.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
56Cabrio wrote:

Keep it up, you'll feel even better! I have just over 7 months of being a non-smoker after smoking a pack a day for 24 years. Heart attack at 42 made it easy to quit. I have also made a bunch of other dietary changes and started riding mt. bike.

I don't know if the urge ever goes away but the patch did help me through the first week.

Oh, and over $1,700 saved in that seven months Shocked

In five days it will be one year no cigarrettes. Not one. I have had a few dreams where I smoked though. Glad to be done with those fucking things. Cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

I’m at over 20 years quit and still have occasional dreams of smoking, and while in the dream I feel shitty for having gone backwards but when I awaken feel better realizing it was all a dream Very Happy only downside to quitting was I gained weight. One year out? I’d say you’ve beat it and congratulations.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quitting smoking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
I’m at over 20 years quit and still have occasional dreams of smoking, and while in the dream I feel shitty for having gone backwards but when I awaken feel better realizing it was all a dream Very Happy only downside to quitting was I gained weight. One year out? I’d say you’ve beat it and congratulations.

Thank you, feels good to be a quitter! Same here regarding the dreams, so clear and vivid too. Always relieved when i wake up. Cool

Just under $3k savings in a year Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 24

Jump to: