Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a shop space for rent in the Bellingham, WA area? I'm going to do the Bostig/Zetec conversion this spring, but don't have garage space. I'm willing to pay for the space. As a side note if anyone wants to lend a hand and learn about the install, you're more than welcome to drop by for an hour or days even.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!

Last edited by Microbusdeluxe on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop space in Bellingham WA Zetec time Reply with quote

You can do it in a driveway.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop space in Bellingham WA Zetec time Reply with quote

Or in the street, driveway, or parking spot of the apt.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Shop space in Bellingham WA Zetec time Reply with quote

maybe in MA Jeff but this is the PNWet! Laughing

I've done 3+ Bostig Conversions and I agree that it can be done in a driveway, weather permitting. The last one I did took three days including cleaning the engine bay, adding ss coolant pipes, new hoses and radiator.

JudoJeff wrote:
You can do it in a driveway.
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

Ill be keeping you in mind Turbotransporter.

Microbusdelux, Ive got a good buddy whos a Ham'er and a bit of a tinkerer. Ill ask him if he knows a spot.
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

I don't know of a spot right now, but I will keep an eye out for ya! My garage is already full of VWs.

How long do you anticipate this will take?

I'd love to swing by and lend a hand, my time is somewhat limited, PM me when you get things scheduled.

Are you familiar with Jon's Repair in Fairhaven? He is working limited hours and his shop may be free on weekends or he may let you have a corner for a few weeks or something. I have no idea if he would be comfortable letting someone have access to his shop. Might be worth a try.

BTC? Storage unit??
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

We only have sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns here in Massachusetts...

Could you erect a tent/shelter over it while you work? Hope you find an indoor spot.
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
WisconsinCharlie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

I would love to come help. I've got a parking structure we could throw up in a driveway.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

I really appreciate all of the ideas and offers. And while I could do it on the gravel parking strip bordering the street in front of my house (no driveway, the curse of a home built in 1909), I'm just not going to do that. I spent my teenage hot rodding years rolling my skinny self under cars (could open up those headers in about 2 minutes flat!), but those days are gone.

In calling around town I've found that the storage places do not allow any mechanical work to take place and renting a commercial shop runs about a thousand dollars a month. Since I'll be sending my transaxle to AA in Seattle, I'm going to need 2 months time to get this done, that's a bit too much.

Invitation is still open up here in the rainy NW.
'81 Westy sold
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

may be rent a corner space or parking spot at a mechanic shop?
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? Reply with quote

Craigslist is sometimes your friend, this could work. If you could work a face to face meeting they may let you do it if they sense you are a stand up guy.
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/prk/6035604756.html
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND Reply with quote

As a service to other Sambanistas in the Bellingham, WA area I'm glad to announce that I found a great workplace here in town. It's 1/2 of a large shop (10' door, 14' ceiling, my half is about 20'x25' in area). It's at a guys's private home, electricity, etc, for $400 a month. I'll be using it through May, but if anyone is interested in a work space after that, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the owner.

I found it through Craig's List.
'81 Westy sold
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND Reply with quote

Good deal. A month of dry is good, for doing a proper job. I bet it takes 10 days. Did you get your trans rebuilt yet?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe wrote:
As a service to other Sambanistas in the Bellingham, WA area I'm glad to announce that I found a great workplace here in town. It's 1/2 of a large shop (10' door, 14' ceiling, my half is about 20'x25' in area). It's at a guys's private home, electricity, etc, for $400 a month. I'll be using it through May, but if anyone is interested in a work space after that, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the owner.

I found it through Craig's List.

Wonderful! There's a tremendous opportunity in matching excess capacity with consumers of that resource.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND Reply with quote

Cool! Good to hear. Keep us posted on the swap.
Destructo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Zetec time: Shop space in Bellingham, WA? FOUND Reply with quote

Microbusdeluxe, come join us on the Facebook page if you haven't already (that is if you do the facebook thing) Lot's of instant help and suggestions while doing your swap. Good luck, hope you found a good engine!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bostigvans/

Cool

Dude, where's your van?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: