Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window insurance?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

I recently moved from Colorado to Alabama I had collector car coverage in CO with limited use ( 6,000 miles a year, no work commute) My Ins Coverage will be dropped in a couple months when the policy expires. The Co says they do not sell in Alabama???

What do "you all" (getting that southern thing down) do for collector car Ins?

Do you use special Ins if not how do you determine value with your regular carrier. I would have to have my 69 crewcab smacked by someone and have my Ins Co say it is worth $5000 because it is old.

also I am planning to retire in a few months and will be driving it a lot more (losing my Co car)...so I might want full Ins on it

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Lots of ways to skin this cat.

I choose to use SF (multi policy) with an "agreed value" of the bus. I have no limations and drive my bus many happy miles a year.
’65 Deluxe Build
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: bay window insurance? Reply with quote

If your rig gets "smacked" you don't have to worry about your insurance. You have to worry about the other guy's insurance. Most insurance companies will work an agreed value policy for those other times. Like when you do the smacking or an uninsured turd hits it. (Happened to me 3 times in 3 years)

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Lil' Lulu wrote:
If your rig gets "smacked" you don't have to worry about your insurance. You have to worry about the other guy's insurance. Most insurance companies will work an agreed value policy for those other times. Like when you do the smacking or an uninsured turd hits it. (Happened to me 3 times in 3 years)

So what actually happens when you get smacked and the other guy's insurance company just sees a 1970 something bus on paper? Does your insurance company pick up the slack? Do you have to fight the other guy's insurance?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: bay window insurance????????????? Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
I choose to use SF (multi policy) with an "agreed value" of the bus. I have no limations and drive my bus many happy miles a year.

Rich - I contacted your State Farm rep, which operates in both Colorado and New Mexico, about getting this same policy. It's been months working with them to do so, and I have yet to see an actual policy that is not a collector's policy. I am getting discouraged, since this is the only lead I have. I guess I need to tell them specifically that "I want what Rich has."

But back to the OP's concern: I hear you. I have not been able to get decent insurance on my rigs ever. That would be, an agreed value, without the stipulations of having to keep it in a garage or driving it only to shows.

I also feel your pain in moving to Alabama. I did that at age 12 (moved with my parents) and the culture there was pretty awful. Real culture shock. But, eventually, I learned to play banjo (not kidding!) and I fit right in. Razz
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: bay window insurance????????????? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

But, eventually, I learned to play banjo (not kidding!) and I fit right in. Razz

That is hilarious!
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Yep- You guessed it. You have to fight the other guy's insurance. It's usually a scumbag with no isurance. I really had a problem a few years ago when my mother's car let go in her driveway and hit my bus. Her insurance was reluctant to pay and I was faced with the prospect of having to sue my own mother. Crying or Very sad Not an enviable situation.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Lil' Lulu wrote:
Yep- You guessed it. You have to fight the other guy's insurance. It's usually a scumbag with no isurance. .

Well that is a terrifying thought. I guess I will have to be in defensive driver mode at all times.

Dash cams front and back seem like a good idea.
jocco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

I am no insurance agent but several out fits sell collector car insurance. Some will appraise the bus say $20,000 if it gets totaled. This is not liability or injury. I would start talking to various agents, I am sure you will wonder if some of them really are insurance agents. : shock:
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bay window insurance????????????? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
richparker wrote:

Rich - I contacted your State Farm rep, which operates in both Colorado and New Mexico, about getting this same policy. It's been months working with them to do so, and I have yet to see an actual policy that is not a collector's policy. I am getting discouraged, since this is the only lead I have. I guess I need to tell them specifically that "I want what Rich has."

This seems odd. I also have State Farm car insurance on all three of my VW's. It their collector car, limited use insurance and I have agreed upon replacement value on them as well. It's not daily drivers insurance on them but I think I'm allowed 4k miles a year or something like that. It less than $250 a year each.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

^I have regular full coverage, not classic car insurance.
’65 Deluxe Build
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

I have regular coverage too, but got an approved appraisal of value for insurance replacement purposes.

At least here in Canada, most reputable insurers of older (collector-type) vehicles will insist on a proper appraisal.

Without it, you would likely get very little in the event of a loss.

I have Collector coverage from Hagerty for my 71 Bug - limited miles and use, and that's ok - because it's use really is limited. (Has to be a second vehicle too)

For my Bus, I don't want any limitations. I want to drive it as much as I want and as far as I want, so I went with regular insurance and appraisal.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

I'm in the same province as Globespotter and did the same with our bus - regular insurance with an appraisal (which the insurance co. easily accepted as replacement value). I was expecting insurance coverage to cost way more than it did - yay!

Specialty insurance had limitations including... cannot go to grocery store -- certainly can't camp in our Westy without doing that!
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

I just added my bus to my safeco policy. They looked up the value of my vehicle and it came back as $45,400 without requiring me to give them a appraisal. I was shocked and very happy about this. I will be providing an appraisal though to back up the value just in case. Check them out if you are shopping for insurance.

http://www.safeco.com/classic-car-insurance/faq

Another option I was looking into was Hagerty but they were quite a bit more money in premiums.

https://www.hagerty.com/
Sprink1es
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

WI - I registered mine as a motorhome (the only requirement was it need a sink and blue water reservoir). Motorhome insurance costs me around $25/mo for full coverage. I also set a guaranteed value of I think $12,000 that I'd get no matter what in a total loss. Progressive (I bundle other vehicles too so mine might be cheaper). I'm 30
kerian159
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

State Farm quantifies a Motorhome as a vehicle with a Sink and Stove (at least down here in Pensacola, FL) my P22 has a sink but no stove Sad

"Growing older, but not up!"
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Thanks I will check Safeco
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

Here in Michigan at State farm, I was told that I would need an appraisal to get collectors ins. I felt like the guy gave me the "WINK" when he told me it just needed to look official. Looking online, it does not say anywhere that appraisers in Michigan need any kind of licence or certification.
Does this mean I can find an impartial VW guy to fill out a form I printed off the internet? seems like someone in the hobby would know better that the Detroit muscle guy on what to look at. Or do I pay the 200 bucks (if I am lucky) and get it done by someone who runs a appraisal biz, but has no cert, just experience?
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Here in Michigan at State farm, I was told that I would need an appraisal to get collectors ins. I felt like the guy gave me the "WINK" when he told me it just needed to look official. Looking online, it does not say anywhere that appraisers in Michigan need any kind of licence or certification.
Does this mean I can find an impartial VW guy to fill out a form I printed off the internet? seems like someone in the hobby would know better that the Detroit muscle guy on what to look at. Or do I pay the 200 bucks (if I am lucky) and get it done by someone who runs a appraisal biz, but has no cert, just experience?

Talk to Chris at Munk's and see if he could do it, he would probably charge an hour of shop time to do it. State of Mind Customs in Lapeer would be another place to ask too. This is for the Greater Detroit area.

I have Hagerty and need to check with them for a local appraiser so I can raise my coverage amount.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window insurance? Reply with quote

This thread and the another one where someone got hit, made me rethink my insurance coverage so I called my CA State Farm agent. She said that my "stated value" as they calculate is $3,500 as that is what is listed as the value on their sheets. I told her that it's probably closer to $15-20K, so asked if we could change it to an "agreed value" policy so i don't have to fight with them if/when there's an issue. She said that a agreed-value policy can only be done for vehicles 1970 and older as per State Farm policy (not sure if they are unique)...and the year hasn't changed in the last 10 years. So, her advice was to keep it as is, and if/when there's an issue, i'd have to provide proof of value which was as simple as showing eBay sales values. I was surprised i couldn't offer to pay them more per year to increase the coverage, but has to do with fraud risk (i.e. i increase coverage to something its not worth, crash it, buy new car at lower value, pocket difference). I hope this helps..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: