Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12 volt engine swap into 6 volt car
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: 12 volt engine swap into 6 volt car Reply with quote

Not that I need any more projects but I am looking to get my '66 on the road while I keep plugging away on the '67. My '66 is missing complete engine and I would like to swap in the engine from my '67(which is not original). What is my best route here? Grind the tranny for the 12v flywheel and convert the car to 12v or what parts should I collect to convert my engine to 6 volt? I would like this car to be a driver, no full rebuild just a car to drive.

No other '67 parts will be swapped over just the non-original engine.

Thanks
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt engine swap into 6 volt car Reply with quote

WADVR wrote:
What is my best route here? Grind the tranny for the 12v flywheel and convert the car to 12v or what parts should I collect to convert my engine to 6 volt?

Your "best route"?
You will need to decide . . . converting the engine to 6-volt will require a flywheel swap . . . and the obvious 6-volt generator/regulator, and ignition coil.

Is it best to convert the car to 12-volt? you will need to decide if that is best!
Did ya read this yet . . . http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=233946 . . . found in the F.A.Q. section because your question is . . . frequently asked! Razz
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt engine swap into 6 volt car Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Grinding a small trans for a 200 mm flywheel isn't all that complicated. I install the flywheel and mate the motor as close as possible to the trans. When the larger flywheel touches, turn the crank nut to score the inside of the small transaxle. I grind with a coarse flap wheel to reduce sparks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt engine swap into 6 volt car Reply with quote

If you stay 6V, in addition to the coil, starter, and flywheel, don't forget your electric choke.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: