Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Acapulco Database
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Hedges
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Acapulco Things all fell within a certain 3-month range from May-July 1974. None before & none after those dates. Take a close look at the database, you'll see it's true.
Solomon Grundy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

I have never seen such holes on windshield hinges before. Has anyone else?
If so what are they used for? Confused
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

| _______
| |_______| '73 Thing "481"
| _\_\_|_/_/_
| |O||_4_||O|
| [ ]=====[ ]
http://vwthingregistry.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Just got back in and checked behind the dash, it is blue, it seems to have white under the other colors on the body and blue everywhere it is supposed to, maybe it was done this way by someone back in the day and sold it to a local hotel or the local hotel copied the others, it is hard to say, the son only remembers it about 1978 or 79, it still had the top and was all white by then, the dad did work for the hotel but that is not definitive it was born that way, on a side note we got it running earlier today after sitting for a few years, the mystery is in the hinge holes, they look very clean and factory, they are chamfered/countersunk nicely, I have never seen a Thing with them, Acapulco or not, I hope someone will recognize them, I would like to restore it Acapulco style but until it is determined originally one I will call it a tribute/clone and enjoy it, all the info is greatly appreciated.
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

hobie16 wrote:
Eric Goodman wrote:
As you can see from the Registry list, the VIN's were not specific or in any order for Acapulco's. The only real way yo tell if your Thing was an Acapulco would be to check the original color (white/blue), behind the dash panel should be blue.

Have you now changed your contention that Acapulco's fell into a specific VIN range? The back side of all three sections of my dash panel is painted blue on the back and there are holes in the fenders for running boards.

Hobie16, As you can see from the VW Thing Registry list on our website, the VIN's were not specific to a block of VIN's for the Acapulco's. I agree with Ron and Lee that they were made over a certain time period and VIN range, I was just saying others Things were made during that time also.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

According to the parts manual, the last Acapulco Model ended with 184 2818 496. So if your vin number is after that, if may not be an Acapulco model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Goodman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
According to the parts manual, the last Acapulco Model ended with 184 2818 496. So if your vin number is after that, if may not be an Acapulco model.

I have 194-2818 972, so I agree if its after the 184 2818 VIN numbers it is not an actual Acapulco. Interesting others estimated dates of production for Acapulco's were dates between May-July or August, but the 194-2818 972 is December.
www.Facebook.com/vwthingregistry
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
desertvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Acapulco Database Reply with quote

The VIN is 1842817169, am I understanding correctly that this would be within the range?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: