Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

411 rear brake parts
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: 411 rear brake parts Reply with quote

hey all,

looking for a variety of rear brake parts for my 1972 411... springs, adjusting screws, adjusting nut, anchor block.

any ideas where I can locate these? or what else might fit?

thanks in advance!
loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 rear brake parts Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
hey all,

looking for a variety of rear brake parts for my 1972 411... springs, adjusting screws, adjusting nut, anchor block.

any ideas where I can locate these? or what else might fit?

thanks in advance!
loren

All of the rear brake parts except for the outer bearing cover and the stub axle are type 3 parts. You can buy a few items like shoes and hold down pins at Rockauto.

Check the classifieds under both type 3 and 4. Let me know id you do not find what you need. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lofoxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 rear brake parts Reply with quote

Didn't see this message come through. As always, thanks for the help Ray - there was someone locally with the parts. Still need a master cyl but I'll check classifieds:)

Almost there.
Loren
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 411 rear brake parts Reply with quote

lofoxx wrote:
Didn't see this message come through. As always, thanks for the help Ray - there was someone locally with the parts. Still need a master cyl but I'll check classifieds:)

Almost there.
Loren

About master cylinders....keep this information in mind......and read the final posts in the end of this thread today

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=668756

Master cylinders are not common for these cars. For one they are totally out or production and have been since about 1988. That means no new castings hage been made since 1988.

There were not many to start with. They fit no other car.

That being said.....there are a few NOS master cylinders that show up.

However......NOS are a very high risk. To start with....if its NOS.....the youngest it will be is about 28 years ild.
The risk ranges from ahout 50% do not operate right out of the box. The cups are too old.....to they operate for a while....months or weeks....and then they fail.

But.....if yours is in good enough shape.....you can rebuild it by buying a rebuild kit for a type 1 or type 3.....and using ONLY the new seals and brass flap valves.
You can get away with between $8 and $30. Its worthwhile to tear yours down, inspect, clean and lap the cylinder.

Show us pictures and we can help. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: