Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger Reply with quote

Did a search and didn't see this posted here anywhere. I'm sure the Kustom Coach Weeks folks have the work documented on their site. I remember seeing a few of these still in operation by Lin Ottinger back in the day...I always figured he had just used em up!

http://www.moabtimes.com/view/full_story/27194217/...eft_column
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

Incredible for me to hear of the fate of the Moab buses. I was lucky enough (or cursed enough : ) to see them myself back in the late 90s returning from the east coast and completing my enlistment in the Marine Corps. I passed through Moab on my old BMW from 30 days of terminal leave I'd built up, and remember them well. I remember going on a horseback ride while I was there too. The buses, though, they remained in my mind for years and years -even recently wondering where they may have gone. Comrades would say this or that about them, but I never did know. So good to hear the old man has kept them, and that John Jones was so properly privileged to bring us the story. Twenty years wondering about the buses, thank you for the article.
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

Yes. the whole refurbishing of one bus is on the KCW site. There are some links to some interesting stories about Lin as well. Quite a few pictures from the past as well. Nice way to waste a few hours.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

While on vacation with my wife and passing through Moab about 6 or 7 years ago, we dropped into the Rock shop (wife is a jewelery artist and was looking for cool stones for use in jewelery), saw a photo in a news clipping hanging on the wall of one of the Tour Deluxes on top of an natural arch and put two and two together. Back then I was writing the monthly "Transporter Talk" column at the time for Hot VWs and later that day got to visit with Lin's son who gave me the tour of the warehouse and all of those Buses in storage. I heard many, many tales and stories that day of their adventures (and mis-adventures), and ended up writing a three-part story with photos about the history of his Canyonland Tours operation in my column. Can't recall what year issues it was in, but there were some great stories in those columns from Lin and his son. It was just a fluke that I stumbled into the right place at the right time and got to check it all out! Cool characters those two!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

Cool story Bullibill. Here is a link to KCW thread.

http://www.kustomcoachwerks.com/forums//viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8571
MicBergsma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

So awesome!
Instagram > http://bit.ly/2gHjIOV
Facebook > http://bit.ly/2Q9atMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

I'm sure it was a big deal locally to see this bus show up at Moab's big car show in April. Kudos to Mr. Ottinger for keeping them intact and not parting them out.

Thanks for the link to the KCW build thread. I purposefully avoided looking for it when I posted this because as you pointed out, it takes some time commitment!
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

It was such a cool trip! A few of us cruised down to meet the KCW crew and caravaned from GJ to Moab to deliver the bus. Lots of fun sitting around the fire and listening to stories about the tours. Here is Lin driving away after checking the bus out. It was really cool for JJ to set it up and let us be a part of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

Love the tires on that bus.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

Mr Ottinger made the BBC today

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170310-the-dinosaur-hunter-of-moab

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus Reply with quote

Is that snorkel the air intake? If so, good idea for all the dusty conditions he would constantly be driving.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger Reply with quote

another story

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2..._August_27
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blitzkrieg59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger Reply with quote

I wrote the Hagerty piece. Hope you cats dig it. It was a ton of fun to work on. Lin is probably the most interesting guy I've ever met. I had to leave out so much interesting stuff about him to meet my 5000 word cut-off. Would love to do a piece on him as a pioneer of the American West in the 20th century for a history-oriented publication.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger Reply with quote

blitzkrieg59 wrote:
I wrote the Hagerty piece. Hope you cats dig it. It was a ton of fun to work on. Lin is probably the most interesting guy I've ever met. I had to leave out so much interesting stuff about him to meet my 5000 word cut-off. Would love to do a piece on him as a pioneer of the American West in the 20th century for a history-oriented publication.

outstanding job.

epic - I hope one day i can make that trip thru the canyons.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger Reply with quote

I passed by the Rock Shop in 1992 on our honeymoon. We went to the Four Corners and explored Anasazi cliff dwellings both on and off the map. I remember passing by the shop with one of the Buses parked out front. We were on too tight of a time line though. We also stopped briefly at Tom Tom's VW Museum in Moab.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dschup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Moab Tour Bus - Lin Ottinger Reply with quote

Very cool article, thanks for writing and sharing!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: