Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are you welcomed at VW shows?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

This question is more for the 914 owners, but I'm also curious about responses from the other air cooled Porsche owners.

Do you hang out with the VW crowd? How well do you fit in? Can you enter your 914s in the typical VW Show and Shine event, or are you told there is no place for you? Would most VW shows accept you if you entered?

Just curious,

Steve
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

Very Happy Get yourself a 914 and find out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

Should be some interesting responses. Not having been to shows in about 18 years...just no time.....I dont have much firsthand to add. The responses may vary greatly. But I will give you my 2 cents.

Part of the issues will be...that most VW bus owners...do not really know that the Porsche 914 and late bay bus...share engine platforms.

In fact...many Porsche owners do not actually realize that fact. Too many 914 owners think their engine is made with some special "Porsche" made parts. Outside of the heads and piston diameter on the 2.0 914....and a few pieces of unique tin....there is not one part that is not VW in the 914 engines.

Few of either group actually realize that the bus AND 914 both got their engine platform from the VW 411 and 412. In fact...in the 1.7L and 1.8L engines....they are identical down to the very last part # and all engine specifications....to what came in a VW 411 and 412 before the 914 was built (again..save for unique engine tin).

I know...even though now its better for VW 411 and 412 at shows....20 years ago....there was virtually no welcome at all for type 4 cars. Even those who administered the show....would lump them in the type 3 category....and could not be convinced they were NOT type 3....even though they are not even made by the same company...technically. They were produced by NSU...newly a part of VW in 1969.

I think the 914's will get a decent welcome....as people KNOW what they are more now. ....but may not have a show category of their own.

And there will always be a few people who dislike them because of the Porsche badge....and that is usually because its a reflection of the treatment given to VW people by a few snobby Porsche owners in the past.

One could also reverse this question....and ask how welcome VW owners with a 356 kit car...but otherwise sporting a full blown type 4 engine that is 914...in essence...but puts stock 914 to shame...are welcome on this forum?
Since it split to its own forum due to requests from "Porsche" owners....a while back...which I perceive as a bit of snobbism right there....I would say they are not welcome here and you may see a little bit of that blowback at a VW show. Just some thoughts. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

I have only shown my 914 in Porsche shows especially since technically its all Porsche since VW sold out its interests to Porsche in 1974. Yes, the 914 2.0L engines were made right on the VW engine line on a certain day. They would make a 1000 assembled 914 engines and then the line would make bus engines etc.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
origowner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

914's will be welcomed at San Diego Air Cooled's Fiesta, May 21, at Southwestern College. San Diego Air Cooled is a diverse club that has a diversity of cars. There will be 300 cars make onel of them your 914.

I put a Europeon (Porsche VW 914 emblem) on the rear on my car to help educate that 914's were sold as VW's in Europe.

I usually take my 68 type 1 VW to shows as it is in more of a show condition. When I took my 914 to the Classic a couple of years ago it was well recieved.

A few years ago Porsche people tended to exclaim 914's were not real Porsches.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

One of the bigger VW shows in the UK, Stanford Hall, a couple of years ago.
Pretty much anything welcome and admired!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

I always enjoy seeing the 914's at any show I attend. I wish I saw more of them, they are rare in my area:

As far as I know, these cars have been welcomed at every show that I have attended:
This beauty was at a VW show in Joliette, Quebec:

I wish I still had my 914 (pic taken in the early '80s):

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

I've got 1302 and 1303. My wife drives a 914. She is welcome at all we do. As would any 914.
It is funny though bout the perception that people have of Porsche 914 being made of super special Porschemetalstuff. Folk presume that she's got more power than I do, but, I've got 50% more power in my 1303 than she does in the 914. I'm working on a new motor for her 914 that may even that out a bit, but then I'm putting plans together for T4 upright conversion for the 1302vert that should be even more fun.
Time will tell.
Bottom line: aircooled is aircooled is all good.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

I put a 356 S90 in my 78 SB Convert. and that car screeeemed had full power from 3500 to 8000 and would just purr at idol. No one complained it wasn't VW and not welcome in fact they were amazed at the fit. The reason a smaller "Real Porsche" will out run a larger VW is it's a HEMI with rectangle exhaust + a stock 1600 Porsche is a stroker 74 with smaller pistons 82.5 mm which allows for the fast high revs (less rotating mass). Think about it next time you build a VW don't put big pistons with a stroker if you want fast high revs.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

A 914 IS a VW

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A 914 IS a VW

It's a Porsche body and front end with VW running gears.
Westy Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

Well, the actual gears are inside a 5-speed Porsche 901 transmission...same as the 911s from the same era. It's definitely a hybrid.
fadler1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

The story is Porsche and Peich got drunk and were pissed off at Enzo Ferarri about his mid engine so got together and pieced together a 914 with parts from both factories. It was always a VW in Germany and a Porsche in the U.S.

As far as being welcome at VW shows, most Air Cooled VW clubs here in CA with all my air cooled. They welcome anything air cooled including my 356 and my Corvair pick up.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

The few shows I have gone to welcomed them, though most observers were not very knowledgeable about their origins and badging in Europe vs. USA. These were non-judging shows, so there was no issue categorizing them. They were simply admired.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

bus coupe' is only required words
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Are you welcomed at VW shows? Reply with quote

914s are welcome at Transporterfest/VW Day in Brookline, MA. The museum that hosts the show brought out this beauty for us in 2012.

It drew quite a crowd of VW fans when it rumbled out on to the lawn.

The show is every Columbus Day weekend Sunday (Oct. 8th, 2017).

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: