Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake issues
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Brake issues Reply with quote

Entirely brand new braking system in my rail.
Cnc 3/4 bore master cylinder
10lb residual pressure valve
All new steel hard lines
All new braided flex lines
Proportion valve to rear
Cnc cutter brake
All 4 brand new german wheel cylinders.
All 4 drums adjusted properly,stops great if the pedal is there.
Have tried every method of bleeding (manual,pressure,vaccum,even gravity,bench bled master cyl.)pedal pumps up hard,but if it sits more than a couple seconds it goes right to the floor,3-5 pumps it's back solid, can just stand on it for as long as you want,doesn't drop a bit. As soon as you let off it,and hit it again,right back to the floor.
No leaks anywhere,have cracked every connection loose looking for maybe a cracked flare or SOMETHING that explains wtf is the problem.
Does anyone have any idea what is wrong,I'm at my wits end, absolutely fed up with the thing. Been fighting with it for 2 weeks,haven't gotten anywhere other than growing a bitter hatred towards it at this point.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake issues Reply with quote

Classic symptom ....bad mastsr cylinder seals.

Was this MC by any chance sitting around on a shelf for long periods of time? What is happening is that the seals are stiff and have shrunk a bit. You pump them up and hold pedal pressure and they are inflated and seal
Let off for an instant and they retract and the pedal drops.....no pressure.

Common problem with high shelf life MC's.....and NOS cylinders over about 5 years old.....which are all junk. Occasionally it can be crap in the compensation port valves....but thats rare. It can also happen rarely when the cylinder has been honed ro large. You should never hone brake MCs anyway. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues Reply with quote

I've been leaning towards the fact I just got a bad Master, it wasn't in stock at my local supplier,but I guess that doesn't mean it didn't sit on the shelf at cnc for years.
It's a brand new one,never rebuilt. I won't install used brake parts.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues Reply with quote

Possible the brake shoes aren't adjusted tight enough. Tighten all 8 shoes for a good bit of drag and see what happens.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues Reply with quote

Even tight against the drums it does it. Going to try a different M/C,see if it makes a difference.
Thank you guys by the way...
Toyotafan78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues Reply with quote

Got me some brakes finally!! Not only bad master,3/4" bore that the local buggy shop sold me was not pushing enough volume for the application. Picked up a 1" bore wilwood master for a whopping $53,got good solid brakes now. I am super stoked!!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake issues Reply with quote

Toyotafan78 wrote:
Got me some brakes finally!! Not only bad master,3/4" bore that the local buggy shop sold me was not pushing enough volume for the application. Picked up a 1" bore wilwood master for a whopping $53,got good solid brakes now. I am super stoked!!

Just so you know.....a 19mm (3/4") master cylinder has no problem at all volume wise pushing four wheel cylinders.....unless it was some kind of insanely short stroke cylinder.

1"....while not a problem is not necessary whatsoever. The real problem was just that the 3/4" cylinder was screwed up internally. Either too long on the shelf, rust in the bore....or stock valves or plugged compensating ports.

One thing that should be done with ALL master cylinders ...especially brand new.....is strip and clean them out,with denatured alcohol. You would be stunned at the crap that comes out of them. They are not built in clean rooms. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: