Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 WestyRabbit Restoration
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

This is my 82 Diesel Vanagon. I purchased this in the late 1980s with just over 100,000 miles. Predictably (with me in my 20s) the diesel engine did not hold up very well. At which point I installed an 87 Gulf GTI engine with Bosch CIS fuel injection. Then I eloped in the van, and I proceeded to drive it for another 150,000 miles. I have taken it out of several years of storage, and now it is time for a restoration/fix-up of the van. So far, I've taken out the entire undercarriage, sanded the entire bottom of the van, and painted with both Chassis Saver and Monstaliner. I am in the process of installing new polyurethane bushings from T3Technique, and putting the bottom of the van back together. I will try to post more pictures as I move forward. I will do my best to keep this thread up to date. This is the first build log I have ever done. Lt. Blue Vanagon

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Nice mileage on that diesel to gas swap. 150K miles ont that 1.8? Great stuff. Nice back story too. Youre a commited Vanagon owner!

Are, were you, running a single outlet "toilet bowl" exhaust on that 1.8 for all those miles?

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Yes I am running the toilet bowl exsust. I'm thinking of of changing to a fox manifold as I am building a new exsust but I have three toilet bowl manifolds and no fox manifolds. I will see how it goes. I'm thinking of putting a aba engine in but what I have runs pretty good and I have a spare.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

still running the stock diesel gearing?
though if you are that's not bad gearing for the ups & downs of New Englands back roads. esp with a 85hp gas engine that likes to rev..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I have a aircooled transmission in it now. The gearing is just a little to tall so I run smaller diameter tires to make up for it. I have the diesel gear box and a 5 speed. I think I'm going to mix and match part to build a transmission with the right gearing. It's pretty flat most of the places I drive in southern New England. I have a lot of parts to sandblast and put together before I worry about freshening up the engine and transmission.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Hello we are making forward progress. Sandblasted and painted all the front end parts and pressed in new ball joints. Now all the parts are ready to be re-installed in the vehicle. Also sandblasted and painted engine carrier bars and mounting brackets. Once this is completed, it will be time to make new brake lines. VW Logo

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I put most of the front suspension back together today. Now I'm waiting for brake parts and brake lines. I was unable to get the top sway bar links pressed on, so I will have to do those on another day. I worked on getting set up to put new metal brake lines in, but so far I have not been able to find a source to buy new ends for the metal lines. I am waiting for new backing plates to be able to put the front brakes together. Over all it was still a good day. VW Logo Brown Vanagon

tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

nice work!
get rid of those bouncy KYb's and put something that will stop the nose dive-Rancho,Koni...
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I saw the title and thought someone had bought and was restoring the Westy that a buddy of mine and I grafted the upper half of a rabbit onto the roof of the van. Complete with rear hatch outer sun deck. Oh the 80s!
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Not much visible progress this weekend. I insulated behind the radiator. I also replaced most of the metal brake lines. Then I sent my radiator out to be flush and tested ( all metal radiator ). Next I Replaced the front sift rod in preparation for a five speed transmission. Now I'm waiting for some front brake parts so I can finish the front brakes.
VW Logo VW Logo
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Nice work!
Oh to have a lift!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

It is a parking solution. I didn't have enough lot line to build two car garage. So I went up instead. That's the van's permanent parking spot. The wife's Miata fits nicely under it when the van is not so far apart.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Finished installing all new brake lines, new stainless steel front to back radiator hoses, and new front shift rod and bushings. I had the radiator re-built, and I reinstalled the radiator. I started reinstalling the engine mount brackets. The next thing to do is to re-seal some of the seams on the lower part of the body
so that I can put monstaliner on the lower section of the van. Blue Bus

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Today I used A wire brush on a drill to clean out the lower seams. When I finished with the wire brush, I cleaned up the rest of the seams with a sandblaster. Than I scuffed down the paint and primed with self etching primer. I ran out of time before I could apply the seam sealer. Hopefully I can get the seam sealed some evening this week.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

the blue on under carriage is a really cool colour.

Nice to see the progress. I noticed the rad rebuild. Speaking of cooling......

Van-cafe.com has stock of Tiico coolant pumps with the "proper" cone shaped impeller. I never searched to any great length on this but most FLAPS, and even my local VW guy, only offer up the paddle wheel impeller type pump. Just a thought.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

That's good to know. I have not yet figured out what I am going to do to freshen up the engine and transaxle yet. Hopefully I will get the monstaliner on the lower section this weekend and then I will start to think about the engine.thanks
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I pulled the front carpets out today anticipating cleaning them up and getting them ready for painting, but they look so good I only did the left side front.

I was also quite pleased when I looked in the front battery boxes.

I finished the seam sealing and prep work, so that I could put monstaliner on the lower section of the van.

Now I have lots of stuff that I can put back together. The rear suspension is ready to be reinstalled with new bushings. I have to figure out what extra wires I want to run to the front of the van so I can reinstall the gas tank. Blue Bus VW Logo
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

After painting and monstalining the front floors I was able to Dynamat Them.

I used more dynamat than gowesty recommends. But a lot less than some other people use. I reinstalled the front carpets with the original cork flooring under it.

The carpets look pretty good for a vehicle with over 250,000 miles on it. I will probity lizard skin the back inside of the van when I get that far. But right now my priority is to start working on getting the engine and transmission reinstalled so I can start driving the van this summer. VW Logo Blue Bus
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

I finished installing the rear suspension with new bushings and spring pads. re-packed the rear bearings, installed new seals, installed new backing plates and all new rear brake parts. I'm waiting to make it to a friend's house so I can press the new rear wheel studs. Then I can install the new rear brake drums. Then I can start thinking about the engine and transmission.
Blue Bus VW Logo

westspeleo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 82 WestyRabbit Restoration Reply with quote

Thanks for logging your progress! I'm currently working on my rearend and now I'm sitting here looking at your pictures to see how mine SHOULD look Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: