Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Classified search
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Classified search Reply with quote

I just typed "ported" in the ad search, restricting to title only, and I also get all the ads with the word "port", which means I get about 5 billion non-relevant ads Laughing

it wasn't like that not long ago, did the search just change?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

Yes, I recently changed it so it would find any "plurals" automatically.
Example: If you search on door it will pull up ads with doors too.

Apparently it thinks ported is a variation of port

You can override this by selecting the "exact phrase" selection from the search type box.
This assumes you are searching only on ported, otherwise there may be an issue if you are using more than 1 word for the exact match as it will try to find the exact phrase instead.

If you have any other examples of things that no longer work as expected, feel free to post.

For anyone:
If anyone else finds any issues, let me know.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

did the classified search break? Popcorn
oddengineer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

that's what im wondering too im getting it in both the classifieds and the forums section
bbrowncods
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

Search not working "General Error".
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up - it is fixed now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

Just wondering what kind of database you are using on the backend to search. If you have something such as SQL Server you could map the search term into a regular expression. This would also allow the flexibility to search for wildcards anywhere in the text. You would probably want to limit these types of searches to indexed fields.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

It's mySQL but the search indexing is a separate indexing program that is more efficient.

Quote:
you could map the search term into a regular expression. This would also allow the flexibility to search for wildcards anywhere in the text

No, this is too intensive with the tables in use here, searches would take forever and the site would crash. It used to work this way years ago when the database was small, until it became an issue.

Indexing:
The classifieds text could be indexed with a FULL TEXT type field and was in the past but the separate program that is in use now is more efficient.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Classified search Reply with quote

The searching is very fast. I have been pleased with it.

I can see you are very technical. I suppose you have to be running your own site.

There are other ways but I suppose you have to balance your resources. More people should buy premium memberships!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: