Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

putting the bus back together, some inital head questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

refreshing this CA case motor i got a few years ago, running with decent compression. ran it with a progressive for awhile till the progressive stuck open, so i got my original PDSITs rebuilt and am now mounting those, giving it new seals and running it. tearing into it, i noticed a couple things. one of the heads has some some marks, probably where somebody pried the manifold off with a screwdriver. how bad are these? luckily they're at the outside edges.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

also, i was delighted to find what i can only assume is a head temp sensor port drilled on the 1-2 side. or is that not what this is...?

also, i have tried to find some source for manifold to head gaskets for awhile, and i think i even posted here asking about them but never found any. am i just going to have to cut them out of gasket stock?
foxmon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
also, i was delighted to find what i can only assume is a head temp sensor port drilled on the 1-2 side. or is that not what this is...?

For FI Temperature Sensor II on the 3-4 side
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

those are EGR ports, they get blocked with crimped old exhaust gas port stems, or threaded valve adjust screws.
The gaskets for the intake, the best would probably be from CB Performance.
The true temp sender for FI threads off to the side of #3 cylinder, and you can see the threads from the outside.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

This is the early TSII sensor location, if you use it you should probably add the extension that moves the sensor further from the head. It is also a PITA to access the TSII sensor in this position and you need the correct hole in the tin and the grommet for the hole. I would not recommend using it for those reasons.

This drilling would be for the later TSII location. The same location was used for the air injection on 73-74 models, in that case the hole would be deep and go through into the exhaust port. The easiest location to service the TSII sensor is on the #4 cylinder. You can see what you are doing and reach it much more easily than when using the hole next to the #3 cylinder.

Are these 1800cc AMC heads?

Your dings are of no consequence but maybe run a flat file over them to be sure nothing is sticking up above the mating surface.

chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

thanks for the info on the TSII port. i haven't verified whether these are AMC heads yet but it does have an 1800 fan shroud. i probably have the tin to use this location (i have a mountain of tin) but access is a valid concern.

bad news last night. got the oil cleaned off the top to find this. guess that's what that "G" stamped next to the engine code is all about and i'll be building another motor sooner rather than later.

williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked I've got one of those-- it's in blue bus right now almost brand new- If I'd known, I'd never have bought the bus- but now - after changing out the lifters- (ya they failed before the motor got dirt on it) and the cali hacked exhaust, It's starting to run better.- I'm still going for a replacement on a pallet ready to ship before any extended trip- Any one had success with GEX???

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

It looks like it has been a long time sense GEX touched that engine,may have been a good one,or someone may have worked on it after GEX got done with it.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

yeah, i'll get whatever i can out of it. i'm not proud.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: putting the bus back together, some inital head questions Reply with quote

chachi wrote:
yeah, i'll get whatever i can out of it. i'm not proud.

X2- For the $ I paid for it- it's gotta run 30,000 or I'm going to feel real bad.

Any way with new exhaust and lifters it actually sound like some one else built it--even with the miss matched push rods.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: