Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater ideas for cold weather sleeping
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSpice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Hello~ I am searching for a portable heater or temporary unit to heat the van while sleeping~ I have a "buddy" heater but i don't want to sleep with it on, i don't want a propex unit because I need the storage space and only plan to be in cold weather for 1 month so the investment doesen't make sense. I am imagining something I can stick somewhere on the floor and run a tube up and out of the skylight for fumes/vent. maybe around the 200$ price range ideally. anyone know of anything? Thanks
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

dog/woman/children... may cost more or less than $200
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Dont cheap out too much, carbon monoxide will put you too sleep for ever. In fact with any auxilary combustion heater for the van a loud CO alarm should be installed.

You might find a good deal on a second hand gasoline heater near your price., they work very nice. toasty warm, good safety record. was an original option on the vans, many other aftermarket models can also be adapted. no need to add a propane tank, just cut the gas hose an add a Tee fitting, and the heater is fueled.

What is a buddy heater? Singificant Other???

Link to samba gas heaters for sale.....

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
frogman_94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Just get one of these. Best sleeping bag ever.

http://www.wiggys.com/sleeping-bags/ultima-thule-mummy-style-sleeping-bag/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

I have 12V electric blankets. They don't provide much heat, but they do take the chill off the sheets and blankets. I run them from a Sears porta-charger and the blankets have twenty minute timers. A Mr Buddy will warm the cabin, but they produce a lot of moisture. A large warm high calorie meal before bedtime will keep you warm. The inside of the camper is insulated with reflectix and I used that on the inside of the poptop also.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Get a proper vented propane or vehicle fueled heater, the proper cold weather sleeping gear, or stay home.
There is no safe alternative without electricity.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Boil water, put them into large Nalgene bottles, snuggle up. The larger the bottle, the longer they will last. Make sure the lid is tight or you will be much worse off.
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Completely stupid idea but:

Buy this. It's 74500BTU!! The Propex HS2000 is 6500 BTU...

https://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L10-Portable-Outdo...s=eccotemp

Install it outside run two insulated pipe to a radiator inside the van using a small inline pump. You could use the rear heater core. Obviously the rear heater would need to be disconnected from the engine.

Plus at the end of the day you have a shower system, if it doesn't work...

If you die, I'm not responsible....
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Wood fired water heating coil outside witj another inside, 12v fan to move air off of it?

Plumb in a wood stove?

Start a short term relationship?

Gas heater?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
I have 12V electric blankets.

Now I know why I keep thinking I need more 12v outlets, upper and lower…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Being in Hawaii/Calif, you worry about staying warm at night? Just snuggle up with your way better half along with the 3 cats and 2 dogs.

Seriously, maybe due to where we live or campout at, we never worry too much about staying warm. Our body heat and good sleeping bags have kept us very warm.

Craig
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Being in Hawaii/Calif, you worry about staying warm at night?

He might be road tripping to colder locations?

For the $200 budget I would go heavy on sleeping bag or blankets and a wool hat, assuming you're not talking about temps below 30, below 30 gets to be a hassle as anything water based freezes and becomes a notable inconvenience.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Been considering this for a while to deal with single digit temperatures at Mt Bachelor during Winter, about to pull the trigger on a 1Hp Honda Portable Generator and space heater. I have the Propex, but it's best for taking the chill off and not running all night.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
I have the Propex, but it's best for taking the chill off and not running all night.

Why not? That is what it's designed for, heating 24/7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Leipo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Boil water, put them into large Nalgene bottles, snuggle up. The larger the bottle, the longer they will last. Make sure the lid is tight or you will be much worse off.
-d

+1

throw this in your sleeping bag and you will be a happy camper Very Happy
I always put the Nalgene bottle in a sock to prevent getting too hot
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Dont cheap out too much, carbon monoxide will put you too sleep for ever. In fact with any auxilary combustion heater for the van a loud CO alarm should be installed.

You might find a good deal on a second hand gasoline heater near your price., they work very nice. toasty warm, good safety record. was an original option on the vans, many other aftermarket models can also be adapted. no need to add a propane tank, just cut the gas hose an add a Tee fitting, and the heater is fueled.

good luck

Are these heaters safe to run while the van is parked? I thought I had read somewhere that they can only be used safely while the vehicle is moving.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

VWinVT wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:

good luck

Are these heaters safe to run while the van is parked? I thought I had read somewhere that they can only be used safely while the vehicle is moving.

Safe enough for my family, kept us warm in Alaska. of course you should have a CO alarm, we didnt have them 40 years ago in Alaska, but now days they are available cheap.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

Syncronoid wrote:
Been considering this for a while to deal with single digit temperatures at Mt Bachelor during Winter, about to pull the trigger on a 1Hp Honda Portable Generator and space heater. I have the Propex, but it's best for taking the chill off and not running all night.

Problem with the generator is if your near other campers, the noise is horrible from the generators, really bad for the tent campers, and even noisey for the car campers near by. Id be inclined to dissable anyones generator in a campsite running past quiet hours. some folks like a good night sleep, have a big hike the next early morning, generators are not appreciated. running a generator late at night with other campers around is extremely disrespectful, rude. now if your all alone, with no one else in hearing, then that is a viable option for all night heat.

a generator is not good idea if you have others campers around., Even during the noisey hours (before 9 pm often) they are still rude if one is running for more than a few minutes.

so consider location and timing before use, many camp grounds do have limits on when they can be ran, and right fully so, and even within allowed hours they can be very irritating to others.

a gasoline or propane furnace does not have this limitation, nor restriction. and will be less likely to have you awakened by fellow campers pounding on your van to get you to be quiet.

good luck, stay warm

newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

With your $200 ish budget you are limited to a really nice sleeping bag system and a couple nagalene bottles for the boiling water trick.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: heater ideas for cold weather sleeping Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Syncronoid wrote:
I have the Propex, but it's best for taking the chill off and not running all night.

Why not? That is what it's designed for, heating 24/7.

I'm concerned the fan will drain the battery too much. Those Honda generators will run up to 8hrs on a single gallon of gas.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: