Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3800 build
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dub C Hitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: 3800 build Reply with quote

Going to try and update this as I go, and hopefully seek advice as I do it from those with experience on this set up. Going to be a long slow road. Enjoy!

Project:38 special
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
r

Dub C Hitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

I guess a good starting point is where do I get the engine adapter? Does it have to come directly from KEP or are there vendors that offer them? Gm 3800 (01 Monte carlo) to 091. Thwn I can at least work on my motor mounts.

Also I'm trying to find some headers, the style that go straight up and straight back if possible. Thanks for any help!Smile
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

You might want to search through the past few pages of the off road forum, seems like someone is switching from a GM V6 back to VW, maybe they would offload the adapter?

my build page: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662104&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

just get KEP.

I almost went with that engine in mine, theyre plentiful. but it has too much power for average trannies. the supercharged version.

you'll find doing a project like this most everything you need will be one off.

have fun!
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

what are the chances you'd get two people from grand rapids answering your question at the same time! lol
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
what are the chances you'd get two people from grand rapids answering your question at the same time! lol

nice!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pullstart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

Here you go. You don't mention where you are from, but this guy mentions the Lansing swap meet a few times which Google says is in MI.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=667352&highlight=v6

Maybe he could hook you up with the adapter?

ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

i believe the buggy builder show is this coming weekend
Dub C Hitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

pullstart wrote:
ORANGECRUSHer wrote:

nice!

Lmao I'm an hour north of gr
Dub C Hitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
i believe the buggy builder show is this coming weekend

Yes this Sunday I believe. I want to go, but not sure I'll have time.
Dub C Hitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
just get KEP.

I almost went with that engine in mine, theyre plentiful. but it has too much power for average trannies. the supercharged version.

have fun!
awesome! N/A for me. I'm checking with zzperformance on and ecu/wire harness since they're local and specialize in 38pp
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
just get KEP.

have fun!

Love that engine. When I was dating my now wife, she had a very rare 91 Beretta GTZ with the factory installed Supercharged 3800. That thing would out 60 ft my 406 hp 86 TA. Only after she was broadsided at 50 mph and insurance gave her $10,000 for the car in 1999 did we learn how limited the production was...only a handful were made for use in a movie.

Good luck with the build.
_Redline_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

I'm the guy who switched from the gm back to the vw. My adapter plate is long gone, I traded it off for a motor. It wouldn't have worked on that motor that you have anyhow, if it would have I would have used it myself. Do some reading on the 3800 motors there is a big difference between the 60 deg motors and the 90 deg motors and most importantly don't forget to re-work the oil pan so you don't end up with a boat anchor like I had.
Dub C Hitts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 3800 build Reply with quote

Thanks all for the responses! I'll check for used ones, but if not I've contacted kep and will update once I move forward. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: