Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

Has anyone ever tried to replace the socket head bolt(s) from one of the spindle nuts? Turns out the bolts are M7-1.0 and about 18mm long. Trying to find an M7 bolt is nearly impossible. I did eventually find them from McMaster-Carr, but they were $4.69 per bolt (I got the 20mm long bolts). The spindle nut can be purchased new with a bolt, but they are $9-$12. Sheesh.

H2OSB
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WHAT THE HECK?! Reply with quote

I was at Olander, the local bolt supplier waiting for them to put my order together,
and a College age kid walked in carrying a basket of bolts.
His plan was very simple, Make my bike lighter by replacing steel bolts with titanium bolts.
Little did he know that his $40 budget was not going to get the job done,
but he did manage to get a few bolts swapped over.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/356B-60-63-/S...18059.html
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Has anyone ever tried to replace the socket head bolt(s) from one of the spindle nuts? Turns out the bolts are M7-1.0 and about 18mm long. Trying to find an M7 bolt is nearly impossible. I did eventually find them from McMaster-Carr, but they were $4.69 per bolt (I got the 20mm long bolts). The spindle nut can be purchased new with a bolt, but they are $9-$12. Sheesh.

H2OSB

Why would you need to replace just the locking bolt?

And, I agree that $4.69 is outrageous. Somebody in China is making way too much money. Evil or Very Mad
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
H2OSB wrote:

H2OSB

And, I agree that $4.69 is outrageous. Somebody in China is making way too much money. Evil or Very Mad

Not really. They are class 12.9 bolts....and you are also paying the service charge for a company that keeps about 3,000,000 million products in stock...and ready to ship and individually bagged and generally get to most people in the US in about 2 days.

I have seen country of origin from Mcmaster Carr...mostly Taiwan and US. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
iowegian wrote:
H2OSB wrote:

H2OSB

Not really. They are class 12.9 bolts....and you are also paying the service charge for a company that keeps about 3,000,000 million products in stock...and ready to ship and individually bagged and generally get to most people in the US in about 2 days.

Sorry------my sarcasm switch musta been turned off. Embarassed
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:
iowegian wrote:
H2OSB wrote:

H2OSB

Sorry------my sarcasm switch musta been turned off. Embarassed

No problem!....and they sell some Chinese stuff too!.... Laughing

The really sad thing is when you find a part that IS made in USA......and its crap. I have found issues with made in USA bolts and tools.
In most cases the metal is excellent....but the workmanship is crappy.

Almost as bad as finding Chinese parts....with beautiful machine work and tolerances....made of the worst metal around! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

I've bought 12.9 socket head bolts made by DORMAN from my local specialty hardware dealer, Eugene Fastener a lot cheaper than that.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
I've bought 12.9 socket head bolts made by DORMAN from my local specialty hardware dealer, Eugene Fastener a lot cheaper than that.

Ah but are the bolts from Dorman M7? Every place I went to locally had 12.9 socket head bolts, but only one place had any kind of M7, and it was a non-graded hex head.
My reason for replacing just the bolts is I converted my son's Super Beetle front suspension to the later style and for whatever reason of my 4 spare spindle nuts only one had a bolt.

H2OSB

Last edited by H2OSB on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

I used them to replace my Type 3 ball joint bolts, but I don't know about M7. Eugene Fastener will take you back in their warehouse to see/measure what they have in stock & special order what you need/want out of their catalogs.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

I just bought new ones from SACO.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

Well, heh, in hindsight, I might simply have replaced the spindle nuts, but it became a mission, and I bought replacement bolts just to prove (to myself) I could get them. My son's car is almost done, and getting replacement bolts would have been ideal.

It wasn't until I got home I realized what a pain in the ass it had become.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/356B-60-63-/S...18059.html

OMG, I just now finally clicked on this link. Good source, thank you

H2OSB
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

In reality....these bolts do not have ro be any better than class 8.8. Its just a pinch lock ro prevent rotation.....its not like the bolt has any more load when the car is driving....but since in the life of the car its likely to get used a bit here and there and maybe torqued without a torque wrench a few times while doing a side of the road repair......its nice to have higher quality bolts.

By the way the torque on this bolt is only 7.0 to 9.0 ft. .lb (1.0 to 1.3 mkg).

A comment on Dorman products. In my experience....some of them are really high quality. Dorman has been and probably still is an OEM supplier for numerous products. However over the past five years....I have seen more than a few Dorman products that have had sketchy workmanship. Just keep an eye out on what you get. Ray
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

Because ham handed do-it-yourself money saving geniuses (in VW and Porsche) LOVE to over tighten EVERYTHING. You can not believe the butchery I have seen on this poor part, including rounded out Allen bores (often from using inch wrenches on M7, but not exclusively), collapsed/stretched nuts that no longer have a gap at the split, making further adequate tightening impossible, bolts stretched so far that they have inconsistent thread pitch, and bolts bent so far out of shape that they couldn't be turned more than 1/4 turn before binding up when trying to loosen Rolling Eyes
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What the Heck?! Spindle nut socket head bolts Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:

Because ham handed do-it-yourself money saving geniuses (in VW and Porsche) LOVE to over tighten EVERYTHING. You can not believe the butchery I have seen on this poor part, including rounded out Allen bores (often from using inch wrenches on M7, but not exclusively), collapsed/stretched nuts that no longer have a gap at the split, making further adequate tightening impossible, bolts stretched so far that they have inconsistent thread pitch, and bolts bent so far out of shape that they couldn't be turned more than 1/4 turn before binding up when trying to loosen Rolling Eyes

Yes...I agree. I have a whole bag of these. I used to collect them from the junkyards and wrecks Istripped.....primarily because if you ever need to locate a left hand one in a pinch.... Laughing ....and....the factory ones compared to brazilian crap are just beautifully made.....and if you ever had to source one at an actual dealer back in the day.....they were NOT cheap.

I found the same things on too many cars I have bought or worked on.....these pinch clamps were just beaten to death.

But to start with....make sure the threads are not packed with grease before you start...or you will over torque them. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: