Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing/Neutralizing interior rust
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

This is a duplicate of a post in the late model Bug forum. I haven't gotten much response there, so I thought that I'd ask here.

I've been working to remove carpet glue.

https://youtu.be/o-W5Hvhyyag

After I'm finished with the glue removal, I'm planning to:

1) Use Jasco prep and primer on the floors and back space to treat the rust.
2) After that dries, water wash the treated area (wet rag wipe-down)
3) After that dries, acetone wipe down.
4) Silver POR-15 the floors and back.

Good idea? Any comments?

I'm also concerned about putting POR-15 on the drivers side floor. There seems to be a brake-line on the floor. I don't really want to remove it, but I don't know if putting POR-15 over it, essentially gluing it to the floor is good to do.
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

I did half the car floor in Por-15. Two coats. I'm modifying the plan slightly, and will be using Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer over the non-rusted parts of the interior, as well as the part of the floor that has the brake line tubing.

I'm not doing this to be cheap. It's my understanding that where the POR-15 goes, you can't get it off without a torch or a grinder, and I don't want to do something that can't be undone, so I'm going to be selective as to where the POR goes.

I'm open to other opinions.

P.S. The Jasco stuff works great. However, I bought it on clearance, and had a hard time finding it. Are they phasing it out?
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

Were you able to get all the paint off (especially in the rear tray)? I'm wondering because that area looked rusty. There could be rust under the paint that was left on the metal.

I've seen the Jasco at my local Home Depot.

I used two coats of POR 15 on my pans, on top and underneath. On the bottom, I used Top Coat to give it UV protection.
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
Were you able to get all the paint off (especially in the rear tray)? I'm wondering because that area looked rusty. There could be rust under the paint that was left on the metal.

I've seen the Jasco at my local Home Depot.

I used two coats of POR 15 on my pans, on top and underneath. On the bottom, I used Top Coat to give it UV protection.

No I wasn't. I took a wire wheel to it, and where there was rust, the wire wheel took the original paint off pretty easily. Otherwise, not so much.

I finished putting the silver POR down yesterday. I'm not sure if I'll put a topcoat on, as it will be covered with insulation and carpeting. I'll do the underneath probably in a month or so.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

I personally feel that Por-15 is over priced and overrated. Once you remove and neutralize the rust, you could use many other products to prime and paint it at half the cost and would be just as good.

I've seen Por-15 come off in sheets, despite being applied per instructions.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

I hope mine holds up. Only time will tell...
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I personally feel that Por-15 is over priced and overrated. Once you remove and neutralize the rust, you could use many other products to prime and paint it at half the cost and would be just as good.

I've seen Por-15 come off in sheets, despite being applied per instructions.

Good to note. What's your preferred method?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing/Neutralizing interior rust Reply with quote

Phosphoric acid on wire wheeled rust/bare metal but do not wash or scrub all the phosphoric acid off! Then www.masterseriesct.com silver and/or black with a brush on pans/chassis/suspension/inner fenders etc but not on exterior panels.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: