Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First Car Driven
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad's brand new 1958 Chevy Nomad wagon 283 auto back in 1958.
Dad taught me to drive in it I was so proud I told him I'd wash and wax it every month and did for a year then I bought my first car in 1959.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hank
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driving school's fiat punto mk2. crappy car with almost no clutch left and power steering disengaging itself at random while driving.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
graysky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First car driven: Mom's 1969 Buick Skylark. I used to drive it around the block until one day a neighbor kid surprise attacked me with a water balloon and I wrapped the car around a tree. I was 13.

First car owned: 1963 Plymouth Valiant. Dad won it in a poker game and gave it to me when I got my license. Push button transmission, bench seats front and back... Wish I had kept it.

First car bought: 1976 Datsun B210. Sold the Valiant since I thought the B210 would be way cooler.. I was wrong.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First car driven: brothers 1989 k5 blazer on off road trails.
First car in the street: 1971 bmw 2002... The beginning of the German obsession.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

early 70's mazda wagon.in japan,oh so awasome for drifting around the entire island.
Volktales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

Dad's '69 Chevy CST/10 pickup. Used to let me drive out in the bush to get firewood. Dad drove it for 25 years. It has been mine for 21 now and am still driving it!
1964 Ghia, ongoing project 2007-
1962 Beetle Beryl,original paint survivor 2012-
1970 Savannah Beige Beetle 2012-
1992 16v GTI, 100% stock 2006-
1991 "Terseo", wife's old daily 1995-
1969 Chevrolet CST/10 (family owned since new)
1965 Gold Corvair Monza 2021-
1966 and 1965 Monza 2022-
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

My Dad's '65 Impala. He was a purist and a simple fellow-the car was a four door, black paint, black interior-No AC, no power steering, no power brakes, 6 cylinder. But it had a push button AM radio and a rear defroster (a factor installed FAN on the rear deck. It was a beast to park (I took my road test in it).
It did encourage me to buy my first car-a '61 Ford Falcon (with a tube radio!).
My next car?
A '66 bug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

My Mom's 72 Pontiac Catalina, my Sister let me drive around my Grandmother's circle driveway.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orygonian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

A Triumph TR3A 1960. Dad bought it for me when I was 13, it was a wreck but I got it running and drove it down the road a ways. Never finished it but a buddy I work with today has one and let me drive it. At 6'2 I barely fit into it. Cool car.
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

first car I ever drove by myself was a 1977 Buick Regal in '79, I was 9 years old... Shortly after I drove my dad's '74 Ford Courier with a 4 speed manual same year...

took to stick shift fairly easy as I had already been riding dirtbikes often at this age..
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

First car driven, my Folks '72 Vega, 3 speed 4 banger, we beat the crap out of that thing....
1st car I bought, 1969 Dodge Charger, 383 auto, $500 in 1977.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Gary Haberman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

My Dad's 1965 BLACK Chevy Impala-no AC, no power windows, brakes, steering or seats-AM push button radio. A bitch to park and I took my road test in it-a sweat box on a hot day. My Dad didn't believe in modern conveniences.

Guess that's why I drive a '62 bug. I miss my Dad.
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

73 Dodge Dart.Slant 6.Brown with white vinyl top,4 door.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
thevinster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

The very first car i drove was a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle. I bought it in the 80s for fifty dollars. The rust was so bad but i just accepted it because i was 17 and had no job. The car didn't have a motor so i would collect spare parts from my friends until i had all of the pieces to make a complete motor. All of the parts were anhilated. I had to use sandpaper to get the rust off the flywheel and i JB welded the crack in the block i got. The motor barely ran. But it worked and i had never driven a real car before so i just kinda assumed it was meant to smoke like a Cuban cigar and break all the time. I couldn't afford to do any sort of work on the brakes so i just used the emergency brake. One day the motor threw a rod. I was able to scrounge up parts to fix most of it but the rod had shot out of the side of the block leaving a giant hole. No amount of jb weld and ductape could fix this. So i went into the kitchen and took one of my moms cooking pots and hung it below the engine with coat hangers so that all of the oil the engine would puke would fall into there. And whenever i parked i would pour the oil back into the engine. And whenever i needed oil chirco performance would give me used oil for free! One day i was driving over some train tracks and the bump was so hard it made my seat fall through the floor! I grabbed some plywood from a construction site nearby and placed it under the seat to support it so i could lump the car home. On i was home i tore the seat out and put 2 by 4s over the hole and nailed a lawn chair to the wood. I drove around like that for a few days until my dad saw the original seat in the corner of the garage and decided to investigate. He took one look at that whole thing and lost his mind. We hauled it on a trailer and it went to the dump. After that i bought another bug that i actually worked really hard on and it ended up in VW trends. It was green with white flames with dual carbs! I still drive my 56 every day
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

First 'in Dad's lap' drive was his '61 Pontiac Bonneville convertible.

First car I drove at 15 was a friend's '70-ish full sized Plymouth. I asked him if I could drive it. He asked me if I could drive, and I said yes (never having actually driven before).

Keeping in mind the sensitivity of Chrysler controls, and the fact that I knew nothing about it, I got in, put it in gear and stomped the gas. The car took off like a shot and my friend shouted to stop. So I stomped on the brake pedal, and we almost went through the dashboard (who wore seat belts?) He told to get out and that was that.

First cars I drove legally were my driver's ed '71 Plymouth Valiant, my parents' '73 Chevy Malibu wagon and a '68 Ford Torino GT. I took my road test in the Malibu.

First stick I drove was my Dad's '71 Beetle.

My first own car was a '71 Toyota Corolla with a 4-speed, manual steering, brakes, windows, and choke (love a manual choke).
syncrodemaya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: First Car Driven Reply with quote

First car driven: My parent's 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlas Cruiser SL wagon with wooden side paneling. What a boat.

First car driven with license: 1981 VW Caddy diesel pickup truck

First car owned: 1983 Audi Coupe, it was a beater with a cloud of smoke, went through a litre of oil each week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: