Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My clothes washer broke, and I'm too cheep to get new, so I drove about 20 miles for a used unit. Flossie turned over to 276,000 mi just as we got home with this used washer Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me to and back from a Day Out With Thomas (the tank engine Thomas...) yesterday to do some volunteer work for our upcoming national model railroad convention.

Man, I just love seeing the look on the young kids faces when they see the operating Thomas railroad! Lots of happy, screaming kids... lots of tired, screaming kids too.

Only 94 miles roundtrip to the Florida Railroad Museum in Parish, but beautiful weather and I just love driving my van.

Mark
savannagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Sat out in the cold! Would have put her inside the garage but I have to air the tires down to 10psi to make her fit through the door.

Mark Lewalski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van took me and my son on its longest trip to date: 241 miles one way from home to Tallahassee on Friday and then back on Sunday.

Drove like a champ @60mph.

Yay van!

Mark
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Atta boy, boys! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
^^^ Atta boy, boys! Cool

- Dave

How's the snow and salt up there? You almost ready to get yours out for spring yet? I'll be up to see you ASAP Wink My sweetheart has many fond memories of the north shore from her days at college up in D. We plan to get up there soon and camp our way up to Grand Portage. Hope to drop by on the way!

-bobby
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Still snow in the yard & salt on the roads, but we broke 50 degrees today!
I've got CV boots & a few other small projects to get to before taking it out,
but it shouldn't take long once I can free up some weekend time... Rolling Eyes Wink

Definitely PM when you get your plan together! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Windex_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van decided to ruin a trip to my favorite Thai restaurant by blowing a coolant hose and losing coolant like it had severed an artery.

(Dramatic description ahead)
I saw the puff of smoke when it happened; I drove for about another 15 seconds to pull off into a parking lot to try to figure out what happened. Well, it didn't take long to figure out. With a spiking temperature gauge I looked back and saw the precious life blood of my van, very similar to that which Predator would bleed, spewing out of the back at an alarming rate. By the time I drove another 75ft into a spot I turned the key off, the gurgling sound turned into a hiss and a two foot puddle of coolant was all that remained. Both coolant tanks were bone dry, and I towed the van home.

Today I had The Booger towed to my mechanic who found a nearly 1.5 inch long hole had blown out the side of the hose coming straight off the cylinder head.

Today, my van was a backpack.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^^^ Looks like it is time to replace the coolant hoses if they are originals. You can do a lot of this yourself though a couple are a PITA to get to.

BTW, how old are the fuel lines?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Windex_
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
^^^^^ Looks like it is time to replace the coolant hoses if they are originals. You can do a lot of this yourself though a couple are a PITA to get to.

BTW, how old are the fuel lines?

I bought the van last April and the history on it before that is a bit hazy. It had a rebuilt engine and trans when I got it. I already started looking into replacing all the hoses and getting the GoWesty stainless pipes. It was a horrible feeling that I don't want to experience again. The hose was pretty bloated, I do plan on visually inspecting them when the rain stops.

I plan to redo the fuel lines soon since them going would call for a more dramatic story I don't feel like writing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chainsaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Sound the trumpets! Took my van on her (for us) maiden voyage, over 300 miles driven, 40+ of which was gravel road, some of which was really nasty blown out baby head bolder stuff. She chugged along like nothin. My rear main seal fix is still holding!! Aaaaaand I can wait to get a propex cause it was COLD!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Frida took me and my son back to his university, 80 miles away. First real test of the new ECU and I was blown away. Lots more power to climb grades and pass other cars and trucks. Smoother everywhere and I never wanted an extra gear more than I did today. I'd love to do 70+ without the revs at 4000+. I did find my speed creeping over 70 a few times and had to pull back. The temp gauge stayed right where it always does, as if it was pinned. I'll check the mpg tomorrow and see how it was, if it's better or worse than the 22 highway mpg I got with the old ECU. I'm betting it's as good or better.

Edit: it's not. Without the still not-connected O2 sensor, it was 16 mpg. Yuck.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie was kind enough to haul me and my paperwork to the accountant for Tax review and submission. I was glad to be able to slide that packet under his door, as I didn't want to face him yet. I dislike doing taxes, and I dislike having to get an accountant to look everything over and co-sign. But, it was helpful to at least do it in style.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me up to Deception Pass so I could see what kind of mpg I could expect after refitting the O2 sensor:

192.3 miles @ 9.07 = 21.2 — much better than 16 I saw pre-O2 sensor refit and confirmation that the O2 sensor is working.

But…if I take off 20 miles of intown driving I did before I got the sensor installed and guesstimate that it took a gallon and a half to cover it (the 16mpg was highway miles):
172.3 miles @ 7.5 = 22.97.

Not bad at all: better than what I was seeing before the new ECU.

I recommend the ECU upgrade for Tiico conversions, as it makes a big difference in the experience. Better performance, less pollution, better fuel economy: no downside that I can see.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanadom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Slept in my van with the girlfriend for the first night after driving up 8% grade road for 15km's and a total of 50km's from home.

Van did good on my first short trip with it.

The bed is pretty comfy but I definitely will get a bed topper.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie took me to the Minnesota Metro Yesterday, from IA up to Wyoming MN, 180 miles in 180 minutes. First half is 2 lane roads and small towns, slowest speed limit of 30, two laner. Fastest speed limit of 70 mph on the freeway, 1 stop sign and 1 stop light. Had breakfast with family up there, and then bought the final piece of my Rims puzzle: the spare!

This AM, she got me back down to IA to work ON TIME (actually, early enough for me to tune my guitar before 8 Wink I always like to start the day with a tuned instrument even thought I am a systems admin)

Good trip! Had put 20W50 in to see if the buzzer at 2300 rpm would be less pesky, had that in and on the road by 6AM yesterday. Did help, except for a noticeable difference in hill climbing: the 6% grade I use for tests going that direction lost 3 more MPH than usual.

Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

This AM, she got me back down to IA to work ON TIME (actually, early enough for me to tune my guitar before 8 Wink I always like to start the day with a tuned instrument even thought I am a systems admin)

Your updates are always entertaining and informative. Wish I could bring a guitbox to the workplace…

And I see you're also missing a center cap on one of your alloys…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:

Your updates are always entertaining and informative. Wish I could bring a guitbox to the workplace…

I DO get some perks at the office... But I keep the Guitar playing before 8 or after 5, and then its usually just to tune it up and do one short song before anyone else comes in. I like to get ready for the day like that. The rest of the people here like it that they don't have to unlock the doors.

Ya, Im not for certain on the rims I have on the rig now, as they came with it in October of '15 when I got her. The PO said they were Jetta rims. It's both fronts actually that are missing the caps. All four corners had to get new stud/lugs to accommodate the install, so I am now pressed to keeping original hardware under the bench seat in case of flat and needing to use the original size steel rim'd spare. That would be very bad if it were a rear... I'd just have to move a front to the rear and put spare on the front anyway in that case. I could lighten the load to only needing to carry hardware for the front that way.

Amyway, Im looking towards new rubber to go on all 5 of the C230/240 rims I have now, and to sell the set of 4 (rims and tires) I have to pay for the new tires. Mine are the legendary 195/75/14 BFG AT KOs with build date 31'st week of 2015. Less than 4K on them for sure. More likely closer to 3K. I'll never use the BFG's for anything close to what they are meant for anyway.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

All four corners had to get new stud/lugs to accommodate the install, so I am now pressed to keeping original hardware under the bench seat in case of flat and needing to use the original size steel rim'd spare. That would be very bad if it were a rear... I'd just have to move a front to the rear and put spare on the front anyway in that case. I could lighten the load to only needing to carry hardware for the front that way.

I have my spare on a stock 14" steelie and 16" CLKs on the ground. I keep five lug nuts and five lug bolts in a Ziploc bag tucked into the spare in the tray so I'll be ready for a flat on either end. Much less trouble to have the proper bolts than to try saving a little weight and worry about having to move wheels from one corner to another in case of a flat. That's crazy, but knock yourself out.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

All four corners had to get new stud/lugs to accommodate the install, so I am now pressed to keeping original hardware under the bench seat in case of flat and needing to use the original size steel rim'd spare. That would be very bad if it were a rear... I'd just have to move a front to the rear and put spare on the front anyway in that case. I could lighten the load to only needing to carry hardware for the front that way.

I have my spare on a stock 14" steelie and 16" CLKs on the ground. I keep five stock (large ball seat) lug nuts and five stock lug bolts in a Ziploc bag tucked into the spare in the tray so I'll be ready for a flat on either end. Much less trouble to have the proper fasteners than to try saving a little weight and worry about having to move wheels from one corner to another in case of a flat. That's crazy, but knock yourself out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 89

Jump to: