Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Case specs
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Case specs Reply with quote

I have reach a point to where I need to start doing something of my own machine Work on the heads and cases at the shop where I work
I am looking for info on bore spacing and head stud spacing for making jigs to use on heads and cases After long searches for drawings and specs with all the info on it I must send out this request. Thanks for the help.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

Do not know the accuracy. I collect stuff as I run across it.
Somwhere I have the bore centers, but I fint see it right now.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

If you measure the parts you will find they are even MM sizes, except for cam bearing bore, it's something and and a half.
I have not written it down, as it's simple. Bore space is.....112mm, easy to remember because nearly same as chevy 350!

Crank center to cylinder seating surface is 99.75-100mm
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

Thanks. I was going to send Modok a private message.
I have measured and there seams to be some"float" in some of the cases difference
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

Vw never did publish sizes for some things, so we have to estimate.
We should put it all in one place, someday.
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

While your on line Modok, any boring guides you like for heads and cylinders. Seems to be a few out there some are$$$$
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

And the case? The jigging and mounting on the mill should be mainly parallels and clamps.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

no idea. It seems logical idea, for instance to bore an engine to match a torque plate, but I've never done it that way, except a few times when a guy brought a torque plate and asked it to be done.
In most cases I measure before hand, and as I am indicating it in, move it the way it needs to go.
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

And type or brand of fly cutter?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Case specs Reply with quote

I don't know who makes what.
Local VW shop has cutters setup for the case, such that it bores all three steps at once, and if i was going to buy a special tool that's what I'd look for.

For cutting heads if you have time to burn, a "expanding facing head" is good to face heads, as you can cut chatter free on just about anything.
I do WBX heads for the local shop because trying to cut that whole surface at once it's too much. They have a LOT of surface.

I'd bolt the case together to bore and face for the cylinders, by standing it on it's cylinders, or making shorter cylinder-like pieces to stand it on. makes sense to me.
Others do it one half at a time, and that's probably fine too, but not sure why.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: