Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Damage estimate on vintage car
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The closer mechanism has the old front bow pieces stuck to it, otherwise it works well. I do need a new bolt for the other side of the handle. Apart from that I need the support bracket bar thingy for the rear bow. Anything else I need? I have never even used a ragtop before, but I really want one!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

bugandxbandme wrote:

So . . . the bad news is that that piece is very rusty!
The good news is that if you decide to repair it, the repair work will be completely covered with your headliner!

I can tell you that that front header is an early one . . . maybe 1957. It will work fine for what you want to do.

You will need a "roller kit" . . . easy to find.

You will want to get straps . . . like these . . .

Also . . . take a look at this thread . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
You might be missing those two metal "strips" that fit at the rear . . . one fits under the attaching nuts for the rear bow . . . the other one gets fitted with the headliner clips.

BEWARE . . . be very careful when dissembling those ragtop parts . . . rusty screws snap off quite easily!
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

@57blitz...
Thank you very much! That is all helpful information. So I need two metal strips? I have the roller kit already. Yeah, I know the header piece is pretty crappy. I haven't checked yet to see whether anyone sells the straps. I'm not totally sure I can take those pieces apart to connect them. Hmmmm...
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

I am certainly willing to advise ya all I can with regards to the ragtop parts and grafting, but please consider starting a dedicated thread on the topic . . . that way, other folks, in the future, might benefit from the discussion, okay?
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

Sure! Thanks. I was just thinking of doing that:)
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

bugandxbandme wrote:
. . . I know the header piece is pretty crappy.

I wanted to mention . . . from what I see in your photo . . . That piece looks like it is NOT too far gone to save . . . and not too difficult to do so!
It will absolutely be worth your while to fix it! Smile
bugandxbandme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Damage estimate on vintage car Reply with quote

That makes me feel a lot better!SmileSmile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: