Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

erb is making a gas measuring stick repro what do you think
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: erb is making a gas measuring stick repro what do you think Reply with quote

Hi,
After looking for years trying to find an original gas measuring stick ruler for an oval and spilt bug. I decided to get the measurements and make these two different versions of the original gas ruler for myself and other folks. I have made these two up and i will be making a limited run of 10 of each.
There modelled after the original style ones
any questions

I am selling them here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2035632

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2035627

Last edited by vwuguy on Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Honestly?
They look like garbage.

Price:
They are 3x the price of the last repros I saw and cost the same or more than a real original!

Do you have a one there to view in person? Get it properly repro'd by a place that does printing on wood. You can probably get some made for like $5-$10 each and sell them for around $30 and make a bunch of money.

You have searched for years? There was just one for sale last week and about 10 in the past year alone.

Here is some data on the site:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=306202

Here's another repro:
http://retrocustom.com/mainportal/index.php?option...;Itemid=19
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Does this mean my original in now worth $500. Very Happy Shame on you

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
favguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

I assume this is a joke just for fun?! Razz

Anyone who buys your naff stick for $95 needs to see a shrink... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinion. I suppose you could buy a paint stick for $10.. It took about 4 hours to make one of these so no i am not going to work for 4 hours for $30. Also the original one i just had for sale sold for $150 the price seems fair . in my opinion. The is is not a joke, these are like the originals. If someone wanted to show me how to make one exactly like the original that be fair.
For a piece of art it looks pretty good and serves its original purpose to give you a gas stick like original for your oval.
Jonnyla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Have you "dipped it" into any fuel yet? Its hard to tell but they look to have a finish on them as well and seem to be made from a Luan type plywood.
When dipped repeatedly the finish will dissolve and over time the glues that hold the "plywood" together will soften and the stick, and I do mean STICK, will de-laminate.

You said you wouldn't work for $30 for four hours. I think Everett was intending that if you had them made for a cheap cost(by someone else) and sold them for $30 in quantity you would make more, it would average out to more than $30/hr once you sold enough.

Take a random shift knob for example. One could put some material on a lathe and shape a factory looking knob in about 30 min. Then sell it for a few bucks or like Wolfsburg West or other suppliers you have someone"mass produce" them and sell them for a few buck in quantity and have a legit business.

You also stated its not bad for a piece of art. If it was art you were creating then you wouldn't be so worried about the four hours and only $30. Artist do it for the love, hence the term "Starving Artists"

Seriously go for it though, don't let us all deter you. All good products have an evolution that they go through before the final one hits the shelves. This is just one needed step for you to get there.

Good luck man!
lhwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Those look like ASS. I think I will go to the paint store and pick up some large paint sticks for FREE. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sorry to get down on you, but what you're asking for those is quite ridiculous.

Peace out
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

$95 for a stick that looks like it was made by a 5 year old in arts and crafts class?!

It doesn't matter that you have 4 hours into it, does that LOOK like 4 hours worth of work to you? For that amount of time, it should be an exact replica!

When you held that against your original one that you sold for $150, did it look identical to it? No, it didn't, not even close! Almost none of your lines are level, the writing is all cockeyed and amateur looking, etc.

You wanted opinions.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind

Last edited by Keith on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

vwuguy wrote:
the original one i just had for sale sold for $150 the price seems fair . in my opinion. The is is not a joke, these are like the originals. If someone wanted to show me how to make one exactly like the original that be fair.

What you made does not look like an original to me.
If you had an original you should have copied it exactly.

Can you post photos of the original you owned?
I don't see an ad from you on the site for an original.
Edit: I see you are one of those people that "blanks" out your ads before you delete them so there is no ad history. You should not do this. In my experience people who do that are hiding the description of what they were selling from buyers because things are misrepresented.

Check out the thread I posted above for what originals look like - there is even enough information to reproduce the old "block" ones that dealers made in the past.
From that thread
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

isn't this the same guy making bad westy interior stuff?

57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

WOW! Tough crowd! Serve ya all right to run out of gas today! Razz
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
WOW! Tough crowd! Serve ya all right to run out of gas today! Razz

Yes, I debated on whether to post as I couldn't say anything nice but he asked for feedback and I figured I could give him some info that is already on the site if he wants to do them for real.

Gas: I can switch to reserve Smile
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

I have a limited run on my newest fuel sticks available. They take 6 hours to hand make. Get them for the low low price of $80 + tax + shipping + handling + license + duty tax + insurance + paypal fee.

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

It looks to me as though the pics in the ad were just bad i posted new pics. i think you should recheck the add i took better pics,
The fuel sticks lines are measured out correctly, numbers are stamped in , fuel lines are also set into the wood,
It is stained, and cleared

each fuel stick is cut individually on a table saw to be the same width and hieght.

thanks for your feedback

srm1956 lmao..thanks. I think paint sticks are too short ..

does anyone have an original wood one for pics
I just reduced the price to $65 including shipping on each,
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Ah......
Looks like something I tryd to make in woodshop jr.hi. man that thing is sorry, and mine for a mere 65.bucks. Sorry but you put it out there so it is open to criticism.

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
vwuguy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

its ok any ideas were to get a similar template for the letters of the ruler like the original? I deleted the ads thanks for your feedback..
if i am going to make this i suppose i'll do a better job thanks erb
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Click on the links Everett provided...they have several pictures of original versions.

Heck, Google, "VW fuel Stick"...plenty of pics for you.

You said you had an original...do you not have pics of it?

I guess I don't understand the purpose of this anyway...of course my 54 has a huge filler neck, so it's pretty easy to see how much fuel I have
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

No ads cuirent so I guess they sold out. My fuel gauge is my ear. I bump the front fender with my hip and listen to the slosh of fuel in the tank. I can get to within 1 to 2 gallons on accuracy and I can sure as heck tell when I'm near empty. I will admit it's kinda fun when I pull up to the station pump, pull out the stick for others to see.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Does anybody make a fuel stick for 56-60 Bugs? Aluminum and etched would be great, but one of the blue wooden ones would be okay..I don't want liters, I want United States Gallons... I've been halfway looking for a decent one for a little while, but nothing was well made, or affordable..

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Bob Loblaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: erb is making a gas measuring stick repo what do you think Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
nothing was well made, or affordable..

But..... what about erb?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: