Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My best friends Square Back
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: My best friends Square Back Reply with quote

In the small Ohio town I grew up in,everyone had Bugs,Bajas,rails,ect...My best friend and I had them as well.He was killed in the early 80s by a drunk driver.To this day,when I get in my car and smell Bug,I think of him.Anyhow,at one point his car was the most ragged out Square Back I ever saw.The FI went bad ruining the engine,so we took an upright and put it in.The fan shroud stuck up in the rear of the car.The roar from the fan was loud as shit,but we loved it.He had a huge speaker box in the back seat with one 12 inch speaker in it.We listened to AC/DC on 8 track thru a Pyramid EQ.Sounded like shit but god was it loud.Had to be with the fan right behind it.I have many memories from that car,but 2 stick out.One...There was a set of railroad tracks outside of town,going downhill they levelled out and dropped off steeply.Nearly every morning on our way to school,if no one was coming up the hill,he would go wide open in 3rd,cross into the oncoming lane because it was steepest there,and jump off of those tracks.I don't know how high the car would go,but if you were not holding your books,they would float out of your lap!Young and dumb,but what a thrill.The second was when he got stopped for inspection in the Square Back...Carv was so rotted you could see the road from inside.If it was raining,you shoes and pants would get filthy.The rear bumper was hanging on one side with coat hanger wire.Cop goes to the rear to look under the car as it had no muffler and was loud as shit.Braces himself on the bumper,which proceeds to fall off,sending him to the ground landing on his shoulder...He went fucking ballistic!Had the car towed from right there and had the registration revoked as it was so unsafe.It amazes me how many of my memories are tied to VWs.Very cool to have a place to tell some of these stories.There are many more....
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mg6770
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: My best friends Square Back Reply with quote

That's a great story. I've had friends who had passed while young and I remember always talking about how we would fix our cars up. They were into American metal, I had a bug. I'm sure just like you, when that certain remembrance comes along, it brings a bitter sweet smile. What a great way to remember your buddy.
Phil 4:13
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: My best friends Square Back Reply with quote

mg6770 wrote:
That's a great story. I've had friends who had passed while young and I remember always talking about how we would fix our cars up. They were into American metal, I had a bug. I'm sure just like you, when that certain remembrance comes along, it brings a bitter sweet smile. What a great way to remember your buddy.
Thanks Dude.
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My best friends Square Back Reply with quote

My Best Friend's Square Back
Wasn't that a song by The Cars? Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: