Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit Reply with quote

This question is for those of you who have the GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit installed on your Westy. If you have the kit installed in the forward position for more lift, how difficult is it to lower the top if you do not have extra weight on top? I often carry a canoe that weighs about 75 lbs, but not always. GoWesty sells extra brackets that can be mounted in the standard position and they told me I should move the struts between the two depending on the load. That seems like a big hassle (and expense) to me if I can make do just using the struts in the forward position.

Rich
Westy-Life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this guys out. I have a pair and love them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=798951

Dave
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think many here are going to have the GoWesty kit (at least not yet).

You could call them and ask. Make sure you report back with your answer.
wallanoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great that folks throw the "check this guys out" advise but why stray from the original inquiry. I would really like feed back on the GoWesty kit. I know that the other works well but why not explore other options. I to haul around a bunch of gear and would like to consider my options.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

I posted a related question a couple weeks ago

here are the answers

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408926&highlight=gowesty

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Zero419
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westy-Life wrote:
Check this guys out. I have a pair and love them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=798951

Dave

+1
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you. Great information! That's what's so great about Samba. I really wasn't anxious to drill all those holes in my sheetmetal, and maybe have to buy 2 of the GoWesty kits for at least $129.95 each(they are on sale right now, reg. price is $149.95) plus the tool for mounting, plus shipping.

I like the design of Jackbombay's kit and think I'll go with it, ordering both the regular and the heavy duty struts. I have faith that the fiberglass is strong enough seeing how many years I've been hauling all kinds of canoes and kayaks on it. Maybe that bolt sticking out can be reversed so that only the head is showing and painted to match the top.

Rich
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have not already drilled for racks, here is a pop top shock mounted to share the mounting hole for the rack gutter

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have racks on 2 westies, neither has any problems with the hole cracking the fiberglass, I think thats an academic consideration, not real world.. besides, theres a steel plate on both sides of the fiberglass, spreading the load, its not just a rack resting on a bolt hole.. just do it, racks rock when youve got pop top shocks <g>
jonsonneborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
if you have not already drilled for racks, here is a pop top shock mounted to share the mounting hole for the rack gutter

<g>

Hey Jon_Slider, Do you have more info on this mounting point on the back of the artificial raingutter mount? I am installing the GW lift assist kit now & have 3 sets of the Thule artificial raingutters on my top now. I'd love to not have to drill additional holes in the top if there is a good solition to tie into the back of the thule plate. Thx!
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant speak for the GW kit or Jon_Slider, but from my experience installing the JB lift kit and Yakima widebody artificial rain gutters...

Jon Sliders picture doesnt give me enough information to tell if forward of the van is to the left or to the right in the picture. I would ASSUME the van is forward to the LEFT, meaning the reuse of that stainless bolt (looks like a 2 bolt ARG) is the aft most bolt of the ARG. The advantage to this is that the forward bolts wont interfere with the shock when top is lowered.

My experience w/ my rack set up, is minimize how many bolts will fall within the arc of the strut. Each bolt that falls WITHIN the arc of the strut is at risk of coming in contact w/ the strut and binding.

to get a better idea of what i am describing look at the second to last post on page 3 of this topic (PDXWesty), it shows a taped up mock up:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

from PDX's post you can see the location of all the bolts will pass by the strut when lowered, meaning potential for impact. Now if the ARG was installed such that the back left bottom bolt shared the same as the strut then all the bolts would miss the shock. Make sense?

Hope that helps.

jonsonneborn wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

<g>

Hey Jon_Slider, Do you have more info on this mounting point on the back of the artificial raingutter mount? I am installing the GW lift assist kit now & have 3 sets of the Thule artificial raingutters on my top now. I'd love to not have to drill additional holes in the top if there is a good solition to tie into the back of the thule plate. Thx!

dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonsonneborn wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:

<g>

Since your raingutters are already installed you'd have to win the lottery for the existing bolt hole to be exactly where it needs to be to install the shock. Those that arrange this install the raingutter at the same time as the shock system AFAIK. But maybe you'll get lucky.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jonsonneborn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=]Since your raingutters are already installed you'd have to win the lottery for the existing bolt hole to be exactly where it needs to be to install the shock. Those that arrange this install the raingutter at the same time as the shock system AFAIK. But maybe you'll get lucky.[/quote]

That’s a good point. Ido imagine there is a tiny bit of wiggle roof for the upper ball location. If it doesn't match the hole location but falls somewhere along the backing plate for the artificial rain gutter than my though is to drill a hole in thr backing plate & tap it to screw in a ball. This seems even better because it'd be distributing the pressure along the entire clamped piece vs. Just on the hole (maybe)?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit Reply with quote

there are literally hundreds (if not more) of poptop assist struts w/o any backing other than the large washer provided.
it's really a non-issue...
though sure a little thought is nice when drilling holes into a top..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonsonneborn wrote:
[quote=]Since your raingutters are already installed you'd have to win the lottery for the existing bolt hole to be exactly where it needs to be to install the shock. Those that arrange this install the raingutter at the same time as the shock system AFAIK. But maybe you'll get lucky.

That’s a good point. Ido imagine there is a tiny bit of wiggle roof for the upper ball location. If it doesn't match the hole location but falls somewhere along the backing plate for the artificial rain gutter than my though is to drill a hole in thr backing plate & tap it to screw in a ball. This seems even better because it'd be distributing the pressure along the entire clamped piece vs. Just on the hole (maybe)?[/quote]

I don't know if the backing plate or the ball stud would hold up well to having the ball stud just screwed only the depth of the backing plate. I could see it bending out. If it were mine I'd drill all the way thru the pop top. BTDT....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh, reading comprehension fail....I missed that the ARG's were already installed...ignore my post
dobryan wrote:
Since your raingutters are already installed you'd have to win the lottery for the existing bolt hole to be exactly where it needs to be to install the shock. Those that arrange this install the raingutter at the same time as the shock system AFAIK. But maybe you'll get lucky.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:

Jon Sliders picture doesnt give me enough information to tell if forward of the van is to the left or to the right in the picture. I would ASSUME the van is forward to the LEFT, meaning the reuse of that stainless bolt (looks like a 2 bolt ARG) is the aft most bolt of the ARG. The advantage to this is that the forward bolts wont interfere with the shock when top is lowered.

Ideally the ARG's should be mounted further back than forward, the further back they are the shorter the distance the additional weight on the roof will need to be raised when popping the top, and with the racks further back the amount of energy needed to pop the top will vary less when the racks are loaded vs unloaded.

Cutting the bolts can be difficult depending on what tools are available, but cutting the ARG bolts so they don't protrude past the nut inside the pop top has always, as far as I know, eliminated interference between the strut and the bolts.

With the ever increasing roof loads that wesites are carrying nowadays keeping the weight farther back is important, I have a link in my sig for DIY ARG's that use the rear hinge mounting hardware to mount to which gets weight as far back as possible and minimizes the need for additional holes in the pop top.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
This question is for those of you who have the GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit installed on your Westy. If you have the kit installed in the forward position for more lift, how difficult is it to lower the top if you do not have extra weight on top? I often carry a canoe that weighs about 75 lbs, but not always. GoWesty sells extra brackets that can be mounted in the standard position and they told me I should move the struts between the two depending on the load. That seems like a big hassle (and expense) to me if I can make do just using the struts in the forward position.

Rich

Rich, I have that kit and am quite satisfied with it. We have a Yakima rocket box on top along with a kayak now and then. When the box is full I have to give the top a little extra push but not much and when lowering, not a problem.

Andy
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit Reply with quote

Does anyone know an alternate source for the GoWesty lift assist struts? They are currently sold out. One of mine is dead (no resistance to compression) and they are sold out. The part number is GSEL-1022-2050-090 and is 44.5 inches ball center to ball center fully extended. I’ve tried some of the online gas strut retailers and they sell 44 inch struts, not 44.5. Not interested in drilling more holes in my van!

Cheers
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit Reply with quote

I wonder if, when the top is fully open, is the cylinder fully extended?

I would guess it isn't?

A little extra travel probably remains in the unit, upward top motion is stopped by the canvas itself and the lifting arms.

Measure ball to ball with the top open.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: GoWesty Poptop Lift Assist Kit Reply with quote

Viva.Sabata wrote:
Does anyone know an alternate source for the GoWesty lift assist struts? They are currently sold out. One of mine is dead (no resistance to compression) and they are sold out. The part number is GSEL-1022-2050-090 and is 44.5 inches ball center to ball center fully extended. I’ve tried some of the online gas strut retailers and they sell 44 inch struts, not 44.5. Not interested in drilling more holes in my van!

Cheers

You mean, like this? https://www.busdepot.com/pts1
Or here? https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Poptop-s/2885.htm
https://poptopshocks.blogspot.com/
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: