Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetle_Juice73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: 1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have a 1973 super Beetle, the engine recently caught fire and I need to rewire however I'm in need of some knowledge as to the color code and where each wire goes im utterly confused by the small medium and large black wires along with where the other ones go if anyone​can word out, or has a understandable picture, or any info I would appreciate it truly, i apologise for this thread if has been mentioned before however I found nothing on here so far that could truly help in my situation I have a picture here if anyone can guide me through where each one goes I'm simply a noob and just entered the vdub scene lol I swapped to 1835 just fine but once she caught fire all the wires became completely unknowable to me
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation Reply with quote

Pretty nice wiring diagrams here on samba. Top of the page the blue header hit technical and it brings up wiring
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation Reply with quote

Read this first:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/U...l_2003.pdf
Looks to me like there should be power coming from fuse 11 to Auto Stick shift.
Looks like Fuse 12 is power for coil with ignition on.
Looks to me like big ass Black wire is to Starter Solinoid(Power only when key switched to "START"
Test to see if true, If so you now know what you got.
Use a meter, be careful, I could be wrong
Then:

Diagrams:

Additional for Auto Stick Shift: (Pull Fuse 11 one of your unknown black wires may go dead)

Key “what the Numbers mean”

Fuses:

Big as black goes to starter, I think?(Check for power only when Key in "Start" Position)

Rest go like this:

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation Reply with quote

Don't assume splicing in replacement sections on the burnt parts will fix the issues. If the wiring was "hot" when the fire occurred there could be melted / burned through sections in the harness that will fail soon after the repair, and..cause another fire (as me how I know this..)
Beetle_Juice73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Don't assume splicing in replacement sections on the burnt parts will fix the issues. If the wiring was "hot" when the fire occurred there could be melted / burned through sections in the harness that will fail soon after the repair, and..cause another fire (as me how I know this..)

The guy who built my 1200 to 1385 put a china remake carb 28 pict, which I noticed the fuel line nipple had just simply slid out in which the spark of the dizzy with fumes and gas spread all over causing the fire the wires are all good, it was the fuel and dizzy that was the culprit
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 super Beetle engine wiring situation Reply with quote

Beetle_Juice73 wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:

The guy who built my 1200 to 1385 put a china remake carb 28 pict, which I noticed the fuel line nipple had just simply slid out in which the spark of the dizzy with fumes and gas spread all over causing the fire the wires are all good, it was the fuel and dizzy that was the culprit

This sounds all good but take the recommendations here seriously. I worked a few dealer's where we repaired the eng comp harness, as you are attempting, many times as that is what the insurance company was paying us to do. Your late type 1 has a very neat multi-plug at base of steering column which you can easily verify if the term 15 (ignition) wire is melted in any way. Same for under the rear seat (left side) and up around the fuse box area (red terminal 30 wires).
Your initial pic's show too many black wires that are in the harness, so my intuitive mind thinks something like a replacement harness, previous repair, or something else.
Hope this helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: