Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can I use one year old reseal parts with new fuel tank?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Can I use one year old reseal parts with new fuel tank? Reply with quote

After dealing with and diagnosing an intermittent fuel starvation issue for several months from what I believe is debris causing an obstruction at the fuel outlet, it's time to replace the 30 year old fuel tank.

The tank was resealed one year ago. It wasn't replaced then because there were no apparent fuel delivery issues.

Can I reuse the grommets and crossover pipe? I have plenty of good fuel line and clamps. The reseal kits aren't cheap so I'm trying to save some dough if possible and reasonable.

I see that Van Café offers a crossover pipe with aluminum fittings. Is that a worthy upgrade?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use one year old reseal parts with new fuel tank? Reply with quote

You likely can resuse the one year old stuff if it is not damaged and is supple. Another thing to look at is the two overflow tanks in each front wheel well. There is a grommet on the top of each that fails and allows road water and debris to get into the tank and then drain into the gas tank. But sure to drop them to check this out if you are having troubles with debris in the fuel filter...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use one year old reseal parts with new fuel tank? Reply with quote

probably ok, you need to look at the seals for signs of failure, cracks, tears, misshapen. but I suspect they is probably ok to reuse.

inspect the fuel level sender carefully, if it is worn a good deal on the resistive trace, maybe a good time now to proactivly replace it.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
fleetwood41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use one year old reseal parts with new fuel tank? Reply with quote

Dave,

Funny that you mention the overflow tanks. The driver's side was replaced a few months ago after I noticed it had a gaping hole in it. I suppose this could be where the fuel tank debris entered the system. I guess once the debris in in the tank, it's in there for good? I can't imagine trying to fish something out of the tank without causing issues to the plumbing inside. ???

Bluebus,

I'm afraid to touch the fuel level sender but I guess I'll have to. Thanks for the head's up!
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use one year old reseal parts with new fuel tank? Reply with quote

fleetwood41 wrote:
Dave,

Funny that you mention the overflow tanks. The driver's side was replaced a few months ago after I noticed it had a gaping hole in it. I suppose this could be where the fuel tank debris entered the system. I guess once the debris in in the tank, it's in there for good? I can't imagine trying to fish something out of the tank without causing issues to the plumbing inside. ???

Bluebus,

I'm afraid to touch the fuel level sender but I guess I'll have to. Thanks for the head's up!

Yes, the overflow tank if compromised will allow things kicked up by tires to enter the fuel tank, including water, basically a hole in the overflow tank is like a hole in your gas tank. you may find upon removal of the gas tank that you can rinse out the junk in it (remove the level sender first, plus the level sender hole is a good place to examine the tanks inneerds from. no problem rinsing the tank with soapy water, then clear water, preferably hot water, drain it well and dry quickly in sun, then slosh some thin oil in the tank to prevent rust till your ready to install. Danger... even after washing, the empty tank may still pose an explosion risk, so treat it carefully, no sparks, flames, and watch where you store it not next to a furnace!

make sure the overfill tanks are 100% sealed. make sure the gromments on top are sealing, else water and dirt pours on in, also make sure the hoses are not failed, likely the original hoses are no good anymore, they may look ok from outside as the cloth braiding can hide the cracked rubber under it. my old hoses weeped fuel, but looked ok. use the new fangled lined hoses (sae 30R9 rated or equivelent) so the new fuels mandated on us wont rot out the hose as it does on original hoses. the small metric size in lined hose might be hard to find, but sae 1/4 inch ID hose of the lined type will work fine, providing you use hose clamps, it is atad loose, but use of hose clamps solves that problem. with the 30R9 lined hose, the hose will probably last many decades with no leaks.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: