Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

AlteWagen - Thanks for the detailed post, but I don't believe any of that had anything to do with my initial or follow up inquiries.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

Dude, I read this thread agin and I can't believe you finally got the hightop! How long have you had it? Stoked you got it!
’65 Deluxe Build
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Dude, I read this thread agin and I can't believe you finally got the hightop! How long have you had it? Stoked you got it!

Unfortunately I didn't get it, I had to let it go. The seller of the fiberglass top I was purchasing was more than happy to hang on to it until I got to WV to pick it up, but with the realization of my beam rotting from the inside and the unfinished engine, I didn't want to drag him along any longer.
My pop top is toast, useless in any weather other than sunny. I'll NEED to find another or finish the stainless top as soon as my bus is mobile again.
I've got some big winter plans for the Devon, I'll be putting up a portable carport soon so I can get started on blasting/metal repair and painting the interior.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

Good evening Samba!
Funds will be available soon to start collecting parts for this build, I'll begin at the least financially exhausting end of the list.
It's been some time since I've explored the current engine bearing options on the market, last I recall, only garbage was being made.
In the 1679 I'm using NOS Mahle mains, NOS Glyco rod and new Glyco HD double thrust cam bearings. Being as I've got time to wait for NOS parts to pop up, what are the best bearings I can find to build this engine?

Also, has anyone had issues with Berg's USA made flywheel gland nut? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=634870

Thanks!
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Good evening Samba!
Funds will be available soon to start collecting parts for this build, I'll begin at the least financially exhausting end of the list.
It's been some time since I've explored the current engine bearing options on the market, last I recall, only garbage was being made.
In the 1679 I'm using NOS Mahle mains, NOS Glyco rod and new Glyco HD double thrust cam bearings. Being as I've got time to wait for NOS parts to pop up, what are the best bearings I can find to build this engine?

Also, has anyone had issues with Berg's USA made flywheel gland nut? http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=634870

Thanks!

Been using brand new Silverline main, rod, and cam bearings for the last 2 years with zero problems. Switched from Mahle when the fit got bad.

As for that gland nut, it looks like every other gland nut I've used for the last 26 years and I've never had one break either. Not sure where they get them made.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

New genuine VW of Basil, a PITA to get out
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
New genuine VW of Basil, a PITA to get out

What was that torqued to? Loctite?

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

It broke before I put the toque wrench or multiplier on it. However tight I could get it by hand with a medium length 1/2" drive ratchet and a 3" extension is what it snapped at. Blue loctite, yes.
I must've ate spinach that day.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

It's been slim pickings for a NOS crank. There seems to be a few factory regrinds floating around but for something uncut, it's been difficult however I was just offered this crank. I'm finding nothing with the part number, does anyone know anything about it? The condition could be better, but it doesn't look 'too' rough to me unless I'm missing something.
Thanks!

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

That's a 1500 crank or earlier, it's not cross drilled. Too much rust on #4 to run looks like, but if it's a 1300/1500 crank (not 40 horse) then it's a perfect core for a stroker. They don't grow on trees
Check the rod journal width, looks right from here but hard to tell from pics.

I think I have a good 1600 crank somewhere.

Why did you put locktite on the threads? shot yourself ion the foot there boss Shocked
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

isnt this quite a bit more than Todd sells his cases for?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2036042
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has discussed fuel quality in Mexico. You could build the most well thought out, best engineered masterpiece of a motor ever built and totally destroy it using the equivalent of drip gas. I thought he said he would be living in the bus in Meheco or 3rd world countries or the sort, if not forget my comments or not.

Because of my juxtaposition to Mexico, I know of at least two engines that were physically damaged by Pemex fuel when these folks decided on a trip to visit relatives in the bowels of Mexico. It may not have even been Pemex fuel, who knows? But that's the point. Down there who the Hell knows what some service station is pumping in your tank?

Have you ever noticed that weird skunk gas, burning waste oil smell emanating from the car exhausts in the border towns? I have, although we quit going down there when people started coming up missing. Except Cabo, we still go there........but we don't drive.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

I saw a couple of pages back that you wanted a lighter clutch pedal feel, and I know you'd probably rather buy German over Brazilian… Wolfsburg West currently sells the three-arm pressure plate by Sachs, made in Germany, that is the lightest pressure plate I have ever felt. I know RichP hated the feeling of it, but I battle LA traffic weekly, and it is the best feeling under the 'ol left foot for those urban drudges.

Of course, this would mean using the early style (correct for a '6Cool throwout setup, but I think it's worth it for the feel on a mild or stock engine.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I saw a couple of pages back that you wanted a lighter clutch pedal feel, and I know you'd probably rather buy German over Brazilian… Wolfsburg West currently sells the three-arm pressure plate by Sachs, made in Germany, that is the lightest pressure plate I have ever felt. I know RichP hated the feeling of it, but I battle LA traffic weekly, and it is the best feeling under the 'ol left foot for those urban drudges.

Of course, this would mean using the early style (correct for a '6Cool throwout setup, but I think it's worth it for the feel on a mild or stock engine.

Robbie

I had a three-arm pressure plate on my 75 beetle, use one of those with the longer release arm of the late Type 1 transaxle, after driving a few early trannies, and it'll feel so soft you'll think you have a broken clutch cable the first few times you drive it, almost no clutch pedal effort at all Shocked

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

A new concept 1 fan shroud is on the way.
It was on sale for black Friday @ $200, $100 off the normal price. I couldn't help myself.

After moving across the country, I finally have some mental space to devote to the bus, which was left in Illinois with a friend who is a metal wizard.

Everything behind the front seats of my bus is pretty rusty, it will need a lot of replacement metal, massaging and man hours to make right.

Rather than do that, I've almost convinced myself to cut it behind the front seats, stretch and convert it into something resembling a utilitarian variation of a Kemperink, that would be "large" enough to "comfortably" house two people.

Behind the front seats, a steel cage/frame covered in sheet steel with universally sized camper windows and a door - This would make a much more practical vehicle for me long term.

Even though the 17' stretched Pacific North-West bus above is only powered by a 40hp, I'm doubting a 2074 will push that type of weight up mountain passes with the efficiency and reliability I would hope for.

I've been out of the ACVW game for awhile. I've built a lot of engines but I've got little experience with large strokers, I'd like to bounce some ideas off of people who are smarter than me.

While I am still very concerned with longevity and fuel economy, it's becoming clear I need more power and may have to make sacrifices.

On to my thoughts/questions.

First, rod angle: To go larger than a 78mm crank, you need performance rods because stock rods become over stressed and will fail.. however how much of a role does rod angle play in bearing wear?

Second, ratio rockers: Stock lift rockers and low lift cams are thought to be "gentle" on the valve train, however with the design improvements made to ratio rockers vs stock, many reputable sources claim ratio rockers will slow valve/valve guide wear and help extended the engine's life - I'd assume this is largely because most ratio rocker arms sit off-set on the rocker shaft, while the stock rockers sit center.

.. But which is truly easier on parts?
For example, two 1600 engines.. One, bone stock except for Porsche valve adjusters. The other, stock except for CB 1.3 rockers and the accompanying pushrods. Which would show less wear?

Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

Go back to page 1 of this thread and read about the engine I built for this limo bus. It has over 8000 miles on it this summer. Never runs hot, and has been getting decent mileage considering its size and how he uses it.

I dont think rod angle will have too much effect on longevity till you get into the upper end of the RPM range. Build it right to make power before 5500rpm, and you will save yourself all kinds of problems.

The engine listed will be pulled out and checked over this winter. We are doing it as part of a yearly maintenance schedule since this thing powers his summer business.

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Most robust/fuel efficient upright engine for a Type 2. Reply with quote

how is the TF-1 build and stretched bay window build coming?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: