Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Wow, that's some gutsy, impressive work right there!

If you have the choice, go for the 2-bolt suspension. It's technically superior to the 3-bolt, and the ball joint replacement isn't that hard - they can be pressed out at home with 'clamp-type' kit (I've done it). It's not a job you'll be doing every week anyway!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

What a mess you started with. I applaud the level of skill, and the work you have put into it.
Otan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

you are very good at this, i cant believe it is your first VW Shocked

keep up the good work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks Guys , I REALY appreciate the encouragement. Surprised

I have rebuilt a VERY rusty 69 Mach1 and also a VERY rusty Maverick Grabber so the experience helps immensely

As for the 2 bolt or 3 bolt ball joints ..........This the first time I've given it any thought at all . Being the suspension is my next big order for the car I should decide. What are the pro's and con's ? I have no idea. My first thought is to change as little as I have to. My goal is to have the car done by summer
garyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Ah, ok, thanks, worth knowing.
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

jerrybromley wrote:
As for the 2 bolt or 3 bolt ball joints ..........This the first time I've given it any thought at all . Being the suspension is my next big order for the car I should decide. What are the pro's and con's ? I have no idea. My first thought is to change as little as I have to. My goal is to have the car done by summer

It's not something to lose sleep over.
•If you were planning to convert to factory rack & pinion you would have to fit the 2-bolt suspension (and remove the reinforcement under the spare wheel well and fill the steering box / idler holes in the body and install the R&P mount captive nuts in the body and reshape the floorpan frame head for the additional clearance...)
•Either can be used with with steering box, it's possible that the tie rod arms are slightly different lengths, I'm not 100% sure
•2-bolt setup has a negative steering radius, which is an improvement, but you need the correct ET41 wheels fitted to get the geometry correct
•Some say the 3-bolt is stronger, but I don't know what evidence is offered for this
•There is no real difference in maintenance requirements or parts availability for either setup. 2-bolt balljoints have to be pressed in and out, but it's no big deal.

In practice, I doubt it will make a significant difference to the driving experience whichever setup you choose (except R&P of course)
Dodgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Possibly more important than deciding on 2 bolt or 3 bolt struts will be the type of dampers you fit in the struts. I'd recommend you avoid gas dampers, the additional springing effect will make the car sit nose up. Oil dampers don't add to the lift in the same way.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Nice work. Most people would have scrapped that one.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks for the input on the front suspension .
In light of all the other extra work I've got going on this car I will probably just put some sport springs on the front to lower it a little and stay with the 3 bolt that were on it . I'm not working for a performance car here just a nice little driver thats reliable.
The info on the gas struts is new to me. I am trying to lower it a little so I don't want to undo what the spring should do for me.
Probably tomorrow I'm going to give Topline a call and get there recomedations
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Quick update.... Topline agreed that the gas struts would raise the car some so oil struts it is (thanks Dodgy I didn't know that) Putting in a larger front sway bar and installing a sway bar in the rear , sport front springs , all urethane bushings front and rear. All new ball joints and tie rods and disc brake conversion. Oh and I will stay with the 3 bolt ball joints. All his should make this little Super handle ALOT better.
I found a supposedly good used steering box and idler arm assembly on Ebay (they were sacraficed for the rack and pinion mistake)
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

jerrybromley wrote:
Quick update.... Topline agreed that the gas struts would raise the car some so oil struts it is (thanks Dodgy I didn't know that) Putting in a larger front sway bar and installing a sway bar in the rear , sport front springs , all urethane bushings front and rear. All new ball joints and tie rods and disc brake conversion. Oh and I will stay with the 3 bolt ball joints. All his should make this little Super handle ALOT better.
I found a supposedly good used steering box and idler arm assembly on Ebay (they were sacraficed for the rack and pinion mistake)

Man, that Super is going to really take those corners nicely!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Yea when everything is bad it's time to upgrade ! Very Happy
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

So all my suspension parts are here and I planned on putting in a brass idler arm bushing only to discover the one I ordered was too small by ALOT. Contacted Topline and they got the right one in the mail that day. One obstacle overcome , but as many before me have discovered pulling the arm off the shaft can be a B**CH.
I could not get a puller to grab the arm tight enough to apply enough pressure to actually pull the arm off.
My solution was to grind an area on each side of the bottom of the arm to allow my pullers jaws something to grab

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even with the jaws holding I had to use my Oxy acetylene torch (propane was not enough) to heat it enough to get it to come free
But where there's a will there's a way
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

I saw all my painted front end parts hanging there and I thought about Christmas stockings hanging on the mantle

Except in a gear head sorta way Laughing
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Quick update... the convertible specific re-enforcing metal in the front and side were destroyed in the process of replacing the front end so here are the replacements installed. These are without a doubt the WORST fitting replacement panels I have ever used. The price on them was stupid high. A lot of cutting and bending

first coat of por -15 and sealer on the rear interior

struts ready to go

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

Wow!
Hat's off to you mate!
I've fixed lot's of cars, did a 73 Beetle Vert that needed some love but nowhere near what you have done.

Glad to see you saving it but man it makes me tired just looking at your photos...... maybe I'm just getting old and weary, but I would have passed on that level of rust and I'm a native rust belt boy!

I have a 69 Karmann Ghia Vert I need to get myself motivated to repair, I keep finding excuses! Embarassed

Keep up the good work!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

I hear that a lot . But I bought a new Miller welder and had to put it to good use. That and I'm a glutton for punishment Laughing
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

I thought I would add some photos to update my progress. I have managed to get the body and chassis back together again. With a little luck I will have a roller this weekend with brakes

I know it sorta looks like a clown car right now. The original color was the orange and then someone painted it blue( not a great job either ) the black on the car is POR-15 rust preventative and the red is the new front end I welded on.
When completed the car will be marina blue with a white top. The interior will be a 2 tone black and white. Not factory I know ...but then not much else is either
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

I am in awe! Very impressive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jerrybromley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: It's always worse than you think My 73 convertible rebuild Reply with quote

It's been a little bit since I updated. I think she is slowly becoming a car again. Just ordered the interior for her . It should be here in 4 to 6 weeks ( I was hoping sooner...Oh well)

I'm taking it back to factory paint and then using Metalock epoxy primer surfacer to block it out
My goal is a local 4th of July car show............Wish me luck
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: