Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

76mm crank fit in modern case
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

Do you need to clearstory 76 found one used from friend.
I know 78 you do.

I have case cut 94 welded 3 line boared never used.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

should fit Wink but I really can't believe how guys shy away from a little clearance work Rolling Eyes It's not that hard, more time consuming Laughing Just install crank with rods and check where it hits,, can be done with a 'Dremel Laughing '
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

It was really easy to clearance my case for a 76, some cases can take a 78 dropping in from what I read here on thesamba.

Go slow and take your time, some use double rubber bands on the studs sticking out to keep the rod pointed in the right direction. If nothing else rotate the round to roughly the right position to show yourself how much to clearance. This will helpto show you that you don't have to clearance as much as you think in some areas.

Last note is keeping the crank pulled back to simulate the thrust being set, other wise with it an 1/8" forward you will think you have extra clearance work to do.

After you do this 76 crank you won't mind doing bigger strokes by hand.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

I just did one using stock rods and A pistons that were customer furnished parts and it took both clearancing the case and the piston skirts.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

He reminded me of a very good point with 76 cranks...the old method was stock rods and A pistons, these motors are wider and people did not like building them.

5.5 rods and B pistons with 94 cylinders are a lot easier build. It took me a while to figure that out while researching my 76 stroke build plans.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Did an 85.5 x 78 and it was relatively easy. So much so that I just finished another in short order with a 74 crank! Cool
stevehenderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

My combo has to stay realtivly small
I have built 82*94 before.

92 after AA thick walls * 76 crank
041 heads home ported exhaust ported enlarged.
Stage 2 Engle cam kit.
40 idfs

I have a case cut for 94mm and the rest of the parts except crank.
Case ready to go cut 94 welded #3.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

While the 74 "looked like" it would clear my stock case, I went ahead and cleared it some anyway. Can't hurt! Wink

It cleared good at the top of the case though.

Also, I did have to clear a bit at the bottom of the cylinders, however, I doubt you'd have to even bother with that since your case is opened to 94s. Think

This set up is running very strong now with a progressive carb but I will swap that with a pair of 40 Webers next! Smile
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

it may depend on the rods...and the case too. Ive had to clearance cases for 69 cw crank Shocked ... just remember when doing it & checkingf it the rods need to be in thier running position, not just on the crank, thats how someny cases get holes in them form somebodt trying to clearance with the rod just dangling..I like to use a old cylinder&piston to keep it all in the correct position. dontr assure it willo or wont, check it.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

You can also use two rubber bands going through the pin end bore and wrapped around the 4 studs. This will center the rod as you rotate to simulate running position.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

if your rubbers are the same strength&length.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

Pyroman has it easy. Aftermarket rods and the less beefy case.
Modern cases? not sure.

The late 70's cases I like to use the center main web is cast thicker and that area almost always needs work to fit counterwighted cranks.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Pyroman has it easy. Aftermarket rods and the less beefy case.
Modern cases? not sure.

The late 70's cases I like to use the center main web is cast thicker and that area almost always needs work to fit counterwighted cranks.

Think

Ok, for the 78, I believe they were stock rods prep for stroker and I did have to clear quite a bit on the old case. The 74 went into a "newer" universal mag case and again, it looked like it would clear but decided to do some anyway. Confused

IMO clearancing is not difficult at all since precision is not as critical as boring the case. Matter'O'factly that's precisely why I wanted to build the stroker using stock sized jugs. And I am now extremely satisfied with the result on both engines! Cool

Edit:

Here's the extra clearing I had to do for the 78 that was not needed for the 74.

Last edited by pyrOman on Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

All this talk about clearing just brought up a memory... My first stroker was built on an already clearance and bored new mag case I scored at the Classic. "Ready" for an 82 x 94, as I was putting together the #4 rod looked way too close to the cam sleeve for my liking so I still had to do a bit of clearing there as well as another bit on the center cam bearing boss. Meaning, as already has been stated, that you should ALWAYS check and double check everything for clearing upon assembly!!! Wink
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

my first was a 78 with slipery 87's in it. also when doing the center cam bearing tower, be carfull and stay away from the oil groovey thingy so you dont end up with a big all internal spew and loss of pressure.
icemanhd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 76mm crank fit in modern case Reply with quote

One mans opinion... If you use a 76 Chevy Journal crank and stroker clearanced I beam rods (like the ones AA/CB, etc... sell) the clearancing is very minimal. Smaller diameter chevy journal helps a fair amount and you can run B pistons and a 5.5" rod... Great combo.....
76 912E
87 911 Carrera
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: