Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Very high idle (A/C removed)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Very high idle (A/C removed) Reply with quote

Ok so after 6 months of restoring my Syncro, and bending 2 pushrods as well as breaking some lifters, I've finally got it running. Unfortunately instead of idling it immediately climbs to 2000-2500 rpm. I removed the AC compressor while working on the engine and I did not see a point in re-installing AC (for the winter).

My question is does having the AC wiring disconnected send the wrong signal to the idle control unit? Should I re-install the AC compressor? I'm just about to go put the original Temp sensor back in, as I replaced this also and I want to rule it out as well. The TPS clicks and I will also test it today with my multimeter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

I disconnected my AC wiring and removed the belt on my system with no ill effects on idle. I think it has to be something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Don't forget to give the idle air bypass hose a pinch while it's idling!
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Ok I'll go pinch the hose. Temp sensor change did nothing. I only have 12-13" manifold vacuum currently. And when I shut the engine off I hear a hissing sound as it comes to a stop. I was sure it was a vacuum leak but I've sealed up everything twice. I thought I fixed it earlier today but I had just forgot to plug the AFM back in, somehow that made it run fine.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

- disconnect the plug on the ICV (Idle Control Valve) to see if there's any change

- make sure that he ICU (Idle Control Unit) is connected

- does the throttle body switch give a proper click?
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Also, it's almost certain that these suggestions all presuppose that your idle is correctly set (throttle bypass and afm bypass).
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Ok Pablum, I pinched the idle control valve hose and it idled perfect! Thank you! So that means it's either the control valve or idle control unit? Or could it be any one of the input sensors to the idle control unit? I thought I had tested the control valve earlier, with the key on it vibrates. Is that not an accurate test? Also, when I disconnect the control valve it kills the engine.

I also noticed when fixing up the engine bay the idle control unit was sitting on its side, not up on its perch, so I mounted it on the perch. Maybe moving it around finally killed it? The terminals also look corroded, so maybe new terminals might make the difference. The engine ran good before I started restoring the van, so I was focusing on things I had changed/replaced.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

It sticks when it opens, allowing too much air to pass... clean it well and it should be fine.

I guess there could be some kinda short in the ICU that made it stick open, but probably you have a sticky valve.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

@ loki475

you got a PM
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

I cleaned the control valve for the second time but it wasn't really dirty anyways. The valve moves freely, no sticking at all, and it hums strong with the key on. I'm guessing the idle control unit is toast?
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

If the valve hums, it means the ICU is not "toasted". From personal experience the valve always allows a small amount of air thru, therefore clamping the hose will give you false reading.

Do you have a locker on your van? Check for vacuum leak and make sure all wiring are ok. If the coil signal to the ICU is disconnected the RPM will jump to that RPM range. If the A/C connector is getting 12V, the idle will jump as well, but not the 2000RPM

I once had a similar issue on my van, idle was perfect before I did extensive work on the engine during the winter and on first start-up idle jumped to around 2000RPM, Testing for vacuum leak using "quick-start" and propane revealed nothing. I ended making a smoke tester and found the seals on the Throttle Body were leaking.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

The throttle shaft doesn't feel like it has play but it does look kinda rough. I'll try to find a leak there this afternoon.

When I replaced the coil I had to replace some wire ends at the same time. Maybe I should double check the ICU coil wire.
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

If the TB is rough then wear might be the issue. See post below

https://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/viewtopic.php?p=5172845

The signal for the RPM to the ICU comes from the Hall sender not the coil. Check for continuity.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Another Classic brought to you by VW with some relevance to the topic at hand.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyvKi4V4CI

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

So I went to do some tests for throttle shaft wear and when I started the engine it shot right up to 2500 rpm and kept climbing to 3000 rpm before I shut it down. This makes it hard to look for problems so I pinched the ICV hose just enough to make it idle around 1000 rpm. But as soon as I release the hose it jumps to between 2000-3000 rpm.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Over the winter I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and all fuel hoses so now I'm wondering if excessive fuel pressure would cause this.
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

What's the RPM when you un-plug the Idle Control Valve?
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

When I unplug the idle control valve the engine dies. I think the valve isn't working properly. Every part I could throw at it is in the 300 dollar range. Idle control valve, idle control unit or throttle body. I'm forced to figure this one out but I'm running out of time before the surf season begins. I need my surfmobile!
DometicLover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

It dies, good! I doubt it's the trottle body wear or a vacuum leak then.

Do the idle test and adjustment mentioned here (p121)

http://www.vanagonauts.com/files/Vanagon%20Digifant%20Fuel%20Injection%20System.pdf
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Very high idle (AC removed) Reply with quote

Ok I'll do those tests in the morning. I didn't think it was a vacuum leak. At almost 3000 rpm that would be an obvious vacuum leak. Plus its a steady increase to that rpm. Can a failing control valve raise the idle that high? I couldn't find the #1 input to the idle control unit but I think I did now. Its a white wire?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: