Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Hi folks (or is that volks?),

Short time Samba member but long time VW fan. I came across this 1971 Ghia on Craigslist today and am wondering if anyone can enlighten me on a fair offer (owner hasn't said what he wants, he's wanting an offer). He says it runs and just needs a little tlc. Looks like it has filler on the driver side door, damage on the right front fender (or rust I can't tell from the photos). I'm not sure how much an online appraisal is worth but I'm sure it would help. I can't seem to post the photos so I'll put th link below. Thank you all in advance!

Kind regards,

Bennet Morgenthaler

This is the link:

https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/6052587205.html

If it’s not leaking oil, there probably isn’t any left.

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1973 Hilux w/flatbed & crate motor
1989 Aero & Adams FV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Please tell me you are not serious. Crying or Very sad
Assuming it actually runs, I'd say $350------$500 at the most.

EDIT:
No, I take that back. $250.
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
Please tell me you are not serious. Crying or Very sad
Assuming it actually runs, I'd say $350------$500 at the most.

It would need A LOT of work. And ya I'm not sure I'm quite ready to take on a project so big. And the "...tell me you are not serious." I don't know yet.... if it has an engine and runs that can be worth something for some project way down the line along with the other miscellaneous parts. Right? Thanks for the reply!

Kind regards,

Bennet Morgenthaler

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1989 Aero & Adams FV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Don't waste another second thinking about that rust bucket...it's a piece of crap. There's a reason why the seller only posted a couple of crummy photos in the ad. That's a parts car at best.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

"some small rust spots on body" - lol
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Don't waste another second thinking about that rust bucket...it's a piece of crap. There's a reason why the seller only posted a couple of crummy photos in the ad. That's a parts car at best.

Thanks the heads up! And parts are good Very Happy. This is a learning moment for me. What made you say it's a no go? Anything besides the rust?

Kind regards,

Bennet Morgenthaler

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1989 Aero & Adams FV
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Holey42001 wrote:
What made you say it's a no go? Anything besides the rust?

The rust is a MAJOR issue here...these cars rust from the inside out. If you're seeing rust on the exterior you can bet there are serious issues further in.

Other problems: Left-side door not closing properly; is also dented and full of bondo. Both outside rearview mirrors are not original VW items. Half-assed rust repair work on left-side rocker panel and over rear wheel arch. Large jagged hole in fender where radio antenna would be. Side trim is all missing. Convertible top is totally shot. Missing trim strip around windshield. Missing chrome trim and rubber window scrapers on both doors. Missing VW emblem on nose. Rust holes above right-side headlight. Right side rocker panel and lower front fender completely rotted out. Broken right-side front turn signal lens. Rusty, bent-up bumpers that're also missing several pieces. Crappy paint job.

And this is from seeing only two exterior photos of the car...God knows what else would turn up if more detailed pics were available or if the car could be inspected in person. The ad is also very poorly written. It's one long sentence (with no punctuation) that doesn't give any useful information about the car.

"still an all around beautiful car...just needs little tlc" Yeah, right... Rolling Eyes
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
1967Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

yea.. pass... if you have that car acid dipped to remove all the rust you would be lucky to strain out a handfull of steel at the end...

I would say it's probably worth $500 if you are building another one of a simmilar year and need parts... i.e. engine block for trade in, top frame, seat frames, ect... but the chassis and body on that car are done...
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Yup I passed. I message the "seller" as I was rather busy at the moment. He seemed ok at first later became rather pushy. I said with all of the unknowns (including finding space, a way to get it home, and of course all of the gray areas on the car) that I couldn't offer over $120 (yes very little). But get this! Here's the KICKER! He replied with $40 and it's yours with an -insert obscene activity- from your girlfriend. That's when I said thanks but I'll pass this time Confused. I have no clue how legitimate this sale was but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Anyways thank you all for the pointers and advice. I have lots to learn!

Kind regards,

Bennet Morgenthaler

EDIT: I should also add, at the request for more photos he could not comply and simply said, "u should come here and take it home". I gave him the benefit of the doubt again because it was getting darker. d'oh!

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1989 Aero & Adams FV
vstylist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

As a new person to Ghias, what I would do is see if you have another knowledgeable Ghia enthusiast in your area. You could see if that person could show you their Ghia and give you some watch out for this and that pointers for buying one yourself. I bought my first one for $500 and towed it home and had a lot of dreams for it, but after I got more into the hobby I realized how crappy it was. It was a $500 lesson. It would have been nice to of had someone to stop me before that. Read the threads on here and try to get as much knowledge you can. And try not to get too emotional about the sale. I always get hyped up and think, "there will never be another one, I gotta get this one", only to find a better car 3 months later and end up wishing I had waited.
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

vstylist wrote:
As a new person to Ghias, what I would do is see if you have another knowledgeable Ghia enthusiast in your area. You could see if that person could show you their Ghia and give you some watch out for this and that pointers for buying one yourself. I bought my first one for $500 and towed it home and had a lot of dreams for it, but after I got more into the hobby I realized how crappy it was. It was a $500 lesson. It would have been nice to of had someone to stop me before that. Read the threads on here and try to get as much knowledge you can. And try not to get too emotional about the sale. I always get hyped up and think, "there will never be another one, I gotta get this one", only to find a better car 3 months later and end up wishing I had waited.

Will do. And thank you all for the help!

Kind regards,

Bennet Morgenthaler

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1989 Aero & Adams FV
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

...so much for CA cars being rust free!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like a lot of rust on the passenger side. I'd pass.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
...so much for CA cars being rust free!

Put the "top" down, open both doors, and watch that thing fold like a taco.

I'd like to say......"I've seen worse", but I haven't. Crying or Very sad
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

Quote:
"some small rust spots on body" - lol

more like a few spots of body on all the rust.
Parts car.
The buyer would invest about a $30K restoration to make it a $20K car. Crying or Very sad
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

$500 is what I paid for mine. Replace the lower 8 inches and you'll be 1/2 way there.
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I know I know online appraisals are almost worthless Reply with quote

kman wrote:
$500 is what I paid for mine. Replace the lower 8 inches and you'll be 1/2 way there.

You mean replace everything but the windshield Laughing ?

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1989 Aero & Adams FV
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: