Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165-SR 15 tires
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Short tires on the back like a 165/65/15 will gear down the final drive.

The speedometer only cares about the size of the tire on the drivers front.

Think I'd be mounting winters on all 4 tires, so the shorter ones on front would have the speedo reading high correct? Like 30 when I am goin 25? Would gearing down necessarily be a bad thing for winter driving?

Thanks for the input Randy

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I am not sure just what your goal is here but I would suggest running something like this in a 185/60/15 size or 185/65/15 or even a 195/60/15. I would suggest them at all 4 wheels. Close to the stock 165R15 diameter. You could likely run them all year.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=F...m=86SR5FWF
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
I am not sure just what your goal is here but I would suggest running something like this in a 185/60/15 size or 185/65/15 or even a 195/60/15. I would suggest them at all 4 wheels. Close to the stock 165R15 diameter. You could likely run them all year.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=F...m=86SR5FWF

I think the issue is the 4.5 inch wide rims. Isn't a 185 too wide? Also if 165 65 15 is too short why is a 185 60 acceptable? Isn't that even shorter? Tires confuse me....
I thought the middle number is sidewall height. Ideally I want 165/80/15 but you can only get them for double the price from Holland.
I drive my bug in winter. I have new Nankangs on it now, on nicely painted rims. The idea is to get winter tires on my beater rims to get through the winter months.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Let us use a 195/70/15 as an example.

Actually the first number is the width of the tire in mm. In this example 195mm

The second number is the aspect ratio for the height of the sidewall/section width of the tire 7.68" x 70% = 5.37" Circumference is 8.89"

The third number is the diameter of the rim in inches or 15.

Revs per mile = 783

A stock 165R15 is:

165mm wide. 6.5" section width Sidewall height = 5.33" Circumference is 80.59" Aspect ratio is not specifically defined for "R" but is assumed to be somewhere between 80-82%. Rim diameter is 15" Rev per mile = 786

That help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I looked it up, about the ratio. I was unaware of that actually, thought that middle number was a measurement. that makes sizing tires even more confusing, need to bust out the abacus to figure out if the tire is gonna be the same diameter.
Either way, is not a 185 tread width too large for a 4.5 inch rim? 195 even worse?
I guess paying double for something that actually fits it where we are at these days....

asiab3 wrote:

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

You can mount a 185 or 195 mm wide tire on a 4.5" rim, but you really don't want to go much wider.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Couldn't you adjust the two bolts at your pitman arm a little if the tires rub? Of course, this would increase your steering radius, but not by much if you only needed a little more clearance.

I recently played with my steering u-joint on my '74 Super Beetle. When I was done, I noticed the right tire would rub against the sway bar when turning the steering wheel full right (which, apparently I never do because there was no wear on my tire). So, I adjusted the bolts on the pitman arm to prevent this from happening. The same adjustment procedure would prevent tires from rubbing in other areas. Just don't cut yourself too short, though.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
itskyle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

As somebody who has daily driven a beetle in winter (curse me all you want, but cars were made to be driven) I can tell you wider tires have better traction on the slippery stuff. Believe it or not, I had 205s crammed onto a set of rims bymth epo on my old 66. I picked up a new set of chromium with more of a stock size and the plan was to run chromed either I winter with the 205s, and the stock mounted on the OEM rims painted matching l87 color in the summer.

But, I don't have that car anymore, but serious advice, go wide with winter tires, as much as you can. You're going to be putting a bit of strain on the power train, but the additional traction could be worth it.

Kyle
74 SuperBeetle Auto Stick (I miss that car)
73 SquareBack, Straight Stick (Wife misses this one.)
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a friend who wants the 165 15 tire. As we close out the year of 2016 I'm looking for feedback on these tires. The following is based from my research/opinion:

1- TOP TIER- Nexen SB802, still available for approx. $72-$80 ea
2- RUNNER UP (I guess)- Nankang CX668, available for approx. $45 and up. Some not so good feedback about tire construction failures and being noisy.
3- THE OTHERS (no particular order)
a- Classic AS
b- Veento G-2
c- Federal SS657
d- Gremax Capturer CF2 (interesting this tire has an A/A rating for temp/traction. available in SoCal)
e- Vanderbilt AS (possibly renamed Classic AS)
f- Westlake RP18 Touring

Looking for feedback/opinion on this grouping of tires.
Would you expect a manufacturer's warranty on a $45-$75 tire?
I had e-mailed DiscountTireDirect here on thesamba on 06SEP2016 but never read by them. Discount Tire's local store employee's stink.
Next post I will list the sources I researched.

Bill.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

if you can get the NEXEN SB 802 buy them and forget the rest. I've had good luck with 3 sets of them. The Nankangs you couldn't pay me enough to put them on my bug again.
The rest are probably under Nankangs from what I've read.
most tires have a warranty against defects but usually isn't worth the hassle.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

[quote="rockerarm"]

d- Gremax Capturer CF2 (interesting this tire has an A/A rating for temp/traction. available in SoCal)

I got 5 Gremax CF2's ......I read a lot of feedback reports on them from people who bought them from a North East tire retailer. All good feedback. I put them on this past spring.....they balanced real good, handle good and have a quiet smooth ride. Haven't tried them in the snow yet
Only possible negative (so far) , the tread is not the usual pattern with four grooves but a narrower look and two thick grooves. I like it but some might not. (See them on eBay )

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Outside of my recent questions about snow tires, I recently purchased a set of the Nankangs against Rick and other's advise. I replaced a hodge podge of tires, some very old and leaking, and they were cheap (all 4 bought and mounted for under $260), so even if I am replacing them again in a year or two it has been a vast improvement over what I was driving on.
Reason I say this is because 2 of the tires I took off were those Classic Brand rockerarm mentions above. They were on the bug for close to three years (daily driven, thru winter)and I have to say I was kind of impressed with how they wore in that time. I had them on the rear the whole time, and there is still plenty of life left on them. When I bought them I think they were $80 each from Sullivan Tire, and they lied to me and said they weren't Chinese-they are. Whether they perform better or worse in terms of handling and grip, I can't say (I did spin out in winter a couple of times), but they were durable to say the least. One sits in my trunk as my spare now.
All my VW $ is going to the bus, once that is done I should be able to shower the bug with some attention Laughing

asiab3 wrote:

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

Anybody ever used or heard of Gislaved tires? Just found these original stock size (155-SR15) tires nearby:

http://fayar.craigslist.org/pts/5981228908.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quick googleMF search says they were originally a Swedish brand and are now an offshoot brand of Continental. Wonder if worth grabbing..?

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

$100?? With rims and hubcaps? Id be all over those. Tread looks good although they have that old rubber gloss on the one sidewall. Can't hurt to see them in person if they're close by.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

check the date code before you do anything. Those tires are probably over 20 years old ? the tire shop I worked at in the 80's sold that brand and size.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

After spending more at a local shop for the 165/80-15 tires, I was just searching some sites on the web and found these. I have the Nankang's mounted and although not a winter tire and barely an all-season looking tread, they have done surprisingly well in 6 to 12 inches of snow in unplowed side streets.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTir...amp;cs=165
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I see the 165/80 Nexen SB802 for about $53 and The Kuhmo Power Star 758 for $65 at mamotorworks. Any suggestions on performance? I have Kuhmo on my 77 SB, and they seem ok, but I have only had them on for the last 5k miles and they are ready to be replaced. thanks
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

https://www.performanceplustire.com/tires-for-sale/vitour-tires/galaxy-r1-whitewall/ts:165-15/

This looks interesting. 1/2 the cost of the Cokers tires.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I bought a Veento 165/15 tire earlier this year. Big mistake. Went out of round after only a couple months.

Decided to replace all four tires with new Firestone (coker) F560 radials. Car rides smoother, steers easier, and is quieter. Also the tires are round. Life's too short to F about with cheap tires just because they're cheap. Especially when the "expensive" ones are only a few bucks more.
pbnj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: 165-SR 15 tires Reply with quote

I've seen mostly positive reports from folks on the Nexen tires, with a few being not too happy. Interestingly I was at the Auto show in Dallas last night and noticed that all the Mitsubishi vehicles were running Nexens.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: