Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

So, has anyone replaced their Syncro's gas tank straps without dropping the transmission (or engine + transmission)? I'm looking around and I think it might be possible but I might be overlooking something. GW instructions say I need to drop the tranny.

... well, I also need to replace the sending unit (which the search revealed can be done on the vehicle). Am I just causing more work by trying to leave the tranny/engine in place?

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

I believe it can be done, if you can feel brail and our patient. Although you may have just upped the game on the syncro starter for "most horrible job".

Harbor freight may have some long reach ratchet wrenches in the "S" or long sweep "U" shapes that may make this job easier.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Thanks. I've been working for hours trying to get the rusted nuts off the sender and have removed zero so far. REALLY was hoping to leave the drivetrain in place. Might be inevitable.
Back to trying not to start a fire.
-d
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Good luck on the in situ strap replacement. You'll be opening a can of worms dropping the motor and tank because you'll suffer from the never ending "since we're here, we might as well take care of this or that". On the other hand, you could bite the bullet, clean out, replace, de-rust and never think about it again. On this van, the sender nuts had to be shaved off. Too rusty.

Fun!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Yeah, calling it a night. Got all the nuts shaved off but it isn't budging yet. If you can believe it, my straps are rustier than those. Looks like filo dough, what's left of them anyway.
-d
doctorsemaphore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Hey Raoul, my syncro gas straps were so rusty that they crumbled in my hand like potato chips! I, however, was able to still use the upper part of the straps (smaller portion) which require tank removal and just replaced the larger, lower portion. This will work for me until I am ready to tackle tank removal in the future (and then install the remaining straps). Hope this helps.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Honestly I'd take the week to address the tank, clean it, replace the lines with ethanol safe lines, replace all gaskets/roll over valves, sending unit etc.

If your straps look like this, your filler pipe is probably not far behind.

Only you can prevent syncro fires! It's clear that vanagons prefer cremation over wrecking yards.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

I replaced my syncro tank straps, gauge sending unit and fuel hoses without removing the drivetrain/engine. The tank strap on the passenger side requires you make a tool. I'm going out to the shop now so I'll get a picture of the tool I made. I'm pretty proud of the tank strap install I did, shoulda taken pictures.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Honestly I'd take the week to address the tank, clean it, replace the lines with ethanol safe lines, replace all gaskets/roll over valves, sending unit etc.

If your straps look like this, your filler pipe is probably not far behind.

Only you can prevent syncro fires! It's clear that vanagons prefer cremation over wrecking yards.

I was replacing the fuel lines when I determined the sender was junk. I'll inspect the filler tube tonight. Thanks for all the input guys/gals.
-d
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Interested! It's a job I need to do as well, but have been putting off.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

Old sender is out! That took about 8 hours since I couldn't grind or use anything that could produce a spark. I ache.

WildWesty, I just ordered the straps a few minutes ago so it will be a few days before I tackle it. I'll take pictures and notes for you.
-d
WLD*WSTY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Old sender is out! That took about 8 hours since I couldn't grind or use anything that could produce a spark. I ache.

WildWesty, I just ordered the straps a few minutes ago so it will be a few days before I tackle it. I'll take pictures and notes for you.
-d

Ouch! Time for some barley pop...

We all appreciate your documentations!
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

How's your in-tank hose/return look? Mine was like formed plastic. With some minor force it crumbled. It was braking apart in layers, like an onion. I had some of these around the strainer bottom at the tank outlet.

How'd you replace the lines on top of the tank?
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

dkoesyncro,

Yep, the in tank hose broke off like a candy cane. Haven't started the job of cleaning out the junk that I'm sure is in this tank. Assuming this can be replaced with a section of fuel line.

Since the vent lines require dropping the tank, which means dropping the drive train, it isn't happening right now. If I have to drop the engine, it isn't going back in. I really don't want this fuel line/fuel sender/strap project to turn into a Subaru conversion. Wink
That project seems like a "while the tank is out" kind of thing.

-d
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

The submersible line is a specific type... I bought mine by the foot and you need about 16" you can buy enough or extend it in the middle w/ 6" of stainless tube.

The price was like .50 an inch from the flaps. The ethanol will eat standard fuel lines.

Take care
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

30r9 won't cut it? Is it just the core that is fluorinated? Van-Cafe has a specific hose for $8.95 but I have plenty of 30r9 from owning 3 vans.
Guess I'd better just pay the shipping and get the right part.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

The gates stuff is 29079 and generally speaking submersible is higher than the 30r10.

I used the gates stuff. It's readily available at my local flaps, not a shelf item but I got it the same day.

Gates also has green shield fuel line that's ethanol/bio friendly.
CinnabarVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro gas tank straps. Replaced without dropping tranny? Reply with quote

I just replaced the gas tank straps without removing the fuel tank.
I used to old hangers and replaced with two good used and POR-15'd containment straps.
It was a real pain to remove the nut on the hanger without torquing the hanger and breaking it. I drained the fuel and used my micro cutting wheel to hack at the remnants of the old crusty rusty strap. On the firewall the bolts were so rusted that I could not get a wrench on them. I ended up cutting the heads and redrilling and tapping a good thread. Lots of work without much room for tools.

Cheers,
Joel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: